Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 03:50 AM

895 posts, read 1,239,938 times

Advertisements

So I found it interesting that someone from back home (Chicago) said the Texas (where I am now) has a poor education system.so I went online (knowing that some of the high schools out here with far lower property taxes have equal rankings on real estate websites) and found that Texas is actually tied for 3rd with a handful of states behind Wisconsin and Iowa for highest high school graduation rate (86%) were Illinois has a graduation rate of 84%. So brings me to the question...what states have the best schooling systems? And what makes it better than another states?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2014, 03:55 AM

45,360 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Education Week: Quality Counts 2014 - State Report Cards

In truth, rankings depend on who's doing them. In some, MD comes in at 1st because of our High School Assessments. In others MA is first.

Old 05-27-2014, 06:21 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,401,948 times
It's going to be hard to make too stringent of a comparison since state requirements for graduation at a high school level vary.

Old 05-27-2014, 08:32 AM

5,521 posts, read 8,767,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
It's going to be hard to make too stringent of a comparison since state requirements for graduation at a high school level vary.

This is so true. It's one reason I support the Common Core. We'll have a common measuring stick of standards to see which states are doing better or worse than others in terms of educating our kids. Grduation requirements can vary all over the place, but a common idea of what kids need to know --and actually do know-- by the end of 12th grade has long been missing. CC will take a few years to implement and there will be kicking and screaming all along the way. There already is. But it is the way to go.

I do like, however, how this site tried to break down education not by one factor, but by several, including, family demographics and school financing, along with just test results. That makes for a more complicated picture, but a truer one.

Old 05-27-2014, 08:52 AM

93,275 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
This is so true. It's one reason I support the Common Core. We'll have a common measuring stick of standards to see which states are doing better or worse than others in terms of educating our kids. Grduation requirements can vary all over the place, but a common idea of what kids need to know --and actually do know-- by the end of 12th grade has long been missing. CC will take a few years to implement and there will be kicking and screaming all along the way. There already is. But it is the way to go.

I do like, however, how this site tried to break down education not by one factor, but by several, including, family demographics and school financing, along with just test results. That makes for a more complicated picture, but a truer one.
Good point, as some just use test scores without consideration for other factors. In NY, they have NYSED Report Cards, which allow for you to see certain information, including achievement by race/ethnicity. So, you can find out specific information that may be relevant to a family in making a decision. District and School Report Card : IRS : P-12 : NYSED

Counties | New York State Education Department Data Site

Old 05-27-2014, 08:54 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,680,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antny12 View Post
So I found it interesting that someone from back home (Chicago) said the Texas (where I am now) has a poor education system.so I went online (knowing that some of the high schools out here with far lower property taxes have equal rankings on real estate websites) and found that Texas is actually tied for 3rd with a handful of states behind Wisconsin and Iowa for highest high school graduation rate (86%) were Illinois has a graduation rate of 84%. So brings me to the question...what states have the best schooling systems? And what makes it better than another states?
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Education Week: Quality Counts 2014 - State Report Cards

In truth, rankings depend on who's doing them. In some, MD comes in at 1st because of our High School Assessments. In others MA is first.
It appears the OP is wrong.

Old 05-27-2014, 01:30 PM

895 posts, read 1,239,938 times
Wrong about what? I'll gladly post the link to the website that I got the information off of when u get homr

Old 05-27-2014, 01:48 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Good to see Colorado up there with the "big kids".

Old 05-27-2014, 06:56 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,615,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antny12 View Post
Graduation rate means little if the students took easy classes.

Old 05-27-2014, 06:59 PM

45,360 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Graduation rate means little if the students took easy classes.
Yes the rates do matter, under both NCLB and RTT.

You guys that always talk about "easy classes" do realize that 1/2 of the population is below average in IQ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.