Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 10:06 AM

3,875 posts, read 4,705,104 times

Advertisements

You apparently have not ever read my written criticisms of georgia here on other threads or ever noted that I sometimes fail to capitalize it's name out of disgust with the mindset of much of it's ruling political class. And did you even read my earlier comment about my having being insulted in my own living room by the tenor of the tv political ads? Does that sound as though I think that georgia is a land of milk and honey or akin to Massachusetts? Good grief!
No, georgia is not a shining example for progressisim & it's state motto, "Wisdom, justice & moderation" is a total joke, as I've pointed out on city data before. So don't put words into my mouth.
But, one thing that does separate georgia from s.c. is that it does have enough of a large block of urban population with moderate to even liberal mindsets to easily distance it from the situation that is found in s.c.
s.c. is what it is so don't act p.o'd at me because I point out that reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2014, 10:11 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,668,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
It will happen very soon. The problem isn't southerners... it is more an old vs. young thing. (And even that isn't consistent) Like all throughout history, as communication technology advances, bigotry dies out.

Being anti-gay and using the government to force your morality on other people is a dying system, it is in its death-throws right now.

'The Daily Show' Sent A 'Gay' Couple To Alabama And Mississippi, And The Results Might Surprise You

No, I think it's more urban vs rural. I know plenty of small town Southern teens who are just as bigoted as their grandparents.

Old 07-31-2014, 10:11 AM

37,898 posts, read 42,033,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
But, one thing that does separate georgia from s.c. is that it does have enough of a large block of urban population with moderate to even liberal mindsets to easily distance it from the situation that is found in s.c.
s.c. is what it is so don't act p.o'd at me because I point out that reality.
The issue is that that block has little influence on the state level and you know it; otherwise the states wouldn't almost mirror each other in terms of legislation passed. You wanna compare Atlanta politics with SC's? Fine, although it wouldn't be apples to apples. But state-to-state, you don't have much of an argument whatsoever so again, it would probably be best for you to drop the whole matter because you're not winning. And that whole "boycott" thing, while living in and paying taxes to the state of Georgia? Man that's rich. And again, why is SC in particular the object of your disgust here as opposed to other neighboring states? What's with the obsession?

Old 07-31-2014, 10:16 AM

3,147 posts, read 3,506,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
No, I think it's more urban vs rural. I know plenty of small town Southern teens who are just as bigoted as their grandparents.
Bullcrap. I grew up in a rural town, the minorities and gays I grew up with were treated better by their peers and neighbors than when they moved to the cities. They write home about the hate they experience and how they miss their small town and the kind people there.

Just another stereotype about "evil rural people".

(It doesn't matter who you know, I live in a city and I know plenty of bigoted individuals as well. Tie game. That is why anecdotal evidence doesn't work.)

Old 07-31-2014, 10:17 AM

4,513 posts, read 5,063,429 times
Hopefully never !

Old 07-31-2014, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
Hopefully never !
I hope you have rights removed then, lets be fair now...

Old 07-31-2014, 10:30 AM

3,875 posts, read 4,705,104 times
georgia's record is nothing to brag about but you fail to recognize something that I've seen coming for a while & which demographers & sociologists are now noting & writing about & that is the ticking demographic time bomb in Georgia that will spell the end of the present dominance here by the more extreme elements of the right wing in the georgia gop.
As it stands now, there is a growing bloc of somewhat moderate urban gop members in the state legislature & quite recently they have begun to flex their muscle and influence the gop bloc there by extension.
Additionally, as much as I despise him, the governor has worked well with Mayor Kasim Reed as a team on several fronts for the betterment of the state.
So, the evidence is already there that fruit will not be borne overnight but that it is past the budding stage here so to speak.
I'm not in this thread on the same more personal level as you seem to be so your judgement as to "winning" here is not relevant for me. And your advice given twice now for me to "drop it" is insulting on a personal level & unneccessary. You have crossed that line with me on the forum on a previous occasion.

Old 07-31-2014, 11:34 AM

136 posts, read 241,580 times
Hopefully never. Realistically speaking, it's important to note that not one state has ever chosen to accept gay marriage. Heck, even in the extremely liberal state of California, they voted to defend traditional marriage the polls by a sizable margin. That wasn't that long ago.

The decision to accept gay marriage is being made by one man, speaking for an entire state, on something most of them don't want. I can almost promise if you took a public opinion poll in Virginia, the fast majority are opposed to the new ruling.

Old 07-31-2014, 11:36 AM

136 posts, read 241,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
I hope you have rights removed then, lets be fair now...
Yep. And let's be fair to all other groups too; incestuous tenancies (what if both individuals are say, over 50, and have no potential to reproduce -- who does it hurt?), polygamists, and pedophiles. Love is love right? There are no boundaries. You say so yourselves.

Old 07-31-2014, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest Gent View Post
Yep. And let's be fair to all other groups too; incestuous tenancies (what if both individuals are say, over 50, and have no potential to reproduce -- who does it hurt?), polygamists, and pedophiles. Love is love right? There are no boundaries. You say so yourselves.
Nope, you just made up all that crap because you can't stick to the issue at hand. I am fine with any consenting adults doing anything that doesn't hurt another person, regardless of whether or not you are offended.

Don't like it? Stop claiming to believe in freedom... you believe in privileges, plain and simple. Disgusting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.