Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 08:02 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,397,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
Are you kidding me? Please understand I am a Florida native. The thousands of people I met throughout my life who moved to my state solely because of the ****ty northern weather completely disproves your claim. They sure didn't move to Florida because of the economy, as that is one of Florida's weak points.
Uh no, I'm not kidding you. Who cares if you're a Florida native? Most of the growth of those cities slowed or stopped because of post industrial decline and shrinking jobs. Places in ND, IA, and MN are enjoying large growth and low unemployment, and it has absolutely NOTHING to do do with the weather. LA's growth slowed considerably over the years despite its extremely temperate weather. NYC has a population at its all time high, and it's weather is nothing like FL. Most people don't move solely for the weather unless they are thinking about retirement. Normally it has all to do with jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2014, 08:04 PM

895 posts, read 1,239,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
Uh no, I'm not kidding you. Most of the growth of those cities slowed or stopped because of post industrial decline and shrinking jobs. Places in ND, IA, and MN are enjoying large growth and low unemployment, and it has absolutely NOTHING to do do with the weather. LA's growth slowed considerably over the years despite its extremely temperate weather. Most people don't move solely for the weather unless they are thinking about retirement. Normally it has all to do with jobs.
I'm not saying your wrong or right but I will say that a major reason(not the only) we moved from Chicago to Austin was indeed because of the weather. If I had to live through another October to April winter..won't chill under 0...I don't know what id do. Not everyone moves for weather but some indeed do.

Old 05-22-2014, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antny12 View Post
I'm not saying your wrong or right but I will say that a major reason(not the only) we moved from Chicago to Austin was indeed because of the weather. If I had to live through another October to April winter..won't chill under 0...I don't know what id do. Not everyone moves for weather but some indeed do.
Sure, some people do, typically as a larger picture associated with procuring a job. But the reason these once booming major northern cities stopped the massive growth they experienced (hundreds of thousands of people per decade) through about 1950 was not even remotely due to everyone wanting to leave snow. It had to do with post-industrial decline and large amounts of suburban flight, and it's a pretty well-recognized fact:

Deindustrialization - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-22-2014, 09:49 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,333,532 times
Quote:
Uh no, I'm not kidding you. Who cares if you're a Florida native? Most of the growth of those cities slowed or stopped because of post industrial decline and shrinking jobs. Places in ND, IA, and MN are enjoying large growth and low unemployment, and it has absolutely NOTHING to do do with the weather. LA's growth slowed considerably over the years despite its extremely temperate weather. NYC has a population at its all time high, and it's weather is nothing like FL. Most people don't move solely for the weather unless they are thinking about retirement. Normally it has all to do with jobs.
No. Weather does most definitely affect the growth of an area. I can't even tell you how many people I know personally who absolutely reached their wits end with the snow, threw their belongings into their car and moved to Florida to work in restaurants. You could offer me a six figure income but if you tagged it onto the contingency of moving to the midwest I would toss the offer aside in an instant.

I MIGHT be able to handle a northeast winter. The midwest weather is god awful though. One of my best friends just moved to Chicago to be closer to his partner and he had to get his big jackets out again because the weather dipped into the 30s or something. 30s in May is misery. I couldn't imagine living in an area that only has pleasant weather for 3 months of the year.

I know a lot of northerners on this board are proud of where you live and you want to think that the North's decline isn't because of the weather, but your all's weather SUCKS! And most of the Midwests residents would leave in an instant if they had the means to do so.

That, and your taxes also suck.

And the only reason LA slowed down is because of the cost of living there. I'd move to LA in an instant if my finances allowed it.

Old 05-22-2014, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Sure, some people do, typically as a larger picture associated with procuring a job. But the reason these once booming major northern cities stopped the massive growth they experienced (hundreds of thousands of people per decade) through about 1950 was not even remotely due to everyone wanting to leave snow. It had to do with post-industrial decline and large amounts of suburban flight, and it's a pretty well-recognized fact:

Deindustrialization - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The invention and mass production of air conditioning is what made the deep South livable. It was invented in the 20s but houses started being built with it after WWII. This was greatly enticing to the people of the North and that is why people started fleeing the north after WWII.

Old 05-23-2014, 05:25 AM

If you don't think jobs have anything to do with it, then you are clueless.

Old 05-23-2014, 05:54 AM

895 posts, read 1,239,353 times
People moving has to do with a lot of factors...Texas for instance is a hot spot for people to move to these days..it has very mild winters, scenary, just about every type of ecosystem, business friendly, no state income tax, the major cities are booming, col is more affordable then most areas (Cali Q northeast- chicago land), lowwww unemployment, lower crime _(austin-el Paso top lists of big cities and low crime) and more relaxed gun laws. Also family and friends are factors for some. So there are literally hundreds of reasons people move...including both your arguments weather and jobs.

Old 05-23-2014, 07:49 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,182,497 times
Quote:
But Austin doesn't have terrible weather that will hamper its growth. I don't see any of Texas cities slowing down like the north has.

Even after Florida's economy imploded back in 2008 it didn't slow down population growth in the state to levels that the north fell to.
Firstly, Austin's weather isn't "terrible", but pretty bad in my opinion (anytime temps exceed 90 degrees I'd say most people find it uncomfortable, and Austin tops 90 or 100 degrees regularly -- at least 4 months of the year. Winters are decent but can be cool and rainy). Second, it's not the weather that will stop Austin (or any other city for that matter), it's COL vs. QOL, and both are going in the opposite direction the more the city grows uncontrolably (COL is rising FAST in the core especially and the QOL is dropping as Austin -- not even a top 25 city by population -- has top 5 traffic congestion in the country).

Let's ease off Austin's jock just a bit.......it's nice but it's not infallable.

Old 05-23-2014, 07:56 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,182,497 times
Quote:
No. Weather does most definitely affect the growth of an area. I can't even tell you how many people I know personally who absolutely reached their wits end with the snow, threw their belongings into their car and moved to Florida to work in restaurants. You could offer me a six figure income but if you tagged it onto the contingency of moving to the midwest I would toss the offer aside in an instant.

I MIGHT be able to handle a northeast winter. The midwest weather is god awful though. One of my best friends just moved to Chicago to be closer to his partner and he had to get his big jackets out again because the weather dipped into the 30s or something. 30s in May is misery. I couldn't imagine living in an area that only has pleasant weather for 3 months of the year.

I know a lot of northerners on this board are proud of where you live and you want to think that the North's decline isn't because of the weather, but your all's weather SUCKS! And most of the Midwests residents would leave in an instant if they had the means to do so.

That, and your taxes also suck.

And the only reason LA slowed down is because of the cost of living there. I'd move to LA in an instant if my finances allowed it.
No need to be nasty -- you can jock your decisions (or Southern living) all you want but that doesn't make everybody else wrong. I could move to many cities in the South and live like a KING but my preference is to be close to friends and family, ideal culture (for my lifestyle), four seasons, strong economies not based on tax havens or call centers, etc.

By the way, low tax or high tax, we ALL pay the price! I love how people talk about Obamacare as being the impetus for higher insurance premiums. No, actually it's the rising cost of healthcare that's inevitable whether you pay a high premium and low out-of-pocket (analogous to high taxes) or if you pay cash any/every time you visit the doc because you're uninsured or you opt for a cut-rate plan (analogous to low taxes). Services will be needed, it's just a matter of how you pay for them, and whether or not you want to pay a market premium (i.e. "profit") for those services. For school and medicine especially, I personally don't, hence prefer the North's higher-tax ways. Just look to Europe to see where taxes will head once our country becomes more and more established....

Old 05-23-2014, 08:05 AM

You northerners want to believe so badly that weather isn't the reason for your region's demographic demise. You so want this to be the truth because unlike economic factors the weather does not change. The North has always been cold and will always be cold. If it wasn't for tropical diseases like malaria before the invention of A/C and proper medical care the North would never have been populated to begin with. You so want to believe that one day the North will rise again and people will flock there with reinvigorating energy. It WON'T HAPPEN! Stay in whatever denial you wish.

Enjoy your 60 degree weather up there in the Midwest this weekend. I'll be laying by my condo's pool here in Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.