Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2019, 09:16 AM

7,741 posts, read 6,487,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
None have 4 seasons. LA is definitely expensive. Austin is so hot. I mean really hot.

Atlanta definitely has four seasons. The first time I ever saw fall foliage was in Atlanta in November. It also snows there in winter, though not too often. Just because it's not Milwaukee doesn't mean there's no four seasons.

Austin has more like 3 in reality. Their winters are more like a late autumn in the mid-Atlantic or upper south. Atlanta's winters are like a late autumn in New England. Those are two different types of "late autumns" and likewise, two different kinds of winters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2019, 09:21 AM

7,741 posts, read 6,487,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
The average high in Atlanta in January is in the 50s and the city averages about 3" of snow per year. That's not my idea of 4 seasons.

Well your idea of seasons isn't the universal standard. 3 inches of snow? That's 3 inches more than LA, Phoenix or Miami. Some people might try to argue that your location doesn't "have a spring" because it can snow on May semi-frequently. To me, that's asinine. If you can tell the difference pretty well between the seasons, then it has 4 seasons. If it's like Miami where the grass is always green and the leaves never fall off the trees (unless it's dead) then you don't have 4 seasons. That's not the case for Atlanta, and even Austin has bare trees in winter, giving it some seasonality, but less than Atlanta.

Old 08-12-2019, 09:41 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,405,983 times
I think NYC is the obvious choice but it's not cheap. You will probably live paycheck to paycheck for a bit there but NYC has a TON of jobs and I think with hard work, you would have a lot of opportunities to get better work.

Living in the outer boros is a good bet rather than living in NYC itself. Brooklyn for example is a place people are going and if your SO goes with you, it is doable on 2 incomes.

I don't particularly care for LA but a lot of people seem to love it. If you are looking to work @ an ad agency or something, I think NYC is the place. If you're looking to do more acting/film-making, then perhaps LA.

I would rule out Atlanta and Austin for that sort of thing. They may have opportunities here & there but NYC is like saturated with media jobs.

Old 12-29-2019, 01:37 PM

2,666 posts, read 7,343,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
The average high in Atlanta in January is in the 50s and the city averages about 3" of snow per year. That's not my idea of 4 seasons.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
+1 Atlanta is a bit cooler than Dallas, which I don't consider to have 4 seasons.
Atlanta does have 4 seasons, but I can see how people can jump into conclusions if they have lived here for just one year or just visited in a particular season.

There are 2 extremely hot months in the year and the rest of the year is really nice. You need jackets in winters - and not having to clean snow is a plus. Nice foliage all around the greenest city in the southeast. So unless we count shoveling as a season, it does have all 4. I'll actually go one step further and say that its much better than up in the North.

For the OP....
As far as your career and jobs in the film/entertainment industry etc.... do not get fooled by NYC's glam and glitter. I would say it had its heyday, and the industry is diversifying into other cities. Atlanta has some good traction but I will ask you to also look at other places and see where are you able to get a good job.

Atlanta, Chicago, Vancouver etc are all excellent places to start besides also looking into NYC and LA.
Do not discount your "home field" - it constantly comes up as city with most film industry jobs.

Old 12-29-2019, 07:25 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,544,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Atlanta definitely has four seasons. The first time I ever saw fall foliage was in Atlanta in November. It also snows there in winter, though not too often. Just because it's not Milwaukee doesn't mean there's no four seasons.

Austin has more like 3 in reality. Their winters are more like a late autumn in the mid-Atlantic or upper south. Atlanta's winters are like a late autumn in New England. Those are two different types of "late autumns" and likewise, two different kinds of winters.
I agree. There are variations within nearly all seasons from region to region. Atlanta has enough variation between the 4 than I consider it a 4-season climate.

Old 12-30-2019, 12:25 AM

4,394 posts, read 4,640,923 times
Don’t know if OP still roams the site but I’m pursuing a career in the film industry and I live here in Houston. Out of those 3 I suggest Atlanta.

1. Atlanta- lots of filming in the city and the industry continues to grow. You said your pursuing production, there’s no shortage of production in Atlanta. Plus col compared to the other 2 is less expensive. The film community is also much more sociable and laid back there.

2. Los Angeles- probably better for screenwriters and tv and film production. Much more networking with executives, people within the major studios and networks. Much much more competitive than Atlanta. Also more expensive! Always networking events but the film community out there’s seem more disingenuous with their interactions in comparison to the other 2.

3. Austin-pretty supporting film community out there. Best city for filmmakers to live in TEXAS. Texas though has cut incentives for the film industry in Texas. So it’s a smaller film industry in comparison to the other 2. Meaning less work for film and tv.

Old 12-31-2019, 12:39 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,468,779 times
Just bite the bullet and live in L.A.! You'll definitely will start a family, raise children and spend the rest of your life there. Better to end up in L.A. sooner than later instead of moving around and eventually end up in L.A.

It's not easy to live there but the amenities are a reward for that hard work. Much better restaurants than Denver, good choice for outdoor recreation with the mountains and the beach nearby. LAX and the area airports together offer flights within the West and the rest of the world. Etc.

Good luck making contacts and breaking through to start your career!

Old 04-19-2021, 01:02 PM

12,882 posts, read 9,623,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu400 View Post
Atlanta does have 4 seasons, but I can see how people can jump into conclusions if they have lived here for just one year or just visited in a particular season.

There are 2 extremely hot months in the year and the rest of the year is really nice. You need jackets in winters - and not having to clean snow is a plus. Nice foliage all around the greenest city in the southeast. So unless we count shoveling as a season, it does have all 4. I'll actually go one step further and say that its much better than up in the North.

For the OP....
As far as your career and jobs in the film/entertainment industry etc.... do not get fooled by NYC's glam and glitter. I would say it had its heyday, and the industry is diversifying into other cities. Atlanta has some good traction but I will ask you to also look at other places and see where are you able to get a good job.

Atlanta, Chicago, Vancouver etc are all excellent places to start besides also looking into NYC and LA.
Do not discount your "home field" - it constantly comes up as city with most film industry jobs.
I said I don’t consider Dallas to have true four seasons.

Old 04-19-2021, 01:16 PM

12,194 posts, read 8,080,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I think NYC is the obvious choice but it's not cheap. You will probably live paycheck to paycheck for a bit there but NYC has a TON of jobs and I think with hard work, you would have a lot of opportunities to get better work.

Living in the outer boros is a good bet rather than living in NYC itself. Brooklyn for example is a place people are going and if your SO goes with you, it is doable on 2 incomes.

I don't particularly care for LA but a lot of people seem to love it. If you are looking to work @ an ad agency or something, I think NYC is the place. If you're looking to do more acting/film-making, then perhaps LA.

I would rule out Atlanta and Austin for that sort of thing. They may have opportunities here & there but NYC is like saturated with media jobs.
Nyc requires a bit of experience.

Old 04-20-2021, 01:58 AM

1,081 posts, read 1,816,490 times
I say move to Atlanta. The film industry is booming here and the cost of living isn’t as high as LA . Atlanta is the Hollywood of the South for a reason
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.