Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2016, 12:42 PM

72 posts, read 71,003 times

Advertisements

What city or general region of the USA has the worst of both worlds when it comes to winter and summer? In other words, what city has terribly hot/muggy summers followed by bone chilling winters?

I think the mid-atlantic states have the worst of both worlds because the winters can get really windy and cold and the summers are hot and humid.

In particular, Philadelphia's weather seems pretty bad and so does the Baltimore/D.C. area.
I'm from the Philadelphia area and my fondest teenage memories are feeling the humidity on my steering wheel whenever I went for a summer drive and having my bangs stick onto my forehead. Lol

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2016, 12:57 PM

5,518 posts, read 8,766,208 times
It's not the mid-Atlantic. Coastal areas generally have more moderate temperatures because of the oceans nearby. The widest fluctuations -- hot, muggy summers and really cold, snowy winters -- are found in the interior of the country. I'd guess the worst of both worlds would be in parts of the Great Plains and the Upper Midwest.

Old 03-14-2016, 01:00 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,808,097 times
Oklahoma City.

Winters aren't as cold as farther north, but are too cold for comfort and usually are accompanied by a 40mph north gust. Summers on the other hand are hot and dry, resembling the desert southwest with daily highs above 100*F in July and August. Springtime is of course tornado season. There is actually only about two months of good weather all year here.

Old 03-14-2016, 02:25 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,413,542 times
NYC comes to mind. Hot summers, especially since you have to walk everywhere and also wait for trains in stations that don't have A/C. Winters can get bad also. And lots of places in the Midwest have that combination as well.

Old 03-14-2016, 02:48 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,442,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
NYC comes to mind. Hot summers, especially since you have to walk everywhere and also wait for trains in stations that don't have A/C. Winters can get bad also. And lots of places in the Midwest have that combination as well.
NYC is much worse weather wise than Chicago, Detroit, etc in my opinion though due to the millions of extra people hanging around compounding it all. Subway stations in the summer ain't no joke either. That is what hell must be like.

Old 03-14-2016, 04:32 PM

72 posts, read 71,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
NYC is much worse weather wise than Chicago, Detroit, etc in my opinion though due to the millions of extra people hanging around compounding it all. Subway stations in the summer ain't no joke either. That is what hell must be like.
I can attest to this I live in NYC and the summer humidity is so bad that even 75 degrees feels like 95 sometimes.... Thankfully, most trains have A/C but the stations definitely do not. You can feel the heat just hit you when you walk into a station

Old 03-14-2016, 04:39 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,930,240 times
SE Colorado might be a candidate. Pueblo and towns to the east of it (La Junta, Lamar) etc, are routinely in the 90's/100's in the summer (when they are also prone to severe thunderstorms/tornadoes BTW), and are colder than even Denver (which is quite a bit further north) on average at night during the winter, and can just as well be prone to blizzards.

Old 03-14-2016, 06:00 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,090,856 times
The Midwest...

Old 03-14-2016, 06:04 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,561,071 times
Any Great Plains state, very little to stop the wind and extreme changes in temperature are common.

Old 03-14-2016, 06:07 PM

17,788 posts, read 13,677,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Oklahoma City.

Winters aren't as cold as farther north, but are too cold for comfort and usually are accompanied by a 40mph north gust. Summers on the other hand are hot and dry, resembling the desert southwest with daily highs above 100*F in July and August. Springtime is of course tornado season. There is actually only about two months of good weather all year here.
This is simply not true. I would say that only two out of 10 summers are anything close to the desert Southwest and I can only think of two or three in the last 50 years that would measure up to a Phoenix type of summer.

The winters are NEVER as bad as they are further north and are rarely as bad as they are in the Midwest or northeast if for no other reason there isn't as much snow.

Again, I would say that maybe two winters in ten are marred by prolonged cold and snow/ice. A typical winter has an aggregate of maybe 4 to 5 weeks of really bad winter. Always interspersed with many mild and even some balmy days.

The average daytime high for Oklahoma in July and August is 93 and 94 degrees. The average daytime high in December is between 47-50 degrees as is January. (depending on the source). Granted there are some extremes that manage to play into these averages but OKC has a decent climate compared to a lot of places.

2015 had few days over 100 in the summer and didn't really get that hot otherwise. This winter there were two total weeks in November and December that were cold and snowy/icy. Thus far in 2016 there haven't been more than 4 or 5 days that it didn't get at least to 40 degrees. And most days have been over 50 degrees.

Oh, and the average wind speed in December and January. 11.5 mph. And average snow in OKC per annum is 9 inches. Granted, ice is a problem at times.

Last edited by eddie gein; 03-14-2016 at 06:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.