Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2020, 11:27 AM

14 posts, read 9,246 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! I have enjoyed perusing these forums for awhile now and would love some input regarding the dilemma my family is facing. We are currently living in Los Angeles and LOVE it. However, we realize we will likely never be able to afford the type of house that we deeply desire. We are looking to relocate next year, pending the situation with Covid (we will not be relocating with a pandemic happening). I would greatly appreciate any advice/insight regarding what areas might be a fit for us.

Must haves:
- Somewhat affordable housing. We'd like to have a 3-4 bedroom home with a yard. Yards here in LA are often the size of a napkin. While we don't need some massive plot of land, we would like a yard that our children are able actually run around a bit in and where I could have a small garden. Looking to spend 350-400k ideally. Could spend up to 600k if salaries are a bit higher (like they may be in larger cities).
- Decent, DIVERSE pubic schools. We are an interracial family - I am white and my husband is Black. We of course want to send our children to the best schools, but diversity within the school is as important to us as academics. If all of the decent schools in the areas are only 2-5% Black then it is likely not the area for us.
- A diverse city/town. Goes hand in hand with our school requirement. We would ideally like a city/town that is a melting pot of various ethnicities, cultures and races. Ideally it would have integrated neighborhoods, but I know this can be difficult to come by. I realize we may not be able to find an affordable city that is a melting pot in the way that LA or NYC is, but a decent degree of diversity is mandatory.
- This one may be silly to most...but I CANNOT do the giant cockroaches/palmetto bugs that are everywhere on the Gulf coast. So this likely eliminates much, if not all, of the South and possibly other areas. I lived in NYC for some time and it's one thing if they exist in subways/super urban areas. But it seems like even if you spray your house in the suburban South, you are still bound to find them inside a couple times per year. I also want to be able to sit outside in the summer at night and not have to worry about giant roaches flying at me. Other bugs/pests are not a concern.

Would be nice to have:
- We are liberal and appreciate progressive cities/towns. It is not mandatory that we live in a super liberal/progressive place, but we would at least like to avoid places that are super right wing.
- We are happy living in a large city, small town, suburb, etc. The population of our area doesn't really matter to us, but if we do live in a smaller town it would be ideal to live within an hour of at least a mid-size city due to amenities/recreation/museums/etc.
- We do like the outdoors, so areas with mountains/hills/lakes/beaches/pretty scenery/outdoor recreation of some sort is a plus. Not a deal breaker though.
- Weather doesn't really matter to us. We love the more mild climate of California and the sun. However, we have both lived in cold/snowy/gloomy areas and been just fine. We are happy as long as there is some warmth during the summer months so we can get outdoors.

Thanks so much in advance for your input
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2020, 11:35 AM

186 posts, read 283,931 times
Atlanta. Traffic should not be a concern since you come from L.A. Bedbugs can be found all over the country.

Old 07-16-2020, 11:43 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,710,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crltn19 View Post
Atlanta. Traffic should not be a concern since you come from L.A. Bedbugs can be found all over the country.
I live in Atlanta. It's great for your affordability, climate, proximity to mountains and ocean, and melting pot.

We do have cockroaches and palmetto bugs. They aren't crazy, they aren't everywhere, and they aren't flying in faces. You can find them at night if you are looking for them, but it's not out of control. We do have a pest service and thus hardly see them.

The metro is conservative, but the city is liberal

Old 07-16-2020, 11:44 AM

2,229 posts, read 1,407,163 times
I think you need to get over your fear of harmless bugs (get a cat, maybe?) then a number of cities in the South and Texas could make sense. Though honestly, a bigger yard is kind of a bad reason to move. If that's the only issue with LA I'd probably stay put. One thing you will lose when you leave LA is year-round weather that makes you want to be in your yard in the first place.

Old 07-16-2020, 12:34 PM

14 posts, read 9,246 times
Thanks so much to the posters suggesting Atlanta. We explored Atlanta several years ago and weren't thrilled about the feel of it, but looks like we need to reconsider. Agreed, traffic isn't really an issue for us. We are used to commutes and know to be strategic about where we live vs work, etc. Not worried about bedbugs as neither of us has ever had them and we use a pest service regardless of where we stay. The issue with roaches is from our experiences in Texas and from speaking with friends that live there, that even with a pest service they are still plentiful outdoors and occasionally still find their way indoors. Any recommendation about specific areas of Atlanta to look into?

To whereiend, respectfully I didn't ask for your opinion regarding my aversion to huge cockroaches or preference for a yard. I stated large cockroaches are a deal breaker for me and Texas likely isn't an option due to this fact. I also didn't say we were only moving due to the size of a yard, but it is a factor for us. We will not find a 3-4 bedroom house in LA for under 600k even in a less than desirable neighborhood and we don't wish to rent forever. I'm aware we will lose the weather. As I said LA is not the only place we've lived. I grew up with very cold, snowy winters. My husband and I have both lived in cold/rainy/snowy climates. That's not a factor for us if we are able to be outside some in the spring/summer/fall. Not sure why advice can't be given on areas that fit what's important to us without telling us that we should change what's important to us, but thanks I guess.

Old 07-16-2020, 12:39 PM

506 posts, read 478,631 times
Bloomfield or Windsor, CT, both diverse suburbs of Hartford, check off all your boxes. Both towns have a variety of housing within your budget and all will have medium to large yards. Bloomfield is about 57% African American and 35% white. Median family income is around $84,000/year. The total population is slightly above 20,000. Windsor has a population of about 30,000. Its average household income is about $78,000/year. It is about 54% white, 34% African American, and 8% Hispanic.

Both of these towns have strong schools and close communities. Windsor has some distinct neighborhoods/villages. All CT schools are strong compared to the rest of the country. Both towns abut the city of Hartford which has a world-class art museum, a performance arts center, and many smaller galleries and museums. Hartford is about 30% white, 39% African American, and 43% Hispanic/Latino.

The entire area has over 1 million people and, as you can see, is very diverse. Incomes are relatively high and stable. The average home price in the Hartford region is $227,277. It's a real hidden gem. Property taxes tend to be higher, though.

There are no massive bugs in CT like in the South.

Also, even though Bloomfield and Windsor are considered suburbs, they look nothing like suburbs in a California sense. Both towns have very strong identities. Windsor claims to be the oldest in the state. They have distinct histories and formed separate from Hartford. They have their own town centers, town legends, and local quirks. They feel like true independent towns instead of suburbs.

Bloomfield has beautiful mountain state parks that offer terrific hiking and sweeping views. Windsor is along the Connecticut River and Farmington River. Both have wonderful parks within their borders but also have a variety of hiking in rural areas within just a 15 minute drive. Vermont is about 1 hour away.

In addition, New Haven, CT and Springfield, MA are both under an hour away and offer many cultural attractions. Boston and NYC are about 2 hours. Hartford has an international airport.

New England is unique among other areas of the country in that cultural institutions are not confined to cities. Some of the nation's best art museums, historic houses, restaurants, and performance venues are in rural Western Massachusetts (the Berkshires), which is between 45 minutes and 2 hours away.

The entire state is very progressive and very welcoming. It has a history of immigration. The region has a good and growing job market.

Weather is reasonable. Windsor is in the central valley of Connecticut, which typical does not get as much snow as the state's higher elevation areas. It will still get more cold and snow than CA, but don't think it'll be like Fargo or something. It's extremely rare that snow coats the ground in Windsor for more than a couple weeks at a time at most. Sometimes it melts within a few days. Grass will always be peaking through, reminding you how beautiful the spring will be when it arrives. The fall months alone are worth living here.

And as a more upscale alternative to Bloomfield and Windsor, consider West Hartford, which has around 63,000 people. It's about 79% white, 10% Hispanic, 8% Asian, and 7% African American. Average household income is approaching $100,000/year. This also abuts Hartford and is one of its wealthiest suburbs.

So consider Connecticut. It is a very good state to raise a family.

Old 07-16-2020, 12:52 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,531,593 times
A couple of things: I am white and live in a suburban area of Charlotte that is naturally diverse racially. We have gone to interracial churches for years. One of our sons has a black fiance' and another son has a hispanic fiance. All of this is not by design, but that we just don't look at people's race on any level. One's identity group means zero to us. But when one is hyperly conscience of race and cultural "diversity", it can create problems of a political dogma that rate people in order of their identity group, not treating them as individuals. What's going on in our nation right now in some of the most liberal areas is proof of the dangers that mindset has on community harmony. So the over-importance (IMO) you're putting up "diversity" (also, "diversity" is an extremely subjective word that can have a million different definitions) usually doesn't result in people actually having a better social experience. "Diversity" (the PC version, not the literal definition) usually is going to depend where in the hierarchy of the identity group list you rank.

Liberal = expensive 95% of the time. The most expensive, lowest rates of home ownership, highest rates of homelessness, and highest rates of crime are in cities/metro areas that have been run by liberals for generations. The numbers and stats speak for themselves. The very state you're fleeing from is exhibit A, so it boggles my mind that this isn't obvious. The predictable pattern that has happened for at least 20 years now is Californians drive up the cost of living in CA, tire of it, move to a new state (in the past, WA/OR/CA with TX new being the new victim) that is affordable, then proceed to ignore what created the mess in CA, and proceed to do the same thing in the new state. When natives complain, the newcomers whine that natives "hate newcomers". If you are bent on not acknowledging and changing voting habits mentioned, it would be better to stay in CA or move to another area that's already expensive and screwed up. It's illogical to do otherwise. Don't create the storm and complain when it rains.

PLEASE do not take what I'm saying wrong. I know this belief is not shared by many here on C-D. I really am not trying to be a tool. I truly want you to be where you'd like and be happy. But you have to be realistic and logical in your choices. It's simply isn't fair to move to an area with a great cost of living and in the name of "progress" (which, again, makes no sense) eventually make the new area unaffordable just like the mess you're fleeing. The facts of the matter are not even debatable. I honestly can't in good conscience recommend an affordable area to you if your political mindset isn't different than when you've lived in CA. It wouldn't be fair to the affordable area. I truly hope and pray that you think about things and be open minded to the economic (and in some cases, social [homelessness/Antifa/etc]) realities of what you're leaving in CA. Otherwise, it really doesn't make sense to move. So, the other aspects of what you are looking for really doesn't matter until this is addressed first. Good luck in your search!

Old 07-16-2020, 12:55 PM

13,647 posts, read 7,968,055 times
You should consider North Carolina, upstate South Carolina, or Nashville.

Old 07-16-2020, 12:57 PM

9,434 posts, read 4,261,506 times
How about close by Ventura.

Old 07-16-2020, 12:57 PM

19,029 posts, read 14,226,529 times
There's Atlanta, and then there's the rest of Jawjuh.
GUIDE TO GEORGIA
- - -
As a (damn yankee) transplant (over 28 years ago), I can offer some hints:
__ If you can afford to, rent a year or two before buying a house. You need to fully investigate the area - and perhaps change your criteria on review.
__ Some things are unique to Hot 'Lanta, some are not. Beware fire ants, crazy ants, killer bees, giant pollen and kudzu.
__ If you have allergies or sinus condition, sign up an allergist now - avoid the rush. Pollen output is so prodigious, you need a snow brush to clean your car.
__ Cost of living can be high, in the urbs, and low in the suburbs. But not always.
__ Some areas are notorious for crime. Do Not Move There. [Bars on windows and doors are a tell-tale sign]
__ Unless you can walk to your job and grocery store, you will need a car. Perhaps two cars. Or more. [Except Peachtree City - golf carts rule] [Retirees may get by with home delivery groceries - Wal-Mart, etc]
__ If you like trees, you'll like it here. Falling trees are a common item after every storm, big or small. Saturated soil and small root balls, due to clay soil, render them vulnerable.
__ If you talk too fast, people will not understand you. Speak - slowly - until - you - acclimate. (A true southern accent cannot discern the difference between “pin” and “pen”)
__ If you're looking for a two car garage, 3-4 bedroom, raised ranch, you're in luck - that's the most popular house design around. No FULL basement generally. Georgia red clay everywhere. Orange stained foundations are the norm. Muddy ponds predominate. (In the mountains, you might find clear water...)
__ There are four seasons : Octember, Decembary, Farch and Summer. [A/C essential - or a houseboat on Lake Lanier]
__ Sweet tea is not a reference to the amount of sugar. It's a southern tradition to steep the tea no more than FOUR MINUTES to minimize bitterness. Anyone serving "Sweet tea" from a powdered mix is obviously satanic. It is perfectly normal to order unsweetened sweet tea.
__ Exemplary dining : country fried steak and milk gravy, Bar-B-Cue, Chicken and dumplings.
__ All soft drinks are a "Coke."
__ Boiled peanuts are a local treat. Blech.
__ Vidalia "sweet" onions are a local variety - most excellent - minimal bitterness. Needs special low-sulphur soil.
__ Atlanta telephone exchange is the largest "local" exchange in America...actually it’s the world's largest toll-free local calling zone. But you need to dial ten digits.
__ In hot / humid metro Atlanta, it comes "alive" at night. See: Buckhead. (local joke)
__ Despite the heat / humidity, folks in the country wear long pants as a precaution - nasty little critters.
__ If you like guns, you'll LUV JAWJUH. Cheap ammo from Georgia Arms. Gun shows and shoppes everywhere. Many folks have their own shootin' ranges. Kennesaw, GA has an ordinance requiring all homeowners to have a gun.
__ Georgia pine trees have the right of way. You may have a lawn, but if they get in there, BAM, suddenly towering trees pop up, and your lawn dies.
__ Several big name movie studios have opened up shop in Atlanta, some on a former Army base. Georgia ranks #2 in feature film production (down from #1).

The "Bible" on "real" Atlanta
CREATIVE LOAFING
http://clatl.com/

https://localadventurer.com/things-t...a-bucket-list/

https://www.foodnetwork.com/restaura...to-eat-georgia

Last edited by jetgraphics; 07-16-2020 at 01:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.