Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Los Angeles: traffic, real estate, mortgage, metropolitan city, earthquake survival.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 05:46 PM

129 posts, read 467,711 times

Advertisements

Ok first, let me say I have never been to L.A

But

Just knowing about all it has to offer-amazing weather,celebs,palm trees,beaches,hot women,etc- Why does it seem so many people DONT like it there?

What exactly is it? Is THAT difficult to get around out there? Is is just too ghetto in some area's?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2008, 05:47 PM

304 posts, read 904,787 times
inferiority complex

Old 06-24-2008, 05:54 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,538,899 times
i like LA

Old 06-24-2008, 06:02 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
i love LA. museums ethnic food great pictures. post on CD bout it all the time.

Old 06-24-2008, 06:23 PM

2,318 posts, read 7,845,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blingnjkbling View Post
Ok first, let me say I have never been to L.A

But

Just knowing about all it has to offer-amazing weather,celebs,palm trees,beaches,hot women,etc- Why does it seem so many people DONT like it there?

What exactly is it? Is THAT difficult to get around out there? Is is just too ghetto in some area's?
Well, here's the funny thing I've noticed about LA. The vast majority of the people I meet on a day to day basis face-to-face love it, or at least like it. It's here on the forum that I find a lot of LA haters. I just think that people who love LA are much less likely to wander on to CD and praise it. Those who dislike it need an outlet and CD is a great place for that. I think it's important to not extrapolate the whole of a city from the subset who participate on on-line forums such as this one. I believe that goes for a lot of cities on here as well, not just LA.

Old 06-24-2008, 06:23 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,920,873 times
I like LA. Good food, good beaches, happy faces. Nowhere near as much stress or unhappiness as I see in other places.

The traffic is pretty bad, but not that much worse than other major cities.

I think a lot of people on CD bash it because of the "if it's not like NYC, it's garbage" mentality.

I like all cities, though, for the most part.

Old 06-24-2008, 06:24 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,610,547 times
Cool California is # 1: good and bad

I've been puzzled by the same reaction of posters [especially some from Chicago & New York].

I think part of the negativity is that Los Angeles is one city an American knows even if he/she has never been here. Television & the movie industry is centered in LA so, of-course, much of what is seen takes place here. Even on the TV commercials I recognize the neighborhoods or downtown scenes where they are filmed. Because the entertainers who live here generate lots of media attention [some of it not very positive] people across the nation begin to think that everyone crash their Lamborghinis into trees while drunk or high on drugs. Also many of the tv programs promote a glamorous lifestyle that attract young people [esp MTV] into thinking everyone in California lives practically on the beach w/ sexual activity 24/7.

Also California is a bit more eccentric than the other states. Our politics & issues can differ from the norm creating a negative perception that we are extremely liberal & out of sync with the rest of the nation. Los Angeles is more culturally diverse & less tradition-bound than the U.S. in general. Just this morning I read in the newspaper the study that found the West Coast to be the least religious of any region in the country.

Then, of-course, there is the magnificent beauty & climate that are idolized. Some become resentful over the natural paradise that is California.

Last edited by happ; 06-24-2008 at 06:34 PM..

Old 06-24-2008, 06:55 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,127,593 times
I love LA and can't stand all the hatred towards it. A year ago I was deciding on where to move to and CHicago and LA were at the top of my list. I don't know if people dislike it because its so different from every other city, or if its the superficial mentality of the city, or if its just that they're jealous of its weather...

It's built differntly than every other metropolis, and has its problems just like any city (big or small) but I still think its a cool, vibrant city.

I personally like the diversity that the city brings to the US. I mean, come on, if you've traveld overseas. Most of the cities within countries look or atleast feel similar. The U.S. is the only country (that I know of) where you can experience the diversity of cities...from NYC to LA, to San Francisco to Chicago, from Denver to San Antonie, from Houston to Minneapolis...

I mean come on, how cool is that? There truly is a city for everybody in this country...be happy with where you live...if your not happy change it!!

Old 06-24-2008, 08:25 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,610,547 times
Quote:
Gtownoe personally like the diversity that the city brings to the US. I mean, come on, if you've traveld overseas. Most of the cities within countries look or atleast feel similar. The U.S. is the only country (that I know of) where you can experience the diversity of cities...from NYC to LA, to San Francisco to Chicago, from Denver to San Antonie, from Houston to Minneapolis...
Excellent point. I can't think of another nation so diverse as the USA

Old 06-24-2008, 08:28 PM

162 posts, read 271,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LASam View Post
Well, here's the funny thing I've noticed about LA. The vast majority of the people I meet on a day to day basis face-to-face love it, or at least like it. It's here on the forum that I find a lot of LA haters. I just think that people who love LA are much less likely to wander on to CD and praise it. Those who dislike it need an outlet and CD is a great place for that. I think it's important to not extrapolate the whole of a city from the subset who participate on on-line forums such as this one. I believe that goes for a lot of cities on here as well, not just LA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
I've been puzzled by the same reaction of posters [especially some from Chicago & New York].

I think part of the negativity is that Los Angeles is one city an American knows even if he/she has never been here. Television & the movie industry is centered in LA so, of-course, much of what is seen takes place here. Even on the TV commercials I recognize the neighborhoods or downtown scenes where they are filmed. Because the entertainers who live here generate lots of media attention [some of it not very positive] people across the nation begin to think that everyone crash their Lamborghinis into trees while drunk or high on drugs. Also many of the tv programs promote a glamorous lifestyle that attract young people [esp MTV] into thinking everyone in California lives practically on the beach w/ sexual activity 24/7.

Also California is a bit more eccentric than the other states. Our politics & issues can differ from the norm creating a negative perception that we are extremely liberal & out of sync with the rest of the nation. Los Angeles is more culturally diverse & less tradition-bound than the U.S. in general. Just this morning I read in the newspaper the study that found the West Coast to be the least religious of any region in the country.

Then, of-course, there is the magnificent beauty & climate that are idolized. Some become resentful over the natural paradise that is California.
It's ludicrous that you two are assuming that Los Angeles is bashed out of spite or jealousy.

Out of all the places to be jealous of, Los Angeles? Come on, if jealousy were the case, why isn't NYC ever bashed? Why isn't San Fransisco bashed? London? Paris? Isn't there more to be jealous of in a city such as New York as opposed to Los Angeles?

Truth is, Los Angeles isn't as desirable as some claim/want it to be. I don't despise Los Angeles (I honestly like it), but it certainly isn't any sort of paradise. It's just another city, nothing special. Houston on steroids, if you will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.