Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 04:02 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,603,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The A-Team View Post
Yes he seems like a great man. As said by Stl earlier the flag is flown now as a symbol of southern life, and honoring those of our ancestors that died. Like i said not saying i agree with everything the confederate army fought for, but some of them were our family. You cant just say, i spit on your grave ancestors! Look at the many cultures of the world, honoring their ancestors no matter what the past held. In a mature, forward moving world time does not stand still because some people in the south fly the confederate flag to honor southern living and those who have passed.
Well said, A. Honoring and revering our history and heritage is not the same as living in the past.

When General Lee surrendered, he told his men, in effect "We have fought the good fight but the odds against us were too great. The issue is settled. We lost. Now, go home and become as good a citizens of a reunited country as you have been good soldiers."

And that is exactly what they did. By way of one example, is that Southern men and women have always been disproportionately represented in our nations armed forces.

Anyway, I know this has all strayed off topic, so I just want to say that I am damn proud of being Southern...and proud of her history, heritage, symbols, and way of life. And apologize to no one for the said honor!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2008, 04:12 PM

Location: Originally Fayetteville, Arkansas/ now Seattle, Washington!
1,047 posts, read 3,946,863 times
Well said Tex, I am proud to be from Arkansas and even when people poke fun at me when i say that is where I am from, it doesn't bother me at all! I will always be a southern boy at heart, and i'm proud of it!!

Old 03-09-2008, 04:40 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,603,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The A-Team View Post
Well said Tex, I am proud to be from Arkansas and even when people poke fun at me when i say that is where I am from, it doesn't bother me at all! I will always be a southern boy at heart, and i'm proud of it!!
Kinda like, as the old song goes..."I'll speak my Southern English jess a natural as I please"

This is a good note as any upon which to say goodnight and get to bed cos I gotta get up and go to work in the morning!

Take care, A-Team. And everyone else as well!

Old 03-09-2008, 10:48 PM

Location: Originally Fayetteville, Arkansas/ now Seattle, Washington!
1,047 posts, read 3,946,863 times
Goodnight to you too!

Old 03-10-2008, 01:31 AM

5,812 posts, read 18,827,879 times
I just don't think that the Confederate flag or southerners in general should be demonized for the war. Slavery was a travesty, but there were slaves in the north as well. The south was not the only area with slaves.

Old 03-10-2008, 07:59 AM

208 posts, read 605,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
Realizing that there are many and culturally different areas of the midwest and south, I'd have to say that what you have experienced is exactly the opposite of what I've seen.
In the south, it was always nice to have my food practically thrown at me with a frown, while at a drive-through window... more often than not. It was nice when the person behind the counter gave you the "I'm annoyed at the world, 'MMMhhmmm'". They often will not talk to you unless you're "one of them", meaning if you don't wear a rebel flag somewhere on your person, or a t-shirt from some country music concert, or drive the biggest, tallest, most redneck pickup truck you can find... if you give off the slightest hint of being a yankee, or even just city-fied...
There are many parts of the south, I know, but this is what I encountered way too much growing up there.
The midwest has it's fair share of people like that, but not as much, it seems. If they aren't openly friendly (which often they are), they are at least pleasant, and don't care so much about how you dress, and what you drive.
Customer service depends largely on how management treats employees, not on region of the country. Customer service can vary widely even in the same town. BUT, I may be a little biased towards southwestern Virginia and NE Tennessee, but if you are ever waiting in any kind of line, someone will strick up a conversation with you. I noticed that more in Appalachia than in other parts of the country.

Your last lines are very interesting. Atleast where I grew up in the south, you are judged more on how you act, not on what you wear or drive or where you are from. But you are right...there are cliques down here. That can apply to anyplace though.

Old 03-10-2008, 09:53 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
Ok so the flag was not flown over Armies of the Confederacy? It was not used as a symbol for them at all? I was mistaken, I did not know it was about country life, about working hard.. ( I thought you all had slaves to do that ), about country music, ( are we talking Squeal like a pig country music ), good friends, family and all that.

So again why do all these hate groups gravitate to it so readily? I mean its a wholesome symbol, its about family hard work and all that right.. why do they use it? You would think they could find a better flag than that?

What Heritage are we honoring?
[Mod Cut] you sure are on the money when it comes to the Confederate flag. I agree with you on this issue. While some see the flag as heritage, others (myself included) see it as hate. They can drive around with those "heritage, not hate" bumper stickers all they want, but we all know what the old South stood for.

Last edited by ontheroad; 03-10-2008 at 04:46 PM.. Reason: unnecessary to discussion

Old 03-10-2008, 09:59 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
[Mod Cut] you sure are on the money when it comes to the Confederate flag. I agree with you on this issue. While some see the flag as heritage, others (myself included) see it as hate. They can drive around with those "heritage, not hate" bumper stickers all they want, but we all know what the old South stood for.
Thanks, Steve-o. That is what I meant when I started this firestorm by innocently (so I thought) saying my kids were appalled at the Confederate flags they saw in NC, this past summer. BTW, my kids are 20 and 23, not little innocents. They grew up in Colorado and went to college in Indiana and Minnesota respectively, where apparently they never saw a Confederate flag.

Last edited by ontheroad; 03-10-2008 at 04:47 PM..

Old 03-10-2008, 11:37 AM

5,080 posts, read 9,952,340 times
Quote:
Not trying to start anything.. I want to understand.. because I am one of those you describe.

You say it is flown to pay honor to ancestors, ancestors that believed that it was ok to own another person, and even fought a war over it? What does the flag represent? I see it as a symbol of hate. I think anyone who would want to be know as a rebel is a person who must have feelings or sentiment of those people who would dare fly that flag with pride.

Why do Hate groups like Neo-Nazi's grab that flag so readily if it is not a long symbol of hate?

So I want to understand.. explain it to me..
I am still waiting for some one to answer this question. No one has cleared this up, instead I get cop outs.. come on I know some of you Great Southern Rebels have to have a script or something that answers this question.

Old 03-10-2008, 11:41 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
Quote:
But this is not about that, it's about something else.. so please stay on topic.
Uhhhhh, ok. I guess you didnt read my post carefully?

And BTW, TexasReb should be around soon to argue with you. Hang tight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.