Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 06:46 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,335,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skihikeclimb View Post
You seem to forget the history with regards to the social construction of whiteness.

Read the early writings of Benjamin Franklin and other notable Americans prior to the 19th century. Many of them regarded Eastern & Southern Europeans as non white. Of course that all changed, as massive waves of eastern europeans came to North America.

The definition of "white" has changed many times in history. History is not confined to the last 50 years. You may be suprised by this, but even in South Africa during apartheid Japanese people were considered "honorary whites".

Racial defintions have, and always do change to fit the cultural norms of the majority.
And one more thing, please spare us the nonsense about what was and was not considered white in the past. You were not alive then and no one from the 1800s is alive now to tell us what Northern Europeans thought of Southern Europeans when it came to racial classification. The best stuff we have is the nonsense that Hitler put out and even he didn't consider Southern and Eastern Europeans to be a separate race. He just considered them inferior. I am so tired of hearing that absurd reasoning. I have one hell of a hard time believing that a pale, brown-haired and brown-eyed person from Germany considered a pale, brown-haired and brown-eyed Italian to be a different race than them back in the 1800s.

Old 05-27-2014, 07:39 PM

47 posts, read 120,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
And one more thing, please spare us the nonsense about what was and was not considered white in the past. You were not alive then and no one from the 1800s is alive now to tell us what Northern Europeans thought of Southern Europeans when it came to racial classification. The best stuff we have is the nonsense that Hitler put out and even he didn't consider Southern and Eastern Europeans to be a separate race. He just considered them inferior. I am so tired of hearing that absurd reasoning. I have one hell of a hard time believing that a pale, brown-haired and brown-eyed person from Germany considered a pale, brown-haired and brown-eyed Italian to be a different race than them back in the 1800s.
A lot of Spaniards have Moorish blood and that is why many are dark or olive skinned and they are considered White. It seems to me that you are just picking and choosing.

Old 05-27-2014, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuckaFree123456 View Post
A lot of Spaniards have Moorish blood and that is why many are dark or olive skinned and they are considered White. It seems to me that you are just picking and choosing.
Moors are also not white. At least, the people who live in North Africa are not white.

Old 05-27-2014, 07:57 PM

728 posts, read 974,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
Moors are also not white. At least, the people who live in North Africa are not white.
The whole premise that OP established is according to who is 'white' to the US census. In that sense, North Africans are certainly white.

I don't think it's accurate, but it is what it is. White Hispanics are of Euro ancestry, so it's not like a great revelation that white people intermarry with white people and have kids who look white. This thread is incredibly biased towards what 'Anglo-Americans' consider 'White'. Try telling a Argentinian that they will be accepted as 'white' someday. Maybe I read this thread wrong.

Will mestizos be considered 'White' someday? No.

Old 05-27-2014, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNative2891 View Post
The whole premise that OP established is according to who is 'white' to the US census. In that sense, North Africans are certainly white.

I don't think it's accurate, but it is what it is. White Hispanics are of Euro ancestry, so it's not like a great revelation that white people intermarry with white people and have kids who look white. This thread is incredibly biased towards what 'Anglo-Americans' consider 'White'. Try telling a Argentinian that they will be accepted as 'white' someday. Maybe I read this thread wrong.

Will mestizos be considered 'White' someday? No.
Oh goodness, you brought up Argentinians. Argentinians are the WORST when it comes to wanting to hide their indigenous ancestry.

PLOS ONE: Heterogeneity in Genetic Admixture across Different Regions of Argentina

Argentina, a country where more than 90% of the people claim to be "European" or "White" has been proven on multiple occasions to be FAR less white than Argentinians are claiming themselves to be.

This particular study done in 2012 shows the genetic make up of Argentinans to only be on average on 65% European. By comparison, similar studies done in Mexico show roughly 45% European admixture. There is great regional differences but the highest European admixture in Argentina is to be found in Buenos Aires and it still only reaches 75%.

The funniest thing is that this study showed indigenous admixture(9%) even in Argentinans who claimed all of their grandparents were born in Europe.

I'm thinking just about every Argentinian has an indigenous great grandmother or two that they are trying desperately to hide in the closet.

Old 05-27-2014, 10:16 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,587,412 times
There is a difference between Caucasian and white. I think people need to understand the difference before bring North Africa into this conversation.

Old 05-27-2014, 10:23 PM

I think if you have more acceptance of latinos into the mainstream, I think the whole concept of black and white will become antiquated. In America white is only seen as European. Indians are Caucasian, but they're not consider white because they're not European. There is no way America is going to split hairs like that. They'll do away with racial categories before they ever get that deep. America is increasingly a more classiest society than it is a racial society. In bug cities the alignment of upper class vs lower class is more than noticeable, and it will be a growing trend in future generations

Old 05-27-2014, 10:23 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,942,476 times
I doubt it. At some point, Hispanic population growth has got to slow down. What if white population growth comes back? Trends can change at any time.

Old 05-27-2014, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I doubt it. At some point, Hispanic population growth has got to slow down. What if white population growth comes back? Trends can change at any time.

Blacks and white are the closest to an indigenous American population, and both have shown pretty solid population decrease in recent decades. There is no reason to believe that this trend will change.

Old 05-27-2014, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Hispanic growth has slowed down considerably in recent years, thought still growing at very fast rates. Its down from about 3% annually to about 2% annually. White population growth won't come back though. Currently the largest generation of white people ever born is about to start dying (baby boomers) and young white people like me, though I want kids some day, are postponing kids because the recession has obliterated our chances at having a career and good jobs. Black growth is down too and much of it today is fueled by immigration actually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.