Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2008, 02:45 PM

38 posts, read 103,951 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Birmingham and will be getting my BFA soon. I've been looking at graduate schools everywhere from Portland State, San Francisco State University, and California College of the Arts to the University of Georgia in Athens and the University of South Florida in Tampa. I've heard the University of Tennessee-Knoxville has a good school as well as University of Texas-Austin. I'm not really familiar with any of these areas. I've only ever been to Athens once and I've never been to any of the other places. I'm trying to narrow down places, because I can't afford to check them all out unfortunately.

I'm looking for a LGBT friendly community (open-minded, progressive community) with a very strong art community. I'm looking for more of a progressive art education oppose to traditional. Like NY and Chicago scene, except located outside of those cities. I like the idea of staying in the South because I am really close to my family, but I'm leaving my options open. I like places with good weather (defined: not cold, humidity doesn't bother me at all, I'm okay with rain as long as the sun does eventually come out). I would like to be near the coast. I like the idea of being in a large or at least mid-size city. If I live in the city I'd like to be able to walk to places, but at the same time I want it to be a place where having a car doesn't cost more than it's worth.

I'm going to be a full time student where ever I go, so I don't think I'll be able to swing a full time job on the side. I will be living with my girlfriend so the expense will not be all on me. However, cost is a bit of an issue.

The art is one of my highest priorities. I don't really want to go to school in a place that is ultra-conservative.

I know a lot of people usually mention Atlanta or New Orleans. I haven't been able to find a good school there yet. I've heard some bad things about SCAD in Savannah, even though a lot of people seem to have heard of it in a different light. It didn't rank that high in U.S. News either. (not that U.S. News is all I go by). They offer a lot but all the fields are so segregated. Memphis College of Art is a pretty small school and I've heard that Memphis is kind of dangerous. If you know something different please inform me.

I'm really looking for any information on any of the places mentioned above, or any places that you think sound better.

I don't know if the place I'm looking for exists, I hope so. Please help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2008, 03:14 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
I would suggest talking to your advisor about where to go to grad school. This is not a decision to make on the basis of what you have "heard". Once you get a few suggestions, then evaluate the locations.

Old 07-31-2008, 09:16 PM

38 posts, read 103,951 times
I have talked to a lot of my professors about schools. Some of them went to SCAD and UGA. One of my professors is fond of USF and UGA, as far as their programs. I have read about all of the places I've mentioned, but I was hoping to get some feedback from maybe someone who can offer more first hand information about the places, rather than some informational website.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.