Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 04:45 PM

19 posts, read 30,051 times

Advertisements

- What about the far Philly 'burbs -- like 35- 55 miles out? The frenetic pace slows down noticeably once you get like 40 miles outside of the city. I would know, I used to live like 40 miles outside the city. I guarantee you that there's some suburb or small town outside of Philly that would suit you perfectly. The area offers a little bit of everything -- skyscrapers to the sticks. Or check out towns in Delaware / New Jersey if you don't want to move too far, and want a different vibe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2015, 05:17 PM

4,045 posts, read 4,429,035 times
Default Burnt Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
But surely there's some kind of middle ground between a city like Philadelphia and the middle of nowhere? It sounds like you are done with life and want to exile yourself, at least that's how it comes off.
Yeah,that's kind of what the area does to people...I've heard of quite a few people from out here who have become burned out on it and have ended up in places like out west or Alaska.

Old 02-15-2015, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methedy23 View Post
- What about the far Philly 'burbs -- like 35- 55 miles out? The frenetic pace slows down noticeably once you get like 40 miles outside of the city. I would know, I used to live like 40 miles outside the city. I guarantee you that there's some suburb or small town outside of Philly that would suit you perfectly. The area offers a little bit of everything -- skyscrapers to the sticks. Or check out towns in Delaware / New Jersey if you don't want to move too far, and want a different vibe.
Been there done that,ready to expand elsewhere.

Old 02-15-2015, 06:55 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,022,283 times
I hate to say this (since I know this isn't what you want to hear), but every study I have seen shows the slowest states are disproportionately in the Northeast. This makes sense when you consider:

1. Speed limits are lower.
2. There is more congestion/traffic.
3. You are less likely to use a divided highway for regular travel, and more likely to rely on surface roads.

Old 02-15-2015, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I hate to say this (since I know this isn't what you want to hear), but every study I have seen shows the slowest states are disproportionately in the Northeast. This makes sense when you consider:

1. Speed limits are lower.
2. There is more congestion/traffic.
3. You are less likely to use a divided highway for regular travel, and more likely to rely on surface roads.
That does seem disproportionate since though the speed 'limits' are lower doesn't mean people even follow them...the limits seem more like minimums; And just because there is congestion doesn't mean people aren't constantly trying to invent ways to get around/through it.

Old 02-15-2015, 08:20 PM

170 posts, read 235,087 times
I also was going to point out the slowest drivers are usually in the densest cities. Congestion has a way of significantly slowing traffic. Out in the middle of nowhere, not only are speed limits higher but people aren't dealing with a traffic issues and can go faster.

Outside of densely populated cities, some of the slowest towns I've encountered are in rural New England. Low speed limits that have to be followed because of pedestrian traffic.

Old 02-15-2015, 08:26 PM

I guess I didn't mean low speed limits because of defaults like congestion,that doesn't seem to stop many from trying to break out of traffic and open it up...

I was driving through Fort Wayne Indiana years ago and it seemed like a pretty slow pace in general...things like that. I'd also seen small towns in Texas where there's a slow pace and one blinking traffic light etc.

Old 02-15-2015, 08:32 PM

170 posts, read 235,087 times
Those one light towns on Texas aren't going to have really slow drivers seeing as there is only one light to slow things down. I grew up in one of those towns. They don't really have a central, usable and functional downtown area because the center of life in these towns are the church or the school and are often located well outside of the center where the one light is located. One thing to keep in mind is that every single area is going to have their driving issues. If you find yourself deeply frustrated driving where you live now, you'll probably still find yourself deeply frustrated driving in another place.

If you mean a slower pace of life, you can get that pretty much outside of any major city. It depends on your desires and requirements.

Old 02-15-2015, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameCreativity View Post
One thing to keep in mind is that every single area is going to have their driving issues. If you find yourself deeply frustrated driving where you live now, you'll probably still find yourself deeply frustrated driving in another place.
Not really,I've been places with slower pace of life and wish I could return to similar.

Old 02-15-2015, 10:06 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,388,384 times
Florida. You'll be required to buy a beige Buick with a left turn signal that is permanently on though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.