Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2019, 09:15 PM

101 posts, read 93,926 times

Advertisements

Are the people more shy or outgoing?
Does it have a lot of forests?
How does the weather compare to the upper Midwest?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2019, 10:48 PM

481 posts, read 422,858 times
I've seen your other posts, and I think your focus on if people are shy or not will leave you disappointed.

When you say shy, what do you exactly want? People who don't talk to you? Or people who are socially 'awkward'? My thinking is that if I went to a place where "shy" people were, I'd basically expect to not hang out with anyone at all, unless I put on my extrovert mask and dragged them out to places. "Shy" people sound attractive to other introverts, but if an entire city is mostly shy introverts, the social scene would be pretty terrible. I'm definitely a heavy introvert who can flip to extrovert, but I think in recent years introverts have been getting way too much praise while extroverts are being left out in the cold.

Gah, sorry for the rant.
To answer your question:
Shy or outoing? Northern Northern New England is mostly rural, with Aroostook county, Maine, being uninhabited in many places. I've lived in a rural place for a short while, and rural folk (from my experience) can be very bubbly and talkative. I usually find them very pleasant people to be around.

Forests? Yeah

Weather? Similar, but maybe a tad less brutal (at least comparing them right now). Still has heavy snowfall. When you see New Englanders post about moving out on these forums, they invariably say "I've experienced X number of New England winters, and I'm getting tired of them"

Old 01-31-2019, 09:37 AM

12,839 posts, read 9,562,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sad_hotline View Post
I've seen your other posts, and I think your focus on if people are shy or not will leave you disappointed.

When you say shy, what do you exactly want? People who don't talk to you? Or people who are socially 'awkward'? My thinking is that if I went to a place where "shy" people were, I'd basically expect to not hang out with anyone at all, unless I put on my extrovert mask and dragged them out to places. "Shy" people sound attractive to other introverts, but if an entire city is mostly shy introverts, the social scene would be pretty terrible. I'm definitely a heavy introvert who can flip to extrovert, but I think in recent years introverts have been getting way too much praise while extroverts are being left out in the cold.

Gah, sorry for the rant.
To answer your question:
Shy or outoing? Northern Northern New England is mostly rural, with Aroostook county, Maine, being uninhabited in many places. I've lived in a rural place for a short while, and rural folk (from my experience) can be very bubbly and talkative. I usually find them very pleasant people to be around.

Forests? Yeah

Weather? Similar, but maybe a tad less brutal (at least comparing them right now). Still has heavy snowfall. When you see New Englanders post about moving out on these forums, they invariably say "I've experienced X number of New England winters, and I'm getting tired of them"
+1. What are you looking for OP?

Old 01-31-2019, 11:53 AM

12,860 posts, read 22,021,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylanperr View Post
Are the people more shy or outgoing?
Does it have a lot of forests?
How does the weather compare to the upper Midwest?
I'm not sure about the point of this thread, but I'll bite.

Northern Maine, NH, and VT are heavily forested. Northern Maine, around the Allagash Wilderness is about as remote as you'll find in the Eastern U.S. Dense forest, no real roads for a large distance, no people, no nothing. Northern NH and VT are very forested and sparsely populated as well.

"Shy" is not how I'd describe people living in those places. Obviously these are sweeping generalizations and don't apply to everyone, but I found most people in those areas to be extremely friendly and personable. I had a guy in Jackman Maine just pull his chair over to my table (I was with my girlfriend too) last month and start chatting with me. Completely unprompted. I've found people in these areas to be more likely to chat you up at a gas station, in the grocery store, or just walking by on the street. That's a stark contrast to the cities in New England where people mostly won't do any of that. All that being said, I would say that the people in these areas are wary of people from outside of the area. Particularly from more urbanized parts of the region. Without getting into it, a lot of that attitude has to do with locals wanting to keep things as they are, and transplants who have sort of idealized the area wanting to make big changes once they realize their expectations aren't reality. You can see this play out regularly in the Maine, NH, and VT forums.

Weather? Similar. Slightly more snow, slightly less cold in Northern New England. But very similar.

Old 01-31-2019, 12:37 PM

1,642 posts, read 1,399,746 times
Northern Vermont has the hipster paradise of Burlington, so it has a sizeable town. Then the other northern Vermont and NH towns are mostly gentrified ski towns. Maine has ski towns too but a lot of Northern Maine seem like Millinockett where they used to be a logging town but the paper mill closed.

Old 01-31-2019, 02:58 PM

12,860 posts, read 22,021,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_General View Post
Northern Vermont has the hipster paradise of Burlington, so it has a sizeable town. Then the other northern Vermont and NH towns are mostly gentrified ski towns. Maine has ski towns too but a lot of Northern Maine seem like Millinockett where they used to be a logging town but the paper mill closed.
While not entirely wrong, I think this misrepresents each area. Burlington is in Northern Vermont, but it's different from the Northeast Kingdom (basically the Northeastern 2/3 of the state) which is what Vermonters would refer to as "Northern Vermont." It's neither gentrified (Stowe, Waterbury and the Mad River Valley are "gentrified ski towns" and they're not in what is considered Northern Vermont). The Northeast Kingdom is rural, not very wealthy, and decidedly not gentrified.

Northern New Hampshire is much the same. Once you get North of the White Mountain National Forest, it's not gentrified at all and it's sparsely populated. That's Northern NH.

There are 2, maybe 3 (if you include Bridgeton) "ski towns" in Maine. None of them in the North. Most of Northern Maine is nothing like Millinockett - mill towns are sporadic across the region, but not even close to being a defining characteristic. Most of Northern Maine is either agricultural or completely forested. Chunks of it are completely unincorporated. I'd divide Northern Maine into the wilderness of the Northwestern part of the state which is wild and forested, and the eastern part (much of The County) which is a mix between agricultural and forested land with a few towns in between.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.