Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2016, 02:33 PM

1,150 posts, read 1,111,374 times

Advertisements

There seems to be a growing mentality and cultural, even racial divide between these four areas of the United States, have Americans experienced any identity observations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2016, 02:36 PM

11,076 posts, read 12,505,871 times
Four is too few.

This seems like a good start at 11 different nations. Not exactly how I'd divide them up, but pretty good.

Old 03-16-2016, 02:40 PM

2,406 posts, read 6,051,957 times
To answer your question, "NO".

The U.S. is made up of MANY different regions and sub-regions, representing MANY different ethnicities, religious beliefs, cultural beliefs, etc.

I'm not really sure how else to answer your question. The U.S. is just too diverse to try to simply split it into 4 different categories.

California alone, where I've lived my whole life is vastly diverse, weather-wise, racially, topographically, etc. I can't even divide CA into neat little categories and it's just 1 of 50 states in the nation.

The only thing I'd concede to is that different regions of the country can tend to have predominant "personality traits".

Old 03-16-2016, 02:46 PM

1,150 posts, read 1,111,374 times
Thanks for the quick posts, just left my laptop ! I would add the North West, as an outsider looking in. I think that California would be the the most diverse though...

Old 03-16-2016, 03:18 PM

2,694 posts, read 3,204,436 times
Not really.

From a general culture standpoint, America is growing closer and closer together. Regional differences, while they still exist, probably aren't as pronounced as they used to be.

Old 03-16-2016, 03:42 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,102,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by England Dan View Post
There seems to be a growing mentality and cultural, even racial divide between these four areas of the United States, have Americans experienced any identity observations?
Can you give us some more insight as to why you've divided up the country so arbitrarily?

Old 03-16-2016, 03:47 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,102,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
Not really.

From a general culture standpoint, America is growing closer and closer together. Regional differences, while they still exist, probably aren't as pronounced as they used to be.
Agreed; Americans, by and large, and extremely homogenous from a purely cultural standpoint.

I think where Americans differ the most is politics. You'll find basically every kind of viewpoint and ideology on the spectrum in the US, and it can vary wildly, even among people from the same educational attainment and socioeconomic standing.

Old 03-16-2016, 06:10 PM

11,076 posts, read 12,505,871 times
I disagree with the idea that Americans are culturally united. The culture wars in the USA are intense and real. Different parts of the country have different religions, demographics of all kinds, ideologies, histories and economies. I guess I don't see this supposed cultural unity. Most people watch the super bowl? I have yet to be convinced on this both due to the facts I listed and my personal experience traveling. I feel like I'm in a foreign land even in western Massachusetts sometimes!

Old 03-16-2016, 08:07 PM

1,932 posts, read 2,480,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
I disagree with the idea that Americans are culturally united. The culture wars in the USA are intense and real. Different parts of the country have different religions, demographics of all kinds, ideologies, histories and economies. I guess I don't see this supposed cultural unity. Most people watch the super bowl? I have yet to be convinced on this both due to the facts I listed and my personal experience traveling. I feel like I'm in a foreign land even in western Massachusetts sometimes!
In college, I've had friends from Boston, Atlanta, Chicago, Los Angeles, Orange County, Phoenix, New Jeresy, New York City and Washington DC. Culturally I would say they are all the same with minor differences. Yes the people from PHX/LA/OC had more in common with each other than people from NY/NJ but I would say as a whole we are all, culturally, pretty similar. I think that you start to see differences in culture when you observe people from small towns across the country. Someone from an upper middle class family who grew up in Denver, culturally, is similar to someone who grew up in an upper middle class family from Seattle(maybe with slight differences such as political believes or certain attire). This is my experience and I think that as a whole we are more similar as a nation than we give ourselves credit for. At least compared to other countries like Germany, Italy, Brazil, South Africa, Mexico, Russia, ect. where depending on where you live in the country it's almost as if you are in an entirely different nation.

Old 03-16-2016, 08:39 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,428,578 times
Racial divide?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.