Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2017, 06:14 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,369,016 times

Advertisements

Hello everybody, I am thinking of buying beach property on the Texas coast around Corpus.I am also considering Florida.I do not know where in Florida yet lol.I was just in the Corpus area and the heat index was forecast to be as high as 115.Does Florida get that hot in the summer time compared to the Texas coast or is it about the same?I know Florida would get more rain and be more at risk for tropical systems than Corpus.I know i can look up stats online but I would like to hear from people with personal experience.The heat does not really bother me that much but it could be an issue for friends and family that would want to go.Please forgive me if this topic has been hashed out before.Thanks everybody.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2017, 06:28 PM

1,990 posts, read 2,359,435 times
Texas, yet Florida is probably more humid. That said, Houston is humid a'la New Orleans from my experiences, so perhaps they really run neck and neck. As a state over all, however, Texas would always post higher temperatures the further west you go, but with less humidity. Still, getting into the 100's for several days each summer would feel awful, I don't care HOW dry it is. Florida rarely, if ever reaches the century mark, especially along the coasts, and there is usually a "sea breeze". Perhaps on the Texas Gulf Coast, as well.

Old 08-21-2017, 07:28 PM

5,645 posts, read 6,206,522 times
I lived in Houston for a year and currently live in Tampa. Unfortunately the experiences were separated by 7 years in Boston so it's a little hard to compare but I remeber Houston feeling more stifling witht he humidity, largely because it is farhter inland. Having said that, I think it is over generalizing to comapre the two. If you are literally on the coast in either case it will feel much less humid than farther inland. For example, on a hot and humid day it is liely Galvesgton will geel nicer than Lakeland. I thinkjg it gets hotter faster as you go inland in Texas but again that is based on experience that is separateed by more than a few years in New England. At the end of the day, the temperatures are similar enough out of the two that you should base your decisions on something else (friends, cultural comfort, etc.)

Old 08-22-2017, 06:51 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,179,338 times
I've lived in both, currently in Texas on the coast near Galveston and previously in Jacksonville (though that was 10 years ago).

Base your decision on other factors. Any differences in temp and humidity are negligible. It's hot and humid in both.

Old 08-22-2017, 07:49 AM

448 posts, read 591,443 times
I was on the Texas coast last week, the temp was 93 with high humidity and a 103 heat index, but it didnt feel as hot as San Antonio which was 100 with head index of 110.

Old 08-22-2017, 08:43 AM

2,452 posts, read 2,300,050 times
The immediate coastal areas of Texas have minimal difference from Florida regarding temperatures/humidity levels. Florida has higher/more frequent summer rainfall than Texas on average, but wind-speeds are actually higher on the Texas coast; in fact, Corpus is one of the windiest cities in the US, along with Galveston:
30 windiest cities in the US | WTOP

Old 08-22-2017, 09:37 AM

11,061 posts, read 7,135,481 times
Texas in general has hotter summers, because part of the state is relative dry, and lower humidity allows temperatures to soar.

Florida in general has higher humidity, because it is surrounded by water. Higher humidity raises the heat index, and can make one feel more uncomfortable.

So, it is personal and subjective how one will feel in either state. None of us here can say whether a specific person will be more comfortable in FL or TX. Chances are, both states may be equally uncomfortable.

Old 08-22-2017, 09:49 AM

12,805 posts, read 9,532,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
Hello everybody, I am thinking of buying beach property on the Texas coast around Corpus.I am also considering Florida.I do not know where in Florida yet lol.I was just in the Corpus area and the heat index was forecast to be as high as 115.Does Florida get that hot in the summer time compared to the Texas coast or is it about the same?I know Florida would get more rain and be more at risk for tropical systems than Corpus.I know i can look up stats online but I would like to hear from people with personal experience.The heat does not really bother me that much but it could be an issue for friends and family that would want to go.Please forgive me if this topic has been hashed out before.Thanks everybody.
I was in CC last month. I went for a run, it was unbearable. Like running into a blow dryer.

Old 08-22-2017, 11:00 AM

20,513 posts, read 33,513,431 times
The differences between Galveston/Texas City and Houston amazes me (but shouldn't). While Houston can get up to 95-100 degree days, Galveston struggles to get above 90 and will rarely touch 95. In fact, on weather.com, Galveston won't even reach the 90s. But they do experience lows that won't get to the 70s too so it's basically a high of 88 and a low of 81. 45 miles up the road is quite different.

Old 08-22-2017, 11:54 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,179,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
The differences between Galveston/Texas City and Houston amazes me (but shouldn't). While Houston can get up to 95-100 degree days, Galveston struggles to get above 90 and will rarely touch 95. In fact, on weather.com, Galveston won't even reach the 90s. But they do experience lows that won't get to the 70s too so it's basically a high of 88 and a low of 81. 45 miles up the road is quite different.
This is something that is absolutely true, and I had no appreciation for it until we moved back here after 15 years away from the Houston area. We live in Galveston County on the water, and is is noticeably more pleasant on the water than in the city of Houston, even in the summer. All that concrete really makes you feel like you're broiling.

For that matter, however, even Houston Summers are a cake walk compared to the 5 years we spent in North Texas. It was brutal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.