Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2017, 01:21 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,271,982 times

Advertisements

City limits are city limits. Some may be more cohesive than others or better relate a "common sense" understanding of what the city is. They're obviously important when discussing things like what services are offered at a particular address.

Practically, I don't consider city limits to be all that useful on a day to day basis. Indianapolis' city limits constitute all of Marion County, IN, except for separate, distinct municipalities within Marion County. However, a large portion of that area is suburban to even quasi-rural, and is not "urban" in any common sense definition of the term.

The flip side of that are cities with artificially small limits like Greenville, SC. The city population does not reflect at all the size of the metro area.

I find MSA population to be most accurate for judging things like amenities, job market size/depth, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2017, 02:21 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,894,388 times
As someone who grew up in NY state, I found it odd that people from NYC were only referring to Manhattan when they talked about "the city". In the area I grew up in, the entire NYC area is "the city".

Detroit is "the city" but is surrounded by Metro Detroit. People who live/work in this area make a distinction between the city and its 'burbs.

Memphis is a bit murkier; "the city" there kind of has more ambiguous borders depending on who you are talking with.

Syracuse is "the city". There is no 'metro' there but they also separate the city from the suburban areas.

Old 12-28-2017, 10:02 AM

2,653 posts, read 2,094,782 times
Generally speaking from all these comments it's the core urban area. Even here in Mississippi, people use "The City" to refer to the main urban area. I heard and use it plenty of times. This theme isn't unique to specific cities obviously.

Memphis the city is always the city proper ( limits) and doesn't include the surburbs.

Old 12-28-2017, 02:05 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Sf

Old 12-29-2017, 01:47 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,511,989 times
When I say "city", mean it literally; within the city limits of the central city of a metro area. I guess most of that comes from seeing many people interchange the words "metro" and "city" all of the time. But, I've heard it used both ways for years.

Old 12-29-2017, 02:43 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,218,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post
As someone who grew up in NY state, I found it odd that people from NYC were only referring to Manhattan when they talked about "the city". In the area I grew up in, the entire NYC area is "the city".
What’s worse is that some people don’t even use it to mean all of Manhattan, but only Manhattan South of 96th Street or so. For me, it depends on the context.
When I’m in NYC I mean it as a name for Manhattan only. But when I’m traveling and people ask where I’m from I always tell them “New York”. And then 99% of the time they follow up with “the city”? And I say yes, even if I’m living in Brooklyn or Queens or whatever.

Old 12-29-2017, 04:44 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,956,241 times
We say "the city" in the Baltimore area due to the same reasons that it is done in St. Louis. There is Baltimore City, which is a independent city, and we have Baltimore County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.