Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 06:05 PM

5 posts, read 5,839 times

Advertisements

What city has the best Thai food?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2014, 06:32 PM

10,660 posts, read 16,082,070 times
Los Angeles.

Old 06-08-2014, 07:29 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,578,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Los Angeles.
Next topic.

Old 06-09-2014, 09:32 AM

10,768 posts, read 23,902,608 times
in my experience, Seattle.

Old 06-09-2014, 10:24 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,806,827 times
LA and its not even close.

Old 06-09-2014, 10:28 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,806,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
in my experience, Seattle.
I remember there was a thread not too long ago about this topic. Someone had said there was a dish served in Seattle called "swimming rama" that they had a hard time finding outside Seattle and therefore Seattle had the best Thai food.

I went to my wife (who is from Thailand), my mother in law (from North Thailand), my father in law (from Bangkok), and her cousins and asked them about this dish. None of them had ever heard of it. That says one of two things to me:

1) Its an Americanized dish
2) Its a Thai dish that has another name in Thai and that its just called "swimming rama" at this one place.

Not saying that to discount Thai food in Seattle, but I didnt bring it up at the time.

Old 06-09-2014, 10:28 AM

131 posts, read 169,018 times
LA is the city that got me hooked on pad thai

Old 06-09-2014, 12:23 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,792,885 times
California in general, LA definitely has an edge over most of the rest of the state though. I've eaten plenty of good thai up here in the Bay as well, especially in Oakland.

Old 06-09-2014, 01:06 PM

4,834 posts, read 5,760,000 times
Des Moines, ID

Old 06-09-2014, 01:40 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,564,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
I remember there was a thread not too long ago about this topic. Someone had said there was a dish served in Seattle called "swimming rama" that they had a hard time finding outside Seattle and therefore Seattle had the best Thai food.

I went to my wife (who is from Thailand), my mother in law (from North Thailand), my father in law (from Bangkok), and her cousins and asked them about this dish. None of them had ever heard of it. That says one of two things to me:

1) Its an Americanized dish
2) Its a Thai dish that has another name in Thai and that its just called "swimming rama" at this one place.

Not saying that to discount Thai food in Seattle, but I didnt bring it up at the time.
It's called by a bunch of names in American Thai restaurants--pra rama long song, rama chicken, etc...it's nothing special--basically just chicken with peanut sauce. Yeah, I heard someone from Seattle ask about "swimming rama" in Portland as well and was confused.

Thai Rama Chicken, 'Praram Long Song' - ImportFood.com

Basically I find a lot of Thai food in American Thai restaurants fairly mediocre--it's like American Chinese restaurants at this point. There's so many places serving the same dishes--pad thai, red curry, green curry, yellow curry, tom yung goong--that it seems kind of boring. I like places that really specialize in certain regional Thai cuisines or Thai street food--- Los Angeles has a much larger mix than most places(though I've eaten Thai food there a few times there but I don't think I went to the best spots--though going to Thai New Year in Thaitown was a lot of fun with some good food stands too).

Where I live in Portland, there's maybe three exceptional Thai restaurants that do something interesting, and then there's a lot of dime a dozen Thai places, that are good for quick takeout but fail to impress. But sort of for that reason, when I travel around the US I rarely go eat Thai food--I'll pick Malaysian or Cambodian or Burmese which I'm still interested in trying more of. But it's a shame, because I like good Thai food, I just don't really care that much about the sort of average, cover everything in peanut sauce or green curry Thai places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.