Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2023, 03:59 PM

1,348 posts, read 876,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Buffalo is in the Northeast. NYC is closer to Buffalo than Milwaukee is as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pincho-toot View Post
The Great Plains are still part of the Midwest, though not all of them. Sort of like Great Lakes is part of the Midwest, but not all of them.

I also associate Iowa with tornadoes to a large degree though not to the extent of states west of it. This is childhood bias though because a book I had when I was a kid had a cartoon tornado for the Iowa section I credit that book with what got me into US geography growing up.
I consider the eastern parts of the great plains states to be midwestern but the great plains west of the 100th meridian has more in common with the west.

Last edited by Kaszilla; 01-17-2023 at 05:24 PM..

Old 01-17-2023, 05:15 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,730,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey the Otter View Post
Below is a map of which metro areas consider themselves Midwest, and I think it's best to hear it from people who live there.

dark green is 80% or more, light green is 50-80%, yellow is 20-50, red is 5-20

And here's the corresponding chart:

Old 01-17-2023, 05:33 PM

372 posts, read 203,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
And here's the corresponding chart:
Louisville on down are all in another region.

Old 01-17-2023, 09:41 PM

53 posts, read 42,475 times
Quote:
Oh come on! We were in Wichita in October 2016 and my husband remarked about the lack of sweet tea lol. Wichita is Midwestern. Lower Midwestern, but Midwestern. The southern states it resembles is Oklahoma and Texas and those states have Midwestern geographical influences anyway.
I don't know about Texas but true that northern Oklahoma from long ago had a lot of people moving there from Kansas and Missouri.

Old 01-17-2023, 09:43 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,575,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
I'm not sure I'd even include Kentucky in the midwest. to me the southeastern boundary of the midwest would be Cincinnati. Actually, to me these states are fully midwest:
Ohio
Michigan
Indiana
Illinois
Wisconsin
ND
SD
Nebraska
Iowa
Missouri
What happened to Minnesota?

Old 01-17-2023, 10:23 PM

678 posts, read 408,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IowanFarmer View Post
Like what? Catholics are the largest religious group - more than doubling Baptists. The cuisine is Midwestern. The accent is Midwestern. The settlement patterns are more in line with the Midwest than the South.

Wichita is warmer than most of the Midwest, but culturally it just isn't Southern.

Places like the Missouri Bootheel and Little Egypt in Illinois are better examples of Southern culture in the census Midwest than Wichita.
I agree Wichita is Midwestern, but I don’t think the Midwest is defined by a single religious denomination, but more so, of religious and cultural pluralism. Catholicism being the dominant church to me, is more emblematic of the Great Lakes and Northeast.

Old 01-18-2023, 07:06 AM

1,351 posts, read 893,471 times
Quote:
The Great Plains are still part of the Midwest, though not all of them. Sort of like Great Lakes is part of the Midwest, but not all of them.

I also associate Iowa with tornadoes to a large degree though not to the extent of states west of it. This is childhood bias though because a book I had when I was a kid had a cartoon tornado for the Iowa section I credit that book with what got me into US geography growing up.
Iowa gets a ton of tornadoes (as well as Missouri) and most maps of Tornado Alley include chunks of both of those states. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tornado_Alley

I believe Iowa and Texas are tied for the most F5s too.

Old 01-18-2023, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doughboy1918 View Post
I agree Wichita is Midwestern, but I don’t think the Midwest is defined by a single religious denomination, but more so, of religious and cultural pluralism. Catholicism being the dominant church to me, is more emblematic of the Great Lakes and Northeast.
I'm not saying Catholicism = Midwest, I'm saying that it's dominance over Baptism/Evangelical churches is an indicator a place is NOT Southern.

Old 01-18-2023, 07:13 AM

678 posts, read 408,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IowanFarmer View Post
I'm not saying Catholicism = Midwest, I'm saying that it's dominance over Baptism/Evangelical churches is an indicator a place is NOT Southern.
Just out of curiosity, where do you get your sources from on this sort of stuff? Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Last edited by Yac; 01-24-2023 at 10:10 PM..

Old 01-18-2023, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doughboy1918 View Post
Just out of curiosity, where do you get your sources from on this sort of stuff? Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site
I just googled "Wichita religious demographics" and Catholics were the largest group at 15.6% with Baptists being half of that.

Last edited by Yac; 01-24-2023 at 10:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.