Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 06:24 PM

1,359 posts, read 2,485,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
I'd be curious to see the growth rates. Are Portland/Seattle/Denver growing as fast as Austin/Charlotte/Raleigh? The former three seem more "established" despite growth rates.
Amazon alone is growing VERY fast, and is still hiring like mad in Seattle:

Amazon soars to nearly 110,000 employees, surpasses Microsoft for first time - GeekWire
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2014, 06:30 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,562,085 times
I don't jump on the fast growing city bandwagon.

I'm much happier in a constant and steady growing area that can support its growth.

Old 06-24-2014, 11:40 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,203,554 times
The fast growing cities have plenty of people moving to them already and there is no need to even consider a campaign to increase those numbers.

Old 06-24-2014, 11:55 AM

542 posts, read 1,685,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post

I'm much happier in a constant and steady growing area that can support its growth.
I agree. I moved to Tampa in 2003 and it seemed that everyone I met had just moved there from somewhere else. I also wasn't prepared for the traffic...especially since the roads weren't built for that large of a population. Same is true in Seattle...traffic has gotten horrendous.

Old 06-24-2014, 12:52 PM

2,420 posts, read 3,857,333 times
I don't think I'd be less likely to move to cities that are growing rapidly. Cities that grow rapidly provide opportunities like new jobs, new stores, new restaurants, etc. Sure there is a flip side to this with more noise, more pollution, more traffic and increased crime.

-Cheers.

Old 06-25-2014, 11:25 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,601,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
The places I've enjoyed living the most have had slow steady growth. They're established, less chaotic. Pleasant.
The downside is trying to break into a culture full of people who have always lived there.
Still, I prefer them to fast growing cities that are often full of highly mobile transplants who may be gone next year for greener pastures.
Cities where the construction never ends. I can barely stand to drive through cities like that, even when I'm just passing through. Couldn't imagine living in such a place.
In some fast-growing parts of the country, they're building cities that don't have a lot of cohesion or structure. So even when they're "finished" with an area, it's still very odd and random. The modern way some places are building and growing is absolutely horrible. It's like there is no plan, or perhaps a dozen or so competing plans that conflict with each other.
Then there's the location of fast-growing cities. None of them are in places I'd live anyway. Austin, Charlotte, Raleigh... way too hot.
The rest are too expensive, and I don't care to live out west. It's good for vacations.
I live in Charlotte and it is this way. They just throw things where they can and call it done. Put a brand new neighborhood with cookie cutter homes behind a trailer park next to an industrial center sure! people will but them. They have tried to wrangle it in and build smart but it is growing to fast and they just keep building mostly outward with some buildings being built downtown...wait uptown. I moved here before it started really booming and I can say I have watched the immediate area around where I bought my home change in those very few years.

Old 06-25-2014, 12:40 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,181,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_show View Post
I agree. I moved to Tampa in 2003 and it seemed that everyone I met had just moved there from somewhere else. I also wasn't prepared for the traffic...especially since the roads weren't built for that large of a population. Same is true in Seattle...traffic has gotten horrendous.
Seattle's traffic is worse than Tampa's (it rains all the time so drivers seem to slow down more). I-5 is just as bad as I-4/I-275 (they direct traffic to the city in the morning via some express lanes and in the evening they switch the flow to the opposite direction but still it's pretty bad, despite public transportation). Tampa is a work in progress right now. Once projects are done, they should alleviate some of the traffic. Cities have become overcrowded. Check back in 20 years, see what happened.

Old 06-25-2014, 12:47 PM

3,121 posts, read 3,101,901 times
Quote:

The Twin Cities and Kansas City seem to fit that bill. Steady enough growth to support the places you grew up loving and not enough growth to throw a whole bunch of new stuff in the path of the places you grew up loving.

Old 06-25-2014, 01:11 PM

27,231 posts, read 44,072,830 times
Quote:
i don't jump on the fast growing city bandwagon.

+1

Old 06-26-2014, 01:44 PM

14,188 posts, read 22,786,804 times
What do we call uncontrolled plant growth? Weeds. What do we call uncontrolled cellular growth? Cancer. Why do we look at uncontrolled population growth so positively?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.