Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2017, 11:40 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,462,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdwell View Post
Southern cities like Shreveport can't handle any snow or especially ice. There are sand trucks and salt trucks, but people make the mistake of trying to drive in this town like it is normal dry pavement when these storms happen. Wrecks galore, some critical injuries and deaths. This is why everything must shut down. To keep the drivers off the **** road around here.
Lol Louisianans in general can't drive. I would be terrified to drive there in the snow!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2017, 01:45 AM

9,398 posts, read 8,880,044 times
Seattle is extremely funny when it comes to snow. They go out of their way to warn, but then they hide behind their total lack of preparation. When it comes only once in 10 years the city tends to lack any plan. But when it happens, all hell breaks loose, and it becomes a major event. Cities like Seattle are not generally prepared. Atlanta, Charlotte, and even Oklahoma City are in the same boat.

Old 12-20-2017, 05:19 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,919,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VulcanRabbi View Post
In your experiences what are cities that can't handle much if any snow like Seattle WA Or Portland Oregon? Are places like Yakima WA just as bad off over the *other side of the mountain?* or are they a lot more prepared?

How bad is Pittsburgh at snow? It has hills like Seattle does and I wonder if they have the crash-a-thon event when it happens over 2-3 inches of the white crap?

I imagine places from Philadelphia PA and on south are whimps and funny things happen when it snows based on comments from the How Many Inches Does It Take To Close School threads and Reddit map (revised edition).
It's snows often in the winter in Pittsburgh, and therefore most know how to deal with it well. The majority of our snows arent major like 10"+ either, so it's better than most cities I believe. The hills make it difficult, but most people here have snow tires and just take it slow to deal with that.

My in laws are from Philadelphia, and yeah they kind of lose their mind when it snows. I always hear accidents are caused by a coating of snow lol.

Last edited by speagles84; 12-20-2017 at 06:04 AM..

Old 12-20-2017, 05:47 AM

811 posts, read 889,202 times
Charlotte, Nashville, Louisville, Atlanta are cities I am familiar with that don't deal with snow removal/preparation well.

Old 12-20-2017, 05:55 AM

375 posts, read 332,322 times
Well obviously cities that don't get snow are not prepared for it. I see a lot of people naming places like Atlanta or Seattle - all of which get snow but are not used to it and thus have widely publicized "snowmageddons". But just imagine if that same snow fell in places like Honolulu, Los Angeles, or Miami. It would paralyze the metropolitan area. So those cities are the correct answer but rather uninteresting since it's well obvious and we have no cool youtube videos to share of cars bumping into each other.

Old 12-20-2017, 11:24 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringSnow View Post
Well obviously cities that don't get snow are not prepared for it. I see a lot of people naming places like Atlanta or Seattle - all of which get snow but are not used to it and thus have widely publicized "snowmageddons". But just imagine if that same snow fell in places like Honolulu, Los Angeles, or Miami. It would paralyze the metropolitan area. So those cities are the correct answer but rather uninteresting since it's well obvious and we have no cool youtube videos to share of cars bumping into each other.
Yeah, in Los Angeles it would be actual Armageddon. I would expect hundreds, if not thousands of deaths.

There are some videos of Las Vegas in the snow, they had a pretty big storm in 2008 IIRC. Other places like the Antelope/Victor Valleys in CA (not far out of Los Angeles) get snow at times, and that can get interesting as well.

Old 12-20-2017, 11:45 AM

9,380 posts, read 9,338,690 times
I think once you get south of Pennsylvania on the East Coast people don't know what to do.

Old 12-20-2017, 12:02 PM

123 posts, read 144,350 times
People oftentimes say that drivers in the South (DC and South for this purpose) cannot drive in the snow, but I think this criticism is often unfair. The South is more likely to get freezing rain and ice. You could replace every driver in DC with flanneled Vermonters driving Subarus and the traffic would still be chaos with frozen roads.

Old 12-20-2017, 12:19 PM

9,380 posts, read 9,338,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheel_indc View Post
People oftentimes say that drivers in the South (DC and South for this purpose) cannot drive in the snow, but I think this criticism is often unfair. The South is more likely to get freezing rain and ice. You could replace every driver in DC with flanneled Vermonters driving Subarus and the traffic would still be chaos with frozen roads.
But DC and Southern areas do not have the road crews to keep up with snow and ice like up North. And it is true that drivers in the South can't drive in the snow. 2'' falls in Northern Virginia and the world end/ traffic backs up. 12'' falls in Burlington or Chicago and people keep going. Also many people in those climates have snow tires or chains for ice. No one in DC has that...

I am not being mean, its just true. I am from Philadelphia, and for ever how far North we are, we still cannot handle snow.

Old 12-20-2017, 01:47 PM

10,109 posts, read 9,971,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
DC and Baltimore both flip out if anything is falling from the sky...
We average noticeably more snow than they do. I can't speak for the DC area (I'm not from there), but Baltimore doesn't handle snow any differently than any other cities in this part of the country. Baltimore has gotten soft over the years with the snow however. Anything under a foot would, at most, be a 90 minute delay. It was rare for us to miss school because of a few inches of snow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.