Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 03:19 PM

10,644 posts, read 16,027,294 times

Advertisements

San Jose, Oakland, Sacramento, Reno, Salt Lake City, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Phoenix, San Antonio, Austin, Dallas, Houston,
New Orleans, Memphis, St.Louis, Indianapolis, Cincinnati, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Atlantic City, Raleigh, Orlando.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2014, 10:52 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,891,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAX-PHX View Post
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Phoenix. Probably one of the most polarizing cities in the country. On these boards it is pretty much universally loathed but to many it is one of the most desirable cities in the country.
yep

Old 05-29-2014, 04:11 AM

9,470 posts, read 10,800,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by columbus finest View Post
Cleveland doesnt recieve much love.... its the most hated city outside of detriot. Im sure you know that...

I think Cleveland gets far less bad publicity than it used too, hasn't that city made a real effort to improve??? Detroit however has the worst reputation of any city in America. Attitudes toward Detroit range from pity to hatred. As far as cities people love, here is my list, Minneapolis, Atlanta, Nashville, Denver and Dallas. There are also those cities that used to have terrible reputations but have begun to rise in popularity again, and those towns are Pittsburg, Baltimore and yes, Cleveland.

Old 05-29-2014, 05:28 AM

10,644 posts, read 16,027,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
As far as cities people love, here is my list, Minneapolis, Atlanta, Nashville, Denver and Dallas.
I agree with the first 4 especially Minneapolis and Denver but Dallas? There are many people who can't stand the place with its tacky skyline and 50k millionaires, just quoting not hating.

Old 05-29-2014, 05:40 AM

23,460 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I think Cleveland gets far less bad publicity than it used too, hasn't that city made a real effort to improve??? Detroit however has the worst reputation of any city in America. Attitudes toward Detroit range from pity to hatred. As far as cities people love, here is my list, Minneapolis, Atlanta, Nashville, Denver and Dallas. There are also those cities that used to have terrible reputations but have begun to rise in popularity again, and those towns are Pittsburg, Baltimore and yes, Cleveland.
Cleveland has indeed been successful in turning its fortunes around since the days when it was called 'The Mistake on the Lake'.

Old 05-29-2014, 10:52 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psurangers11 View Post
Probably depends on your geographic location and what cities are near you and the overall view from the people around you about other cities.... for example:

People who love NYC probably hate Boston and Philly. People who love Boston probably hate NYC... people who love Philly probably hate Pittsburgh... people who love Pittsburgh probably hate Philly.

Geographical "rivalries" you can call it...
maybe in sports but not sure on the whole

Old 05-29-2014, 10:58 AM

8,975 posts, read 10,208,043 times
On this forum: Phoenix, Houston, and Atlanta. ETA: For smaller cities, Jacksonville and Oklahoma City.

In real life: Miami, Detroit, Los Angeles

Though because it's often so easy for one to pin their unhappiness on the city in which they reside or have resided, I daresay every city will have a certain degree of "haters".

Old 05-29-2014, 01:34 PM

9,470 posts, read 10,800,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
I agree with the first 4 especially Minneapolis and Denver but Dallas? There are many people who can't stand the place with its tacky skyline and 50k millionaires, just quoting not hating.

I probably should not have put it there, but so many people move there I guess that is why I added it. I agree it doesn't get nearly as much love as the other 4.

Old 05-30-2014, 01:17 PM

915 posts, read 1,504,984 times
There are a lot of people in SE Michigan/Detroiters who LOVE Detroit. They are gushingly in love with Detroit.

However, Detroit has to hold some sort of record for the number of people who truly hate it because you get outside this region and most people don't like Detroit - at all.

Old 05-30-2014, 02:56 PM

1,424 posts, read 2,487,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Interesting point that I think is accurate. It may have to do with latent racism in the US. Those three cities are very white.
Denver isn't very white. lol. Not compared to Portland or Minneapolis. Around 48% of the population is Hispanic, Black or Asian. That's pretty diverse.

Minneapolis is only around 39% non-white
Seattle is around 34% non-white

I would say that San Francisco isn't a very polarizing city as most people that go there (to visit) tend to love it. Whether its politics is polarizing is another thing. (Btw, San Francisco is a minority-majority city where non-whites make up more than 58% of the population.)

As for cities that tend to very either Love or Hate: Los Angeles. Old white folks from Arizona abhor it (those damn illegals, ha). Peeps from San Francisco and New York, usually don't like it. People I meet from Chicago, tend to love it. Australians and Brits absolutely love it (don't know why.) A lot of people from the East Coast just can't wrap their minds around L.A. enough to hate it or love it, so they just avoid it and head for S.D. instead.

That's another city that receives a lot of love, San Diego. Maybe places that have amazing craft beer get all the love? lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.