Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2021, 02:06 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,172,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
Santa Fe though is not a suburb of Albuquerque and is also the state capital
Santa Fe is in the CSA though, and is only 50 miles away or so, linked by both commuter rail and an interstate with fast speeds. We’re not talking San Jose to San Francisco here, but it is definitely quite linked to Albuquerque.

And in that regard, Santa Fe, not Albuquerque, has the prestige “it” factor, both nationally and internationally. It’s a huge art market (both per capita and actual size), linked to numerous celebrities (George R.R. Martin, Georgia O’Keefe, Val Kilmer, Oprah, etc.), and is much more of a tourist destination. While Albuquerque is far larger, it has a poor reputation. Breaking Bad put it on the map, but the city is unfortunately pigeonholed into that artistic rendition (see this year’s murder rate). ABQ doesn’t have a great reputation, despite the balloon fiesta, Netflix and Sandia Labs/Intel/Amazon, etc. It’s a medium sized metro with poverty and drug issues in a poor state.

Meanwhile, Santa Fe is bourgeois, has a cooler climate, is wealthy and actively cultivates an artsy fartsy image (“The City Different”). Celebrities film in Albuquerque, but are spotted and live in Santa Fe (and Taos). Albuquerque may be the economic engine of the state, but it pales in reputation to Santa Fe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2021, 09:35 PM

5,743 posts, read 3,596,319 times
This whole discussion is meaningless, until somebody (preferably the OP) defines "outshine"

Old 09-07-2021, 06:53 AM

6,083 posts, read 10,695,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
Santa Fe is in the CSA though, and is only 50 miles away or so, linked by both commuter rail and an interstate with fast speeds. We’re not talking San Jose to San Francisco here, but it is definitely quite linked to Albuquerque.

And in that regard, Santa Fe, not Albuquerque, has the prestige “it” factor, both nationally and internationally. It’s a huge art market (both per capita and actual size), linked to numerous celebrities (George R.R. Martin, Georgia O’Keefe, Val Kilmer, Oprah, etc.), and is much more of a tourist destination. While Albuquerque is far larger, it has a poor reputation. Breaking Bad put it on the map, but the city is unfortunately pigeonholed into that artistic rendition (see this year’s murder rate). ABQ doesn’t have a great reputation, despite the balloon fiesta, Netflix and Sandia Labs/Intel/Amazon, etc. It’s a medium sized metro with poverty and drug issues in a poor state.

Meanwhile, Santa Fe is bourgeois, has a cooler climate, is wealthy and actively cultivates an artsy fartsy image (“The City Different”). Celebrities film in Albuquerque, but are spotted and live in Santa Fe (and Taos). Albuquerque may be the economic engine of the state, but it pales in reputation to Santa Fe.
Does Santa Fe really outshine Albuquerque though? It has the biggest tourist draw in the state by far, recently booming film industry and arguably better name recognition than Santa Fe (Even though it’s not as wealthy and has a so-so reputation).

Old 09-07-2021, 07:10 AM

255 posts, read 159,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Cape Coral is larger but its annexations. Fort Myers runs SWFL and it is Fort Myers' metro. Fort Myers is larger than it appears on paper. Honestly when it comes to SWFL, its Fort Myers, then Naples, then Bonita Springs/Estero, then Punta Gorda, then Cape Coral.
Isn't Cape Coral listed first in the MSA though?

Old 09-07-2021, 07:12 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,444,160 times
I see why people think it, but its interesting to me that people are saying St Pete over Tampa when Tampa currently has more to do and more going on. St Pete shines in its downtown and the beaches, and that's really it. There's just as much if not more going on around downtown Tampa than in downtown St Pete. And even then dtown Tampa is not as dead as people on this board think it is.

Also, Arlington over DC? What are yall smoking? And i've lived in Arlington. I can't think of any examples. The principal city always wins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartonro View Post
Does Ft Myers, FL count? I believe that Cape Coral is larger but it seems like I hear about Ft Myers more.
Cape Coral is larger on paper, but Fort Myers runs SWFL and it is Fort Myers' metro. Fly into SWFL, you will hear "welcome to Ft Myers", not "welcome to Cape Coral." Honestly when it comes to SWFL, its Fort Myers, then Naples, then Bonita Springs/Estero, then Punta Gorda, then Cape Coral.

Old 09-07-2021, 07:13 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
Most answers in this thread are a huge reach, to say the least…
Yeah I agree saw Arlington over DC. Definitely not.

Old 09-07-2021, 07:19 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,444,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartonro View Post
Isn't Cape Coral listed first in the MSA though?
Because the bureau always lists the largest city first. I've been to Cape Coral, nothing runs through Cape Coral. It is not the most important city in SWFL, not even close. SWFL belongs to Fort Myers, and then Naples. That is where the airport, the jobs, the culture, the attractions, the sports, FGCU, and the life is.

Fort Myers has not annexed like CC has. 39 sq miles of land vs 106.

It is the same reason North Port is listed over Sarasota. But go to Sarasota, or Bradenton. North Port in reality is below both of them. No one who lives in Florida actually believes North Port is larger than Sarasota. Again, 14 sq miles vs 99...Sarasota, like Ft Myers, runs the metro.

Old 09-07-2021, 07:49 AM

255 posts, read 159,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Because the bureau always lists the largest city first. I've been to Cape Coral, nothing runs through Cape Coral. It is not the most important city in SWFL, not even close. SWFL belongs to Fort Myers, and then Naples. That is where the airport, the jobs, the culture, the attractions, the sports, FGCU, and the life is.

Fort Myers has not annexed like CC has. 39 sq miles of land vs 106.

It is the same reason North Port is listed over Sarasota. But go to Sarasota, or Bradenton. North Port in reality is below both of them. No one who lives in Florida actually believes North Port is larger than Sarasota. Again, 14 sq miles vs 99...Sarasota, like Ft Myers, runs the metro.
I agree with everything you said, which why I thought of Ft Myers for this thread. Since Cape Coral is listed first in the MSA, it's also a principle city.

Old 09-07-2021, 08:02 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,731,504 times
I think people have to look at national level.

Bellevue or these other "lesser known" cities listed don't make the cut. Most people outside of the area have no idea what these cities are.

Scottsdale AZ would probably be the best example of secondary city outshining the main one.

Someone mentioned St Paul, but truth be told they probably truly do operate as "twin cities" and not 1 vs 2.

Old 09-07-2021, 08:07 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,751,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
Johnson County and Shawnee Mission KS over Kansas City
Maybe 30 years ago. Now, Kansas City, Missouri has turned things around rather significantly. The fastest growing part of the metro isn't even in Johnson County anymore. That would be the Northland, much of which includes areas within Kansas City's limits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
While not exactly what OP asked for, North West Arkansas metro out shines Fayetteville, the largest city of the metro. My favorite city in the metro is Bentonville not Fayetteville.
I'm from Arkansas. Growing up in another part of the state, Fayetteville is all we really knew about that isolated northwest corner.
Something about Walmart was there, but half the time I got it confused with Benton down by Little Rock.
Now, all that mess seems the same with a few larger towns, none of which none really stand out above the rest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.