Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2020, 09:53 AM

771 posts, read 626,405 times

Advertisements

https://www.businessintelligenceinfo...ten-in-1981-by

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ni..._North_America

This book is from the early 1980's and argues that North America is divided into nine nations. Do you believe this is still true to this day or is it a dated idea?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2020, 10:25 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,809,142 times
I think the idea was dated in the 80s too.
I think America is more divided now but not in these dated divisions.

Although there's still tons of regional divides I think the divide between urban/suburban and rural is more prominent than regional divides.

I love hearing the difference in accents as you go across the country. But what I have noticed is that the city accent differences are more subtle from city to city but more pronounced from rural area to rural area. I guess that globalization affects cities at a rapid rate but affect rural areas faster.

America is becoming more and more urban.
It's not that the regional cultures, accents, etc are gone, it's just that the regions are not as monolithic as they used to be.

Old 08-15-2020, 10:46 AM

8,495 posts, read 8,787,669 times
"MexAmerica" should probably be 2 regions. If "The Islands" is a separate region, I think Southern California should be because of the Asian presence in that mix. One could chip away at "Breadbasket" from three directions but it probably stays for now.

Old 08-15-2020, 11:22 AM

4,605 posts, read 2,999,207 times

Another author came up with eleven:

www.amazon.com/American-Nations-History-Regional-Cultures/dp/0143122029/ref=sr_1_2

The author looked at historical migration patterns as part of his analysis,
so like Garreau in "Nine Nations," Woodard ignores state lines... his "Midlands" region sprawls across
all sorts of boundaries.

Old 08-15-2020, 11:56 AM

885 posts, read 624,546 times
About 10 years ago, I read a book which is in a similar vein. The title is "Our Patchwork Nation", which was written by Dante Chinni, along with James Gimpel.

The gist of this book is that you can understand the USA's complex cultural and political landscape by studying 12 distinct types of communities. This book illustrates how America's diversity often defies conventional wisdom.

Recommended reading.

Old 08-15-2020, 04:54 PM

1,726 posts, read 1,721,547 times
To my surprise, a remarkable number of cities, townships and villages in Michigan were named after earlier settlements at New England.

Link: Feature: Places in Michigan that have the same city/town names as New england

Additionally, many villages in Michigan have a downtown area, which is a trademark of "Yankeeland" and something you rarely observe in, say, Maryland or Pennsylvania, both of which are geographically closer to New England than Michigan.

Example: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.1198...7i16384!8i8192

Unfortunately, there is very little exchange between Michigan and the New England states in the modern era, so most people would be unable to observe the similarities of the two regions.

This book elaborates on the cultural crossover between Michigan and the New England states and discusses how the original Yankee settlers, many of whom were actually from New York State and one or two generations removed from New England, left a deep imprint on the culture of Michigan that has endured for centuries now: https://msupress.org/9780870138256/yankees-in-michigan/

Old 08-15-2020, 05:03 PM

8,494 posts, read 4,738,627 times
It doesn’t look that accurate, but it does echo the geography classes I took in college. I was particularly fascinated by the regions it broke the US into. I can’t recall them now, but his basic premise that you have to understand the regionalisms still holds up.

Old 08-17-2020, 06:56 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,037,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by costellopresley82 View Post
https://www.businessintelligenceinfo...ten-in-1981-by

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ni..._North_America

This book is from the early 1980's and argues that North America is divided into nine nations. Do you believe this is still true to this day or is it a dated idea?

My wife and daughter just completed an 11-day drive from my Southern city to Arkansas, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada, Utah, Colorado, Kansas, Missouri, Illinois, Kentucky, and Tennessee.

We were talking about this very book as we drove. Completely on target. Geography has so much bearing on the economies, cultures, and lifestyles of a region.

Old 08-17-2020, 07:20 PM

3,715 posts, read 3,700,465 times
There are many ways to divide up the regions of the US. And they all will have their faults, because by their nature they are attempting to generalize a large area. For instance, in the 9 above, you've got San Fran lumped in with Alaska?

Anomalies aside, they look reasonable accurate.

Old 08-18-2020, 03:56 AM

1,351 posts, read 896,111 times
I think that's pretty accurate, actually. In particular, they nail the line between the south and the agricultural Midwest. Essentially I70/I44
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.