Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2016, 03:10 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSci View Post
I would think that while the cost of living a Wyoming lifestyle in California may be greater, there is no price whereby living a California lifestyle in Wyoming would even be possible.
That's kind of pointless, because the way of life in any given state isn't comparable to anywhere else. I mean, there are plenty of cities in California that aren't on a beach, yet their residences still face a much higher cost of living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2016, 11:19 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,924,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSci View Post
I would think that while the cost of living a Wyoming lifestyle in California may be greater, there is no price whereby living a California lifestyle in Wyoming would even be possible.
HUH?!

The point was comparing the EXACT SAME EXPERIENCE (cost of living) in both states, i.e. the same HOUSE, CARS, FOOD, GAS etc.

At any rate, if you took the most expensive house in all of California and moved it to Wyoming, its value would be far less -- not because it's in Wyoming, but because it's NOT in California.

Old 12-28-2016, 11:34 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,583,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
I just looked it up and have been to both and find both states interesting in their own way.

It is very interesting though, how Wyoming which has basically had a massive energy collapse in natural gas, coal and oil not to mention commodities still have the same per-capita personal income as California which has pretty gone through once in a century tech-gold rush.

http://www.bea.gov/iTable/iTable.cfm...029=36&7090=70

Wyoming has basically lost 3 percent of it's jobs in just a year. It is just odd how a state in the middle-of flyover country that has gone through a once in a lifetime decline in natural gas, oil and coal prices still has the same per-capita personal income as a state that is a once-in-a lifetime economic bubble.

https://www.bls.gov/regions/west/california.htm#eag

California on the other hand has gained 2.5 million jobs since the recession going from 14.1 million jobs to 16.6 million jobs.

North Dakota has also had a massive energy collapse and has basically a 1,000 less per-capita income then California or just about 2 percent less.

Alaska also has the same per-capita income as California $55,000.

I just looked at what $600,000 buys in Gillette, Wyoming compared to Los Angeles, California

https://www.google.com/maps/place/10...817685!6m1!1e1

36 bedroom, 12 bathroom apartment complex in Wyoming

https://www.google.com/maps/place/95...l2AEgQxB0IHDAA

3 bedroom, 1 bathroom in Los Angeles
Just like yourself I have been to both States , California and Wyoming and the answer is rather easy , and obvious Wyoming only has 700,000 or 800,000 people.

And California has almost 40 million people , which means that California has to find a truckload of jobs to employ it's large population base with gainful jobs and or employment.

Old 12-29-2016, 06:50 AM

3,576 posts, read 3,078,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
HUH?!

The point was comparing the EXACT SAME EXPERIENCE (cost of living) in both states, i.e. the same HOUSE, CARS, FOOD, GAS etc.

At any rate, if you took the most expensive house in all of California and moved it to Wyoming, its value would be far less -- not because it's in Wyoming, but because it's NOT in California.
There is so much more to life than living in the same size box. I was responding to the statement comparing "lifestyle" between the two states.

Quote:
But on the whole, a comparable lifestyle in California is going to cost a heck of a lot more than Wyoming.

Old 12-30-2016, 07:51 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,136,869 times
People in Wyoming probably don't have a lot of kids either so per capita incomes are higher. Kids don't contribute to per capita incomes...in fact they reduce them. An easy way to understand this is say 2 couples in 2 different states both make 70k total household income. 1 Couple has 1 kid. The other couple has 3. The couple that has 1 kid has a per capita income of 23.3k of the 3 people. The couple with 3 kids has a per capita income of 14k of all 5 people. If a couple had no kids making 70k total income, they would have a per capita income of 35k. This is assuming all kids are below working age by the way.

I'd be interested in the numbers for people who all work full time jobs and their per capita income.

Old 12-30-2016, 07:56 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,090,753 times
Actually, Wyoming has a higher fertility rate and a greater portion of its population is composed of minors when compared to California. A larger portion of its population is also of retirement age than in California but I am unsure if that matters.

Old 12-30-2016, 07:58 PM

11,097 posts, read 7,159,415 times
Those two states are so vastly different that it's comparing apples to oranges. You can't isolate some facet and say the states are similar and still make sense on any overall level.

Regardless, CA has many features that WY will never have, including a coast, more humidity/moisture, a warmer and more useful climate, a diverse population and range of cultures, and an undeniable history of innovation and creativity. If these states were humans, WY would just be a child compared to the developed CA.

Just try to name someone or some innovation significant or memorable coming out of WY.

Old 12-30-2016, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
Actually, Wyoming has a higher fertility rate and a greater portion of its population is composed of minors when compared to California. A larger portion of its population is also of retirement age than in California but I am unsure if that matters.
California has a larger household size....hmm.

United States - Average household size, 2009-2013 by State

California is at 2.94. Wyoming is at 2.5 so Wyoming would be below US average of 2.63. This is data for 2013 by the way so not that old.

Old 12-30-2016, 09:10 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,090,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
California has a larger household size....hmm.

United States - Average household size, 2009-2013 by State

California is at 2.94. Wyoming is at 2.5 so Wyoming would be below US average of 2.63. This is data for 2013 by the way so not that old.
But average household size isn't a reflection of age distribution. That could be because of multiple generations living together. I know that is more common in many immigrant groups, which make up a larger portion of California's population than Wyoming's.

Population Distribution by Age | The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation
Wyoming QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau
California QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Looking at the data, this switch seems to be a recent development. Possibly the working age population leaving Wyoming between 2010-2015 as the percent of Wyoming's senior population has also increased.

Old 12-30-2016, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
But average household size isn't a reflection of age distribution. That could be because of multiple generations living together. I know that is more common in many immigrant groups, which make up a larger portion of California's population than Wyoming's.

Population Distribution by Age | The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation
Wyoming QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau
California QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Looking at the data, this switch seems to be a recent development. Possibly the working age population leaving Wyoming between 2010-2015 as the percent of Wyoming's senior population has also increased.
And large immigrant households are part of the reason why California's per capita income is dragged down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.