Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which side is more green?
East 226 91.50%
West 21 8.50%
Voters: 247. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2015, 02:09 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,891,482 times

Advertisements

West:
Portland
Seattle

East:
Atlanta
Pittsburgh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2015, 03:25 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,324,300 times
Louisiana is extremely lush green year round.

Old 12-10-2015, 08:00 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,545,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
Generally as a whole, the east is greener, however if you are talking about the immediate coast (10 mi from coast line) the west is greener through out the year, especially north of San Fran, but even if you go south it's only brown in the summer, and it's still greener than the dead of winter back east. And the Olympic peninsula/hoh rainforest is definitely the greenest.

Hoh Rainforest Stock Photos And Pictures | Getty Images
Not really. Once you get around Richmond in terms of latitude, a lot of Southern evergreens start to appear, so the South is still fairly green in the winter.

Old 12-10-2015, 09:21 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,921,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyroninja42 View Post
Not really. Once you get around Richmond in terms of latitude, a lot of Southern evergreens start to appear, so the South is still fairly green in the winter.
That's true, but the grass is still brown though, for some odd reason? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Old 12-10-2015, 09:38 PM

707 posts, read 749,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
While I'm not as sure about the states further north, I do know that parts of Louisiana and Texas are some of the wettest and greenest areas in the nation; more so than most places east of the Mississippi, in fact.
Lol you've obviously never been to West Texas. It sits in two of the most inhospitable deserts in NA (Tularosa/Jornada del Muerto; Big Bend), though, strangely, also in one of the most bio-diverse on Earth (Chihuahuan).

Old 12-11-2015, 12:40 AM

9,468 posts, read 10,796,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
That's true, but the grass is still brown though, for some odd reason? Correct me if I'm wrong.
The grass in my yard in Tennessee is still green, but the leaves are gone. There are some evergreens and some shrubs and bushes that stay green. Its not as brown and dead looking as up north, but still quite brown in my opinion. If you go to the deep deep South AKA Florida and Southeast Texas, you will find year round green everywhere. Most of the South has some type of winter weather however. Its mild and shorter than the North but we still get it.

Old 12-11-2015, 12:50 AM

5,699 posts, read 4,921,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
The grass in my yard in Tennessee is still green, but the leaves are gone. There are some evergreens and some shrubs and bushes that stay green. Its not as brown and dead looking as up north, but still quite brown in my opinion. If you go to the deep deep South AKA Florida and Southeast Texas, you will find year round green everywhere. Most of the South has some type of winter weather however. Its mild and shorter than the North but we still get it.
Ok, it's just that it was only a couple years ago that I learned in the east the grass goes dormant in the winter, here in Seattle, even if there is snow, or extreme cold, the grass stays green, so I wonder where is the line where grass goes dormant in winter and where it stays green.

Old 12-11-2015, 09:52 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,960,383 times
Quote:
Our grass always stayed green in IL, unless there was a drought. I lived in Clarksville, TN, and it gets just as brown and ugly there as anywhere up north can. Just my $0.02.

Old 12-11-2015, 05:35 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,921,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I would say it's a lot greener from late/mid fall to mid/late Spring than those areas except for Florida and maybe parts of the Deep South.
You will see intense winter green all along the entire Coastal South, from southern Virginia down to Florida, and west to Coastal Texas. All along the coasts are forests filled with the broad-leaf evergreen Live Oak, and other such species. They literally look like jungle:
Cumberland Island, GA:

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7177/...00670709_b.jpg

In the CONUS, the Coastal South has by far the best climate for sustaining vigorous growth of trees and plants; it has an overall warm climate with lots of humidity and rainfall, ideal conditions for the vast majority of plants. Anywhere in the coastal South that lacks profuse forest growth would be doing due to only the abiotic factors other than the climate (such as soil, for instance).

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
PNWe_t

WA = "the Evergreen state" 300' tall evergreen trees in my 'Pacific rain forest' (backyard)...(with moss and ferns growing on trunks) Yes, we truly have the official designation as a 'rain-forest'

The Evergreen State State Nickname (unofficial) | State Symbols USA

200+ days drizzle / yr, GREEN all winter... (except the 2-3 times it snows... (washed away by rain within 4 hours))

Vancouver BC (Lynden / Blaine (USA)> Seattle > Salem.

Moss on the roofs, north facing walls, and sidewalks, Green fir needles EVERYWHERE (they never turn brown, even OFF the tree, unless burnt by sun (what sun?)). Our slugs are also green (we have PLENTY of 6" slugs slime-ing around the yard and sidewalks (squish).

Even the stuff in my refrigerator is green! (celery, lettuce, cabbage, chard, Zucchini, cucumbers, green chili, green peppers, apples (red apples are not fit to eat), 7-up...)

BTW: we (PNW) have to mow our lawns 3x / week (in the drizzle), and my field grass is 7' tall by june!

Blackberry vines are green (and big) I have some over 30' (3 stories) tall, My corn grows above my 16' ladder I use to place sprinkler. (when it finally quits raining (July 5th and the 80 days following) Then... more rain (until next July 5th). I log 100 - 120" of drizzle / yr.

My TX place gets 37 Inches of rain 1/3rd of that came in 4 hrs last May. (not drizzle!!)

It is not green yr round in TX. (except on the lakes / NE TX)
Wrong, check out the southern half of the state (especially along the coastal areas); you will see profuse year-round green to various degrees. The extreme southern area of the state almost has a tropical climate, and is filled with plants and animals that otherwise would be confined only to Mexico and Central/South America (many of the species range further up the state too).

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehkou View Post
Lol you've obviously never been to West Texas. It sits in two of the most inhospitable deserts in NA (Tularosa/Jornada del Muerto; Big Bend), though, strangely, also in one of the most bio-diverse on Earth (Chihuahuan).
Texas is a huge state. Some parts are dry, like West Texas, as you mentioned, while other parts, like Southeast Texas, are wet. Southeast Texas averages more annual rainfall than almost the entire CONUS.

Quote:
The states on the immediate west side of the Mississippi are still quite green. Arkansas and Missouri are very lush. However if you get west of there it the greenery and lushness fade very quick.
Not in East Texas and Louisiana. Both areas have environments more lush than parts of the East Coast.

Old 12-11-2015, 05:56 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,631,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
You will see intense winter green all along the entire Coastal South, from southern Virginia down to Florida, and west to Coastal Texas. All along the coasts are forests filled with the broad-leaf evergreen Live Oak, and other such species. They literally look like jungle:
Cumberland Island, GA:

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7177/...00670709_b.jpg

In the CONUS, the Coastal South has by far the best climate for sustaining vigorous growth of trees and plants; it has an overall warm climate with lots of humidity and rainfall, ideal conditions for the vast majority of plants. Anywhere in the coastal South that lacks profuse forest growth would be doing due to only the abiotic factors other than the climate (such as soil, for instance).
That's not any greener than the Pacific Northwest though. Not sure if I say it's the best either, the trees in the PNW grow a lot taller and a lot of the areas get much more rainfall than the South.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.