Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Tennessee or North Carolina
Tennessee 13 39.39%
North Carolina 20 60.61%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2017, 07:29 PM

1 posts, read 9,938 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am a single Mom who is going to be re-locating my family next summer (2018). It will be myself, my daughter and my Mother. My Mom lived in Knoxville 35 years ago and hasn't been back since. I personally fell in love with the Nashville area a few years back. The same goes for the Charlotte area. We are planning a scouting trip beginning of 2018 but are doing some research in the meantime.

I understand that Tennessee has no state income tax and tends to have lower tax rates overall. However, I am noticing that the home prices seem to be much higher.

My stipulations are we will probably rent before buying to make sure we like the area. It needs to be in a good school district, a safe neighborhood that is family friendly, I am single and would like to change that....so an area that is at least near a dating scene, also near a good church (Christian or Non-Denomination)

I would ideally like to purchase a new home. I am drawn to homes with basements which seems to be more popular in NC than TN.

I am looking at Brentwood and Franklin in Tennessee.
I am looking at Weddington, Waxhaw and Ballantyne in North Carolina.

ok.......so GO! What are your recommendations between the two states and what areas or neighborhoods do you recommend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2017, 09:41 PM

2,099 posts, read 2,323,960 times
Brentwood & Franklin are about as safe & family friendly as they come! I lived in Frankin a few years ago, and it’s a great place to live. It’s definitely on the pricey side for the area, but it’s a more upscale area. Both Brentwood & Frankin have a good schools as well. You can’t go wrong with either place if that’s the sort of area you’re looking for

Old 11-11-2017, 09:44 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,617,651 times
North Carolina has better weather because the mountains cause most of the snow to be dumped before it comes into North Carolina. Sometimes there are taxes hidden in making purchases. I noticed it this week when we were eating at the KFC in North Myrtle Beach. When we get the $5 meals in Union County, N. C. the total bill comes to $10.68. In North Myrtle Beach it was $10.95 for the two of us. That's 27 cents more on a $10 purchase. I am not sure I trust those tax comparison charts. Taxes come in many forms.

Waxhaw has a good Christian base. JAARS is the technical division of the Wycliffe Bible Translators and I feel they greatly influence our area. I wish you well in your search. I prayed God would help us find a good home and we have been here more than 40 years now. We live in the family friendly town of Mineral Springs, N. C. We moved here with the idea we would live here until we retired. We no longer have any intention of moving. This is home.

Last edited by NCN; 11-11-2017 at 10:09 PM..

Old 11-12-2017, 06:49 AM

27,169 posts, read 43,857,618 times
I would suggest NC as it does have better weather as already pointed out plus does not have the rapidly escalating costs in/around Charlotte versus what is being seen in Nashville. I would also expand your Charlotte viewpoint to include Fort Mill across the state line in SC which is considered the top school district in the Charlotte metro area, and #1 in the state of SC.

Old 11-13-2017, 04:46 AM

9,468 posts, read 10,794,806 times
I live in East Tennessee. The reason you think Tennessee is more expensive is because of where you are looking. Nashville in general is known for being expensive, very rapid growth out there. You are pricing Brentwood and Franklin.....yikes, I can hardly afford to type the names of those towns. Very expensive and exclusive there. If that is the lifestyle your accustomed to then you know what your paying for, but just wanted to make sure your comparing apples to apples and oranges to oranges. I’m sure Charlotte NC has exclusive suburbs, you need to compare to those towns if your looking at Franklin and Brentwood.

East Tennessee is WAY cheaper by the way, knoxvillle, Chattanooga and the Tri Cities would be a bargain compared to Brentwood and Franklin. That being said Franklin TN is a really nice town, nice downtown and lots of history. It’s price just makes it another world to me.

Old 11-13-2017, 08:07 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
What is your budget? Ballantyne is probably going to be cheaper than Brentwood and Franklin, but all are very exclusive areas and among the wealthiest in their states.

TN is going to have lower taxes, other than sales taxes, virtually across the board. Taxes between the Williamson County suburbs and Charlotte suburbs (Ballantyne is a neighborhood within Charlotte) are probably going to be a coin flip. Lower taxes doesn't necessarily mean a lower total cost of living.

Take this house in Charlotte. It's going for $135,000. It would probably be a $250,000 home anywhere in metro Nashville.

https://www.trulia.com/property/3075...lotte-NC-28269

I've never understood the Nashville hype. I've been several times over the last year since I moved back to Tennessee, and I don't get what people are flocking there for.

I'd much rather live in Charlotte and have easier access to the mountains, beach, and other cities. Nashville is comparatively isolated.

Old 11-16-2017, 09:40 PM

1,726 posts, read 1,719,139 times
Here's my long-held prediction on migration trends:

FL --> NC --> TN --> KY

Personally, I think that TN is a better option than NC because:

A) It is more homegrown and racially / ethnically homogeneous.
B) It attracts fewer transplants from NY / NJ / CT (not the kinda folks you want as next-door neighbors).
C) TN has a lower overall tax burden.
D) To my understanding, higher education is much more affordable and accessible in TN (important factor if you've got kiddos).

Old 11-17-2017, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
Here's my long-held prediction on migration trends:

FL --> NC --> TN --> KY

Personally, I think that TN is a better option than NC because:

A) It is more homegrown and racially / ethnically homogeneous.
B) It attracts fewer transplants from NY / NJ / CT (not the kinda folks you want as next-door neighbors).
C) TN has a lower overall tax burden.
D) To my understanding, higher education is much more affordable and accessible in TN (important factor if you've got kiddos).
Tennessee also has only one economic center in Nashville, and Nashville's COL is quickly rising above and beyond the major NC metros.

From my experience, pay in TN is generally worse.

Nashville has become discovered and the last few times I've been there it seems to be nothing but Chicago/NY/NJ transplants. I didn't see any Southern charm there.

Old 11-17-2017, 06:49 AM

34,229 posts, read 18,561,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Tennessee also has only one economic center in Nashville, and Nashville's COL is quickly rising above and beyond the major NC metros.

From my experience, pay in TN is generally worse.

Nashville has become discovered and the last few times I've been there it seems to be nothing but Chicago/NY/NJ transplants. I didn't see any Southern charm there.

What about Memphis? There are others like Knoxville, and Tri-Cities.

Old 11-17-2017, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
What about Memphis? There are others like Knoxville, and Tri-Cities.
Memphis has been declining to stagnant for years. I live in the Tri-Cities, and it is in worse shape than Memphis. Knoxville is doing OK, but it's still small.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.