Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 12:33 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,931,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
It didn't say parks though. It said neighborhoods and Philly does not have a lot of tree covered neighborhoods.
Except you keep ignoring that Northwest Philly is filled with tree covered neighborhoods-Chestnut Hill, East Falls, Andorra, Mount Airy, Wissahickon, Germantown. And other parts of the city have neighborhoods like this too, just not as much. Old, tall trees that reach across the street-not young landscaping. I've posted links.

Anyway, this isn't just about one or two cities so I'll leave it at that.

NW Philly

Wissahickon | Philadelphia Water Department

Last edited by 2e1m5a; 04-14-2015 at 12:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2015, 02:15 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,546,038 times
Virginia Beach has a TON.

Over in the Great Neck area, the neighborhoods seem to be built under the forests- there's a persistent canopy.

Old 04-14-2015, 03:09 PM

1,485 posts, read 2,251,837 times
It's not a city that immediately pops in a lot of people's heads, but Kingman Boulevard in Des Moines is line with trees not only on both sides of the streets, but even in the median strip. This image is 90 years old, but the general layout is basically the same today (except it didn't have the trees in the median then):

cardcow.com

Old 04-14-2015, 10:28 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,279,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Except you keep ignoring that Northwest Philly is filled with tree covered neighborhoods-Chestnut Hill, East Falls, Andorra, Mount Airy, Wissahickon, Germantown. And other parts of the city have neighborhoods like this too, just not as much. Old, tall trees that reach across the street-not young landscaping. I've posted links.

Anyway, this isn't just about one or two cities so I'll leave it at that.
NW Philly
Wissahickon | Philadelphia Water Department
No one is denying the perimeter of Philly and areas built after ww2. It is much of the rest. No says none of Philly? Just much built before ww2 and gentrified or redeveloped areas that added trees? But so many poorer areas still are pretty void of green.

The green here is on the New Jersey side

Another picture of Philly

NOW COMPARE TO Chicago and all is green

Old 04-15-2015, 07:36 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,931,071 times
^You are showing pictures of Center City and South Philly-the densest neighborhoods in Philly.

Look at the picture I posted. Do you have one similar for Chicago? I'm sure there is, but I'd love to see.

I'm not really interested in defending my city for having trees LOL especially when the Northwest part of Philly is one of the most green urban areas anywhere and even created a landscaping style that has been emulated throughout the country.

"During the past ninety years, a distinct method of landscape design has developed in Chestnut Hill that is significant both as a feature that visually unifies the community and as a design form that is emulated nationwide. Referred to today as "The Wissahickon Style" paying homage to the valley land preserve that interweaves Chestnut Hill, giving context to virtually all of its gardens — this genre of landscape architecture stresses less formalistic planning and the strong use of native plants and materials. "
Chestnut Hill Historic District, Philadelphia City, Philadelphia County, Philadelphia PA, 19118

Why don't you show the pictures of Chicago that are "all green"? Many cities have beautiful trees.

I'd love to see more pictures of trees and greenery in Atlanta and Portland personally.

Old 04-15-2015, 07:46 AM

1,624 posts, read 2,036,841 times
Some areas in Austin and Dallas have a good amount of tree cover as well. Parts of San Antonio is heavily forested as well. Houston is the most forested city in Texas.

Old 04-15-2015, 01:32 PM

128 posts, read 242,296 times
Charlotte is another city with the nickname the city of trees. From a blimp or a plane all you see is trees except for the downtown area that is about 15 blocks by 10 blocks. Obviously, this means a ton of tree pollen in March and April.

Old 04-15-2015, 06:58 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,210,165 times
Definitely DC.

The whole city outside of most of Downtown is like an urban metropolis within a huge park.

I'd say the most beautiful tree-covered neighborhoods in The City are:

Capitol Hill
Adams Morgan
Lanier Heights
Anacostia
Fort Dupont
Takoma
Michigan Park
Trinidad
Woodley Park
Forest Hills
Woodridge
Glover Park
Foxhall
Palisades
Barney Circle
Mount Pleasant
Cleveland Park
Kent
Brookland
Penn Branch
Shepard Park
Chevy Chase
Bloomingdale
LeDroit Park

All those among others.

DC be too beautiful around this time of year, both the vegetation and landscaping be ripe and lush and the weather beyond spectacular And on top of that, there's a LOT of parkland in DC as well.

Last edited by tcave360; 04-15-2015 at 07:11 PM..

Old 04-15-2015, 07:04 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,210,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Compared to many cities, NYC and Philly do not have a lot of trees. Chicago is a city that's both dense and has a lot of tree covered neighborhoods.
I actually found the more residential parts of Center City Philadelphia like Old City, Rittenhouse, and Washington Square West to have a decent amount of tree coverage. Parts of West and Northwest Philly look extremely beautiful in some pics.

There are some lovely tree-covered nabes in New York too, especially in northern Bronx, parts of Queens such as Forest Hills and Kew Gardens, Central Park West and Greenwich Village among others in Manhattan, and much of Staten Island as well. My friend who went to St. John's University main SI campus said that Staten Island's terrain actually reminded her of Maryland.

There are greener and even wilder looking cities than NYC or Philly I agree, but those two aren't really that bad either.

Old 04-15-2015, 07:08 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,091,366 times
Chicago...and most of the suburbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.