Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2021, 11:53 AM

24 posts, read 12,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
2020 Census release date(July 1, 2020 data)

*Dates are subject to change.

March 2022

County population and demographic components of population change
Puerto Rico municipal population
Metropolitan and micropolitan statistical area population and demographic components of population change

April 2022

National population by age and sex

May 2022

City and town (incorporated place and minor civil division) population
National, State, and County housing units
So we won't even know more data until next year? I thought they were going to release more info in June, that's a long delay..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2021, 12:26 PM

14,053 posts, read 13,926,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cascadia View Post
So we won't even know more data until next year? I thought they were going to release more info in June, that's a long delay..
COVID delays

Old 05-30-2021, 12:34 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,008,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
COVID delays
How are they going to do redistributing? Doesn’t that have to happen by the end of 2021? You can’t redistrict off statewide populations.

I don’t see how they can wait until May 2022, that’s after many primaries

Old 05-30-2021, 05:16 PM

7 posts, read 5,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSci View Post
So if you don't think that an estimate (i.e. a "guess") can be off by 5%, you are then telling us that the actual hand count (i.e. the 2020 Census) would have to be off by 5%.

So which are you going to believe:
(A) the one where people in an office took last years estimated numbers and reviewed birth, death, IRS, and Post Office records to add-or-subtract changes?
or
(B) the one which hired 500,000 people to locate and identify every person in the United States through responses by the residents, door-to-door canvassing of homes, visits to neighbors, reviews of Post Office, real estate, birth/death records, immigration records, IRS data, utility bills, data from previous Census, and more?

And, if you still think that the 2020 hand count was wrong, then why should you believe that the 2010 hand count (from which all yearly estimates derive from) wasn't also wrong? Maybe it was 2010 numbers that were wrong, and the mistake wasn't caught until the recount in 2020. Maybe there were 800,000 more NYers in 2010 that were missed until they were found and counted in 2020?

No matter what, any mistake in hand counts are always because they missed (i.e. did not count) someone. Either you count someone, or you don't. Its all addition.

Estimates can be mistaken by being too high or too low, because they are not counting actual people, but looking at records of additions (birth, migration) and also subtractions (death, outward migration). Migration records are not always clear, since people move often, their children may not be on the records if not born in the state, some don't register vehicles or pay state taxes, some don't pay utilities, some don't have postal addresses.
I don’t remember the 2010 census being by off by that much, and yes I do think the NY 2020 population is over counted.

Old 06-03-2021, 01:32 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,398,025 times
Default It seems that LA and NYC will have more people in the new census.

With all the news about people fleeing these cities you would have thought both places would at least see a 2% decline. You would have also thought by this census both cities would eventually see the decline since these articles and news stations have been posting about this for the last decade if not longer.

Last edited by JMT; 06-03-2021 at 07:21 PM..

Old 06-03-2021, 01:54 PM

12,161 posts, read 7,997,139 times
Yeah, NYC definitely has 8.5m people.
LA may have hit 4 million, possibly.
Boston definitely hit 700k.

Old 06-03-2021, 07:42 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,041,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
With all the news about people fleeing these cities you would have thought both places would at least see a 2% decline. You would have also thought by this census both cities would eventually see the decline since these articles and news stations have been posting about this for the last decade if not longer.

The OFFICIAL census date is April 1.
Which was early in the pandemic.

But even with that....thousands of people fled western Washington to eastern Washington during that time period.

So....did they follow the Census instructions and specifically say where they were on April 1st?? I suspect most of them ignored that portion of the instructions.

Most of neighbors are second home owners from western Washington and they ALL showed up during the early days of the pandemic and kept driving back and forth. I don't think any of them filled out the census form correctly.

On purpose, I did NOT answer the follow up survey left at my second home. The Census never followed up.

I suspect the 2020 Census is one of the worst on record.

Old 06-03-2021, 08:30 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,805,346 times
I don't even think anyone knocked on my door. I went outside one day and there was a notice on the ground near the door stating that a census taker had passed by.
The dogs raise hell when someone knocks so I think they came by and just tucked a piece of paper near the door

Old 06-04-2021, 08:58 AM

824 posts, read 712,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
I think the outmigration has been stifled and over-exgerrated. It’s not to say that there hasn’t been any movement whatsoever, but housing prices in city-propers are as high as ever. The massive business closures that were predicted to happen didn’t happen to the extant that many experts thought because of federal aid from the two covid relief bills.

The collapse of main-street businesses almost happened but data shows vulnerable business owners made good use of federal aid.

Old 06-04-2021, 09:05 AM

12,161 posts, read 7,997,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeasterner1970 View Post
I think the outmigration has been stifled and over-exgerrated. It’s not to say that there hasn’t been any movement whatsoever, but housing prices in city-propers are as high as ever. The massive business closures that were predicted to happen didn’t happen to the extant that many experts thought because of federal aid from the two covid relief bills.

The collapse of main-street businesses almost happened but data shows vulnerable business owners made good use of federal aid.
Agreed. I always found it hard to believe people were fleeing Manhattan..... when rents were increasing, vacancy was at all time lows and construction was pretty consistent. Never made sense that they said at one point NYC was losing 50k a year. If that were the case, rents wouldnt be up 10% YOY with 20,000 new units online per year.

Same with Boston. They said population fell in 2019 after stalling in 2018. Again, found that extremely hard to believe. Rents cant increase, apartments cant have all time low vacancy with construction picking up through the decade.... with a declining population

I really do think cities like NY LA Bos were undercounted. And all data points to that. I just dont know where they got the very very steep decline from. Population grew slowing from 2016 onwards. But declined? No

Precovid ofc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.