Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 04:58 AM

3 posts, read 2,909 times

Advertisements

Hi there,
My hubby and I visited America for our honeymoon last year and fell in love!
We have both been made redundant in Australia, and work is drying up fast over here.
We are both hard working people who have worked from the moment we were old enough to gain employment.
My husband works in the Mining industry, but is a qualified Fitter, I have Certificates in Business and a long working life in the Administration industry.

Basically I was just wondering how easy would it be for us to gain employment in the US, and with our qualifications could be make a career and a life for ourselves over there?
Is there anything we should know/consider before moving forward?

How is the cost of living?
Any areas we should avoid?
Any tips?

Ok so I want to know a lot haha.

Any help would be very much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2014, 06:50 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,098,599 times
Very difficult. Sadly most jobs in America that don't suck are based on who you know, not what you know. If you don't know people over here, you will have a very small chance at finding equivalent work. Our disparity of wealth is also staggering compared to the other civilized nations, so if you don't find the kind of work, you may find yourselves taking a huge pay cut.

When my wife and I relocated between states a few years ago, one of our options was relocating to Australia because the government system and economic institutions are..... less retarded.

Old 06-06-2014, 07:13 AM

131 posts, read 168,411 times
Don't listen to the poster above, unemployment rate here in the states is only 6.3% in a couple of days the new data will probably be even lower. Australia unemployment rate isn't that much lower...The US offers much more opportunities at work than Australia!
Cost of living: EVERYTHING is cheaper including taxes, you can live in a very low crime, good schools area that's cheap
Any Areas We Should Avoid:
LA Avoid: Compton, parts of East LA, Carson, and south gate
NYC avoid: Upper Bronx, parts of Brooklyn
Chicago avoid: Any areas south of downtown

Any Tips: Crime is very overrated here, per capita crime is about the same as Australia,

Old 06-06-2014, 12:40 PM

27,196 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vergodela View Post
Don't listen to the poster above, unemployment rate here in the states is only 6.3% in a couple of days the new data will probably be even lower.
If one reads just the "official government numbers". However the reality is the numbers do not reflect those who have exhausted unemployment benefits or those who have given up looking, as well as the underemployed (working part-time but desire full-time). It's widely accepted that the "real unemployment rate" (The U-6 measure) shows a more accurate number that is pretty much twice as high.

What Is the Real Unemployment Rate?

Old 06-06-2014, 12:53 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,039,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandaandBrad View Post
Basically I was just wondering how easy would it be for us to gain employment in the US, and with our qualifications could be make a career and a life for ourselves over there? Is there anything we should know/consider before moving forward?
You do know that foreigners just can't immigrate to the US and work, right? You'd best check this forum before you dream:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/legal-immigration/

Old 06-06-2014, 01:36 PM

131 posts, read 168,411 times
True unemployment at 13 per cent, Australian Bureau of Statistics reveals | News.com.au

So I'm guessing Australia's unemployment rate is at 13%

Old 06-06-2014, 02:18 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,598,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandaandBrad View Post
Basically I was just wondering how easy would it be for us to gain employment in the US, and with our qualifications could be make a career and a life for ourselves over there?
Is there anything we should know/consider before moving forward?

How is the cost of living?
Any areas we should avoid?
Any tips?
America is a big place; 14 times the population of Australia (but the same in land area). There's about 50 metropolitan areas with over 1 million residents in a diverse range of climates, environments, and built form. You have endless choices on where and how you want to live. Making a list of what you want in a city would be a good place to start.

Old 06-06-2014, 06:07 PM

3 posts, read 2,909 times
I am very aware we can't just "show up and say, hey give us a job" we are going through the correct channels to make the move.
A move this big is not done "just because".

We are doing as much research as possible, having Visas approved, and following procedure.
I was just hoping for some positive feedback and information.

Thanks for your feedback nightlysparrow.

And thank you to all the other posters so far, we want to take in as much as possible before making a final decision.

Old 06-06-2014, 06:46 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,000,428 times
Not sure what a qualified Fitter is? Can you give a definition for the job / tasks.

Tunnel mining is drying up in the US, Coal from deep mines tend to be in very poor Economically distressed, very rural areas. Also new EPA (US environmental Agency) has proposed new CO2 lower levels from Power plants, (50% of US Power comes from coal). Most of that coal comes from Tunnel Mining. The Big Open Pit Coal tend to have lover emission levels.

The mining job tend to be Union Jobs, and getting a "Foot" in the door is very hard.

There are a number of BIG open Pit mines in some of States, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, Alaska Come to mind.

Old 06-07-2014, 10:20 PM

417 posts, read 445,009 times
Know that wages here are significantly lower than in Australia. Also, there is no free health care here, you must pay for it, and there is nothing cheap about it. You will also be shocked at how you will have hardly any workers rights by comparison, and forget about those 4-6 weeks of vacation you get each year in Oz. The cost of housing and food are much cheaper here in the states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.