Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 09:13 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,416,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbern100 View Post
I only have taken chapel hill/carrboro transit for ball games, lacrosse tournaments and to see concerts and after drinking and visiting friends but I would say carrboro/chapel hill/ orange county public transit is one of the cleanest and safest public bus systems I have ever seen, probably like most affluent college towns, it is nothing like big city public transit.

I would check to see, 20 miles is a long way and if the bus system doesnt go to work you may require a car,but you wont be going to raleigh alot if you dont have a car. raleigh is a great town but it is totally a different city from chapel hill from my impressions. I think you will absolutely love that carrboro / chapel hill area if you like college towns
Oh I'm definitely having a car. I wouldn't even consider moving to the area if I didn't have a car. 25 mile commute to an area with no public transit, and then a longer commute in 2016. Yeah...car is needed.

I'll have to check out the Chapel Hill buses for making short trips around CH, I've definitely heard good things about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2015, 09:35 PM

3,615 posts, read 2,330,349 times
I would get a bike too, huge town and county for biking . I think my world would probably be around carrboro after work ends as carrboro and chapel hill are very very condensed and everything you is easily accessible and probably walking distance and certainly bus distance. In carrboro everything is right there grocery stores bars, restaurants etc, nice looking women lol. bus service goes way out as the towns are based on the college

Maybe look at a motorcycle.vespa/scooter lol . very hip town My sister attended there and I called chapel hill la la land because it is so safe, so rich and so liberal but she loved it, beautiful area with gorgeous homes in chapel hill. First time we visited for her tours of colleges for her masters we did a tour of the whole campus and went to look at these mills turned into condos and apartments in carrboro and as an artist she worked at this little place called artspace.

then went out to pittsboro and took my parents to ferrington village in a close little town called pittsboro, an old dairy they transformed into little village/restaurant etc.very nice little town. She was sold immediately, all of carborro /chapel hill and most of what I saw of orange county was a really beautiful area

Old 07-30-2015, 12:43 AM

1,099 posts, read 1,428,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
If you're looking for lots of young single women, I'd honestly avoid pretty much every Western city. It's a sausage fest out here.
I saw a map that showed that, and it kind of shocked me. Why aren't there single women out west? Especially in an area like LA? You'd think there'd be tons of single actresses.

Old 07-30-2015, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Then that severely limits your options. Unfortunately, this is America and not Paris. Like I said, think of public transit in most of these places you're looking at to be like how the public transit is in St. Louis. Outside of places like NYC, Philly, etc...sure you can get by without a car, but you'll still need one at some point.
New York has lots of single girls and good nightlife....New York it is? Haha

Old 07-30-2015, 09:11 AM
PDF

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanRam View Post
New York has lots of single girls and good nightlife....New York it is? Haha
NYC has everything.

Old 07-30-2015, 09:26 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,811,145 times
Quote:
I saw a map that showed that, and it kind of shocked me. Why aren't there single women out west? Especially in an area like LA? You'd think there'd be tons of single actresses.
In the SF Bay Area its a combination of being the center of the tech industry, which has a way out of balance male to female ratio, as well as the area's high LGBTQPIA population. Not sure if its the same in Portland or Seattle.

Old 07-30-2015, 03:06 PM

So my top tier is - New York, Chicago, LA
With the next tier being - Austin, Portland, DC

Can anyone tell me more about Nashville, Atlanta, and Dallas? Other than public transportation, does it have the criteria I'm searching for?

Old 07-30-2015, 05:03 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,784,744 times
Atlanta

Old 07-30-2015, 06:19 PM
PDF

Quote:

Can anyone tell me more about Nashville, Atlanta, and Dallas? Other than public transportation, does it have the criteria I'm searching for?
Atlanta has the best public transit out of those 3 you mentioned, but I wouldn't live in either of those without a car. The public transit in those types of cities are going to be no better than it is in St. Louis.

When I move to Raleigh in a few weeks, this will be my first time living somewhere that I actually need a car. And I'm pretty excited about it.

Old 07-30-2015, 07:34 PM

7,777 posts, read 10,160,922 times
Quote:

Quote:
1. Lots of young people, and lots of singles (this is the most important factor)
2. Great public transportation; I'd prefer to avoid driving
3. Moderate weather would be great; I'm a coward when it comes to the cold, and humidity makes me sweat like no other
4. A good nightlife and bar scene would also be great
5. A city with lots of creatives would be helpful. I'm a writer, and I've been working on some short films, so finding people to collaborate with would be ideal
6. This is going to be the hard one considering the previous five posts, but I'd love it if the city in question wouldn't break my bank! The cheaper the better.
7. Lots of job opportunities; I'm willing to change my career for the right place
Ok, imo Nashville is poor on factor #2. For nos 1, 4 and 7 it's fine, but obviously far behind the much much larger ATL and Dallas.

Dallas should be great for all things except #2 and #3, which are ok. I actually find Dallas' light rail to be pretty good but it's just not utilized by the population which does indicate problems. I have only ridden it as a visitor though I did have a friend who used it for his commute on most days. Dallas will get a bit cold in winter and quite hot in the summer, but not as bad as some other options. Also for #5 it's underwhelming, but given it's large size you would at least hopefully find it not lacking.

Atlanta is great on all fronts except #2, but it's actually quite decent in that regard. As I said before, I'd put Atlanta as a wildcard for consideration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.