Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2016, 11:30 AM

1,687 posts, read 1,436,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCheetah View Post
Well that obvious. No cities in the south as urban as places like NYC, Chicago, Boston, Philly etc. but it's definitely a lot more urban than its peers like Houston, Atlanta, Dallas etc. I would lump Miami in the same category as LA. A blend of sunbelt sprawl but at the same time pretty urban and dense for a sunbelt city. Neighborhoods like Brickell, Midtown, Wynwood, Coconut Grove, etc, you don't find in other sunbelt cities except LA.
Miami isn't la. Most of it looks the most suburban parts of la. Even plces like little Havana.
I don't think people realize how large "old la" is. Its from city terrace (a couple miles east of downtown) all the way put to the Fairfax district. This whole area is full of old apt buildings, commercial buildings etc. Retail is everywhere.
It's about 10-11 miles east to west, and 6-8 north to south.
Probably home to 1.5 million..
Echo Park
Boyle hts
Downtown
Arts district
Little Tokyo
Chinatown
Silver Lake
Highland Park
Los Feliz
E Hollywood
Hollywood
Fairfax
Koreatown
Westlake
Pico union
Hancock Park
West Adams
City terrace
Mid city

Are large old neighborhoods compared to the sunbelt.

This doesn't even count the "newer " neighborhoods like west Hollywood, beverly hills. Brentwood, Westwood, Santa Monica , Venice Beach, Culver city etc ..

Last edited by Freddy K; 05-28-2016 at 11:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2016, 11:44 AM

2,249 posts, read 2,822,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy K View Post
Miami isn't la. Most of it looks the most suburban parts of la. Even plces like little Havana.
I don't think people realize how large "old la" is. Its from city terrace (a couple miles east of downtown) all the way put to the Fairfax district. This whole area is full of old apt buildings, commercial buildings etc. Retail is everywhere.
It's about 10-11 miles east to west, and 6-8 north to south.
Probably home to 1.5 million..
Echo Park
Boyle hts
Downtown
Arts district
Little Tokyo
Chinatown
Silver Lake
Highland Park
Los Feliz
E Hollywood
Hollywood
Fairfax
Koreatown
Westlake
Pico union
Hancock Park
West Adams
City terrace
Mid city

Are large old neighborhoods compared to the sunbelt.

This doesn't even count the "newer " neighborhoods like west Hollywood, beverly hills. Brentwood, Westwood, Santa Monica , Venice Beach, Culver city etc ..
Have you ever been to Miami and if so what neighborhoods did you visit?

Old 05-28-2016, 11:47 AM

1,687 posts, read 1,436,952 times
Nope. Just going off Google maps.
It's not the same at all.

One city is clearly older and more dense than the other.
Posters have done the population density of "
old la".

I want to say it's over 17000 per square mile for over a million people.

If LA had Miami or new Orleans Sq mileage, it would probably have 24,000 people per Sq miles.
Westlake and Koreatown alone are 6 Sq Miles together and have 45,000 per Sq mile.
These are two of the most active areas for new housing in la.
They'll hit 50,000 psm in the next 10-15 years.

Last edited by Freddy K; 05-28-2016 at 12:39 PM..

Old 05-28-2016, 11:54 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,786,156 times
Now Birmingham is more urban than Dallas and Houston. I do believe I've heard it all.

Old 05-28-2016, 12:44 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
I mean, I can see how you could have come up with that assumption; but it also depends on what is our definition of a "core." I'll give you Atlanta, on a fair day, but I honestly think Birmingham is more Urban, and Densely compact than Houston, Dallas, and Charlotte. Not comparing it to the level of cities within the Northeast, but compared to other Sunbelt cities, I'd put Birmingham along somewhere at the top. Like someone else mentioned, Birmingham is like a rust belt city, placed within the South.
But Birmingham's core is much smaller than Houston and Dallas. It's very hard to compare Birmingham to these two. Some small cities do compare to Houston and Dallas (such as New Orleans obviously). But I don't see how Birmingham is one of them.

Old 05-28-2016, 01:00 PM

62 posts, read 62,475 times
Dallas has a sizable urban core....Houston does not. There's almost no cohesive urban neighborhoods adjacent to Downtown....it's almost on an island. Midtown Houston is nowhere near as urban the Northwestern neighborhoods of the Dallas urban core(Uptown, West Village, Turtlecreek?) or Midtown Atlanta.

Old 05-28-2016, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perverse Instantiation View Post
Dallas has a sizable urban core....Houston does not. There's almost no cohesive urban neighborhoods adjacent to Downtown....it's almost on an island. Midtown Houston is nowhere near as urban the Northwestern neighborhoods of the Dallas urban core(Uptown, West Village, Turtlecreek?) or Midtown Atlanta.
You can thank zoning for this even though Houston has still managed to have a higher density in the first 100 sq miles than both Atlanta and Dallas. However, Uptown Dallas and Midtown Atlanta got a headstart on Midtown Houston. Midtown Houston is still in its infancy when it comes to development. What will help the DTH and MTH become more cohesive is if they either tear down the Pierce Elevated or make it into a park. Also, before the Klyde Warren Park bridged Uptown Dallas to Downtown Dallas, Downtown Dallas was pretty much an island as well.

Old 05-28-2016, 01:37 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,416,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
But Birmingham's core is much smaller than Houston and Dallas. It's very hard to compare Birmingham to these two. Some small cities do compare to Houston and Dallas (such as New Orleans obviously). But I don't see how Birmingham is one of them.
But that's the thing, I'm not comparing the sizes between the cities; I'm comparing the Urban environments themselves. What is your definition of a "core?" is Uptown included?

Old 05-28-2016, 01:41 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,786,156 times
Quote:
But that's the thing, I'm not comparing the sizes between the cities; I'm comparing the Urban environments themselves. What is your definition of a "core?" is Uptown included?
It sounds like you're only comparing downtowns. By no stretch of the imagination is the entire city of Birmingham more urban than Dallas or Houston.

Old 05-28-2016, 01:57 PM

Quote:
No I don't include Uptown with the core. I only include Downtown, East Downtown, parts of the neighborhoods west of downtown. This area structurely and by population is increasing in density. In fact, I don't think Birmingham matches the growth in intensity and rapidity that is going on inside Houston core.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.