Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 01:59 PM

148 posts, read 238,953 times

Advertisements

Also can't be desert and would prefer being within a couple hours of the coast. Already have that here in Portland, Oregon, but seeing if there is any other place that offers this with cheaper housing and more sun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2006, 04:00 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,091,725 times
North Carolina perhaps?

Old 12-05-2006, 04:03 PM

North Carolina is on the list, but it is a distance between the coast and skiing. Just seeing if there is any other place that also has these things. Looking into New England also, but the cold sounds extreme up there.

Old 12-05-2006, 11:30 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,393,679 times
It sounds to me like the Pacific Northwest is really the only region that fits the bill, from San Francisco north through Seattle. If you're looking for a major city, Portland is definitely the best fit.

Old 12-06-2006, 04:38 AM

30,353 posts, read 51,937,226 times
I immediately thought "Portland", and then noticed your name - PDX... I agree with the above, that the Pacific Northwest is still your best bet. Have you looked into Santa Cruz, or maybe San Luis Obispo? They both have what you want, though housing costs in Santa Cruz will be higher than in Portland... SLO will also be more expensive, just not by quite as much - however, it is kinda far from skiing. But if you want sunshine, you'll have to head this far south! You might also consider the Sacramento and Redding/Red Bluff areas... they will be cheaper than the above, and there's plenty of sailing at the nearby rivers & lakes. Plus it's a fairly short drive to both the ocean & Lake Tahoe ski resorts. I'm sure there are also possibilities in Southern California, but I don't know enough to suggest anything specific.

P.S. If you hadn't thrown in the mild weather part, I'd suggest Lake Tahoe as well... I lived in South L.T. for a few years, and really loved it there. The people are friendly, housing costs are relatively low, and they have all the boating & skiing you could dream of. You'd also see more sunshine than in Portland, but the winters are COLD and snowy!

Old 12-06-2006, 08:26 AM

I have also been considering New England, such as Maine. Beautiful areas, great sailing, skiing, history, but BRUTAL winters!!!! Of course, they get more sunshine than we do here in Portland, but -26 in winter (record low) has got to be tough and not sure if we could handle that.

Old 12-06-2006, 09:25 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,159,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXsailor View Post
Also can't be desert and would prefer being within a couple hours of the coast. Already have that here in Portland, Oregon, but seeing if there is any other place that offers this with cheaper housing and more sun.

Did you want to find that in this country?
Some south american (Chile?) have a combination of all that a stones throw away.

Old 12-06-2006, 10:04 AM

262 posts, read 2,022,159 times
Western Maryland, if you don't mind driving a bit to get to Annapolis (the sailing capital of the USA!!!)

You can get a nice house for under $200k, there's plenty of skiing between MD/WV/PA, the winters aren't as bad as New England, and you're about 2 1/2 hours from the Chesapeake Bay and 4 hours from the Atlantic Ocean beaches.

You can do a little boating on Deep Creek Lake and drive to Annapolis for challenging sails.

I highly recommend it if you don't mind being in a small town, as opposed to a big city like Portland. You'll be about 1 1/2 hours from Pittsburgh and 2 1/2 hours from DC.

Old 12-06-2006, 09:51 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,393,679 times
I somehow missed the fact that you're apparently already IN Portland so I guess you're looking to get away. I do think that Oregon and Northern California offer the most in terms of geographic/topographic diversity in such a confined space, but you may also want to check out Reno and Boise, both obviously far from the coast, but both are cheap, have access to sailing, nearby skiing. I'm not sure if they qualify as moderate climate however. Their climates are more four-season with cold winters with a decent amount of snow (though not THAT much by my definition but by Portland standards, it may be), with much more sun and less rain than you get in Portland.

Old 12-07-2006, 07:26 AM

321 posts, read 1,556,820 times
Depends on how good of a skier you are (or want to be). You can find skiing in the mid-Atlantic states, from PA to NC, but they're tiny hills with huge crowds. Maryland is good for sailing. What you're looking for sounds like paradise, let me know if you find it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.