Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2022, 05:34 PM

14,187 posts, read 22,768,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
That seems to be the case. A lot of state estimates are down from their growth from 2010 - 2020, with the exception of Illinois and West Virginia, which lost people in general during that timeframe.

However, Pennsylvania should show very slow growth over the next 8 years, so it could get back over the 13 million mark by 2030. Illinois will most likely keep its slow decline in population trend continuing through the 2020's.
Pennsylvana is now exhibiting the same weird pattern in its annual population estimates that the Pittsburgh MSA exhibited for most of last decade, where the latest preliminary estimate shows a loss, but the previous year's estimate is revised upward from a loss to a gain. The preliminary estimate in 2021 had Pennsylvania dropping back below 13,000,000, but if you look at the preliminary estimate for 2022, you'll see that the estimate for 2021 has been revised upward to 13,012,059, which is also above the official 2020 Census count. It's likely that Pennsylvania is continuing slow but steady growth that's not seen in the estimates right now, in the wake of all things COVID.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2022, 06:57 AM

7,271 posts, read 10,611,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountain-of-youth View Post
Georgia continues to get more urban. Over 900k in urban county population between Augusta,Columbus,Savannah and Macon outside metro Atlanta.
I mean, that's really kind of the norm now for nearly every state, isn't it?

Every state is technically becoming "more urban" over time, because the only areas really experiencing growth are metro areas over 500,000 people.

Rural areas, by and large, are continuing to hollow out, so the urbanized proportion of the population continues to grow.

Old 12-27-2022, 07:51 AM

12,172 posts, read 8,046,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post

Every state is technically becoming "more urban" over time, because the only areas really experiencing growth are metro areas over 500,000 people.

Rural areas, by and large, are continuing to hollow out, so the urbanized proportion of the population continues to grow.
Yup. Pretty much my take on this.

Old 12-27-2022, 08:30 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,819,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post

Yep, even states that are still growing rapidly, such as Texas, are seeing losses in rural areas. West of I35 isn't doing as well as east of it.

https://www.county.org/getmedia/be63...373&height=350

Old 12-27-2022, 02:28 PM
Status: "Worship the Earth, Worship Love, not Imaginary Gods" (set 22 hours ago)

8,360 posts, read 5,525,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
Yep, even states that are still growing rapidly, such as Texas, are seeing losses in rural areas. West of I35 isn't doing as well as east of it.

https://www.county.org/getmedia/be63...373&height=350
Almost all the growth in Texas involves DFW, Austin, San Antonio, and Houston. Most other places are stagnant or declining. Looking at your link, its basically that plus Lubbock, Amarillo, and the Permian.

Old 12-27-2022, 03:55 PM

12,972 posts, read 9,672,214 times
South Carolina is really growing as well, I believe we are the 3rd fastest growing state. The vaster majority of that growth is in our 3 urban areas, the rural areas are not growing much at all and in many cases have lost population.

Old 12-27-2022, 05:06 PM

3,165 posts, read 2,219,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
South Carolina is really growing as well, I believe we are the 3rd fastest growing state. The vaster majority of that growth is in our 3 urban areas, the rural areas are not growing much at all and in many cases have lost population.
County population estimates are scheduled for release in March, but previous data has suggested several areas of growth across South Carolina, in no particular order -
  • Greenville/Spartanburg
  • Charleston
  • Columbia
  • Myrtle Beach
  • Hilton Head Island/Beaufort
  • Charlotte suburbs/exurbs
The Myrtle Beach area especially has seen some of the fastest percentage growth in the nation.

Old 12-27-2022, 05:53 PM

12,972 posts, read 9,672,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas75 View Post
County population estimates are scheduled for release in March, but previous data has suggested several areas of growth across South Carolina, in no particular order -
  • Greenville/Spartanburg
  • Charleston
  • Columbia
  • Myrtle Beach
The Myrtle Beach area especially has seen some of the fastest percentage growth in the nation.
Yes, I've met a few people from NJ who have relocated there.

Old 12-27-2022, 05:54 PM

583 posts, read 306,998 times
How are homeless population counted and estimated? Same for snow birds.

Old 12-28-2022, 02:15 PM

1,462 posts, read 2,962,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas75 View Post
  • Greenville/Spartanburg
  • Charleston
  • Columbia
  • Myrtle Beach
South Carolina has some pretty well rounded metropolitan areas that are growing healthy (Greenville/Spartanburg, Columbia, and Charleston are flirting with 1,000,000 each soon, with GSP over that if you count the CSA) and including the Charlotte suburbs (York and Lancaster County) I can see why it’s growing at such a fast rate. The coastal area is probably number 2 for retirement after Florida in the Southeast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.