Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 10:04 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,617,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
There are no boring places.

You have never been to Dayton, Ohio.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2014, 10:09 AM

8,980 posts, read 17,288,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
National Museum of the USAF
The Neon
Carillon Historical Park
Dayton Jazz Central
Gilly's Jazz
Wiley's Comedy Niteclub

Old 06-13-2014, 10:40 AM

555 posts, read 862,099 times
Wow. This list is very accurate.

Old 06-13-2014, 11:08 AM

933 posts, read 1,533,468 times
I wouldn't say Plano or Irving are boring places to live because you can just drive into Dallas for your entertainment options.

Old 06-13-2014, 06:37 PM

8,804 posts, read 10,243,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReppingDFW View Post
I wouldn't say Plano or Irving are boring places to live because you can just drive into Dallas for your entertainment options.
Was about to say the same thing, ditto North Las Vegas and Mesa.

Old 06-14-2014, 10:15 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
These lists are inane. Who defines "boring"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
There are no boring places.
Only boring people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Apparently neither have you.

Old 06-14-2014, 10:28 AM

465 posts, read 658,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
Interesting that almost all of these "boring" cities are in Sunbelt territory. Toledo and Lousville are not, but the two Jersey cities are close to New York. So that's like 98% of boring places are Sunbelt places. It must be the heat! I knew there was a reason I loved New York, Chicago and San Francisco!
Their methodology emphasizes two factors (18-34 population and density) that are only tangentially related to how boring a place is, which is how a city like Anaheim can make the list, because while millions of people repeatedly visit and are obviously not bored enough by it to stay away with their tourist dollars, the actual residents of the city skew older and suburban. This is also why so many Sun Belt cities are listed, because guess where all the retirees have gone.

As others have noted, this method did seem to nail the top of the list, though.

Old 06-14-2014, 02:57 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,947,442 times
That's a strange list, as I don't consider any of those cities to be "large" by any means. If we define "large" as the primary city in a metro area with a population of at least 1 million, then, based on my experience and observations (and I could be wrong), I would say these metro areas are considered to be boring:

Hartford
Rochester
Richmond
Raleigh
Jacksonville
Birmingham
Oklahoma City
Cleveland
Indianapolis
Kansas City
Milwaukee
Phoenix
Riverside
Sacramento
San Jose

So basically, Phoenix and Riverside are the most boring large metropolitan areas.

Old 06-14-2014, 03:17 PM

268 posts, read 430,611 times
I agree that Phoenix is one of the most boring metros. The issue with Southwest cities is that land is so cheap, and they developed largely after the car came into existence. Arizona and Texas are very conservative and allergic to urban planning, so they just let developers do whatever they want. That results in sprawl, lack of a community feeling, and no real gathering places with walkable restaurants, bookstores, and cultural attractions.

To boot in Arizona, people come here to escape — you can't shovel snow! <barf> —*and tend to avoid the type of civic participation that would make this area better. The sun, I think also has an impact. Places with good weather are much less likely to be intellectual. San Fran and the entire Northeast are home to the nation's best cultural institutions and universities.

That intellectualism creates culture. In Phoenix, people just go hike, get heat exhaustion and pass out. Or maybe they're hanging out in the pool drinking beer all day. That's not the type of community that results in a vibrant society.

Even in New Jersey, where I grew up, you could drive to the high speed line and be in Philadelphia in 20 minutes. Museums, Rittenhouse Square, lovely cafes, all in walking distance, I could go on.

In Phoenix, if and when they build a light rail near my house, it will take me to Phoenix. But Phoenix itself is so spread out that you still need a car to get around.

Old 06-14-2014, 03:25 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,814,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaFriday View Post
I agree that Phoenix is one of the most boring metros. The issue with Southwest cities is that land is so cheap, and they developed largely after the car came into existence. Arizona and Texas are very conservative and allergic to urban planning, so they just let developers do whatever they want. That results in sprawl, lack of a community feeling, and no real gathering places with walkable restaurants, bookstores, and cultural attractions.

To boot in Arizona, people come here to escape — you can't shovel snow! <barf> —*and tend to avoid the type of civic participation that would make this area better. The sun, I think also has an impact. Places with good weather are much less likely to be intellectual. San Fran and the entire Northeast are home to the nation's best cultural institutions and universities.

That intellectualism creates culture. In Phoenix, people just go hike, get heat exhaustion and pass out. Or maybe they're hanging out in the pool drinking beer all day. That's not the type of community that results in a vibrant society.

Even in New Jersey, where I grew up, you could drive to the high speed line and be in Philadelphia in 20 minutes. Museums, Rittenhouse Square, lovely cafes, all in walking distance, I could go on.

In Phoenix, if and when they build a light rail near my house, it will take me to Phoenix. But Phoenix itself is so spread out that you still need a car to get around.
This is 100% accurate of Phoenix. Most people just... drink. Or hide in their houses with A/C which is what I'm currently doing, haha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.