Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 03:27 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,506,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Lots of Catholics in the midwestern states as well, also Colorado and New Mexico, probably Arizona, too.
Here's Catholic % by state:

State by State Percentage of Evangelicals, Catholics, and Black Protestants - Beliefnet.com

Most of the states at the top of the list are in the Northeast, and some of the others are probably near the top of the list from hispanic rather than non-hispanic Catholics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2014, 03:31 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Here's Catholic % by state:

State by State Percentage of Evangelicals, Catholics, and Black Protestants - Beliefnet.com

Most of the states at the top of the list are in the Northeast, and some of the others are probably near the top of the list from hispanic rather than non-hispanic Catholics.
That's certainly the case in New Mexico and probably Arizona. It's mixed in Colorado.

Old 05-23-2014, 04:54 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,003,003 times
Democrats land Catholics have a common enemy: Fundamentalist Conservatives.

Old 05-23-2014, 10:21 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,996,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d-quik View Post
If they are against abortion as Catholics are super traditional, why do CA, NY, NJ, CT, MA, ME, and RI all vote democrat. what causes the split? Is it marijuana or the urbanism? But u can be conservative AND urban. Please explain
You may be mixing up Christians and Catholics (who are a type of Christian). Southerners (living in what are considered conservative states) usually tend to be Protestant, not Catholic, Baptist, for example.

NJ is mostly Catholic (and Jewish I guess), you'll find fewer Protestants here compared to the South. I'm not sure if there is any correlation between conservatism and Catholics/Protestants, but I think maybe you mean to be thinking about Christians and not specifically Catholics.

Old 05-23-2014, 02:11 PM

1,485 posts, read 2,254,559 times
There is a correlation between traditionally-oppressed (obviously some having been more oppressed than others) groups and voting Democrat. The majority of women (regardless of ethnicity), Jews, African-Americans, Hispanics, Asians, Native Americans, and Catholics vote Democrat.

Old 05-23-2014, 02:13 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,815,512 times
Most non-practicing Catholics vote Democrat; those who attend church weekly lean Republican.

Old 05-23-2014, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
One question you could ask is how many of these Catholics identify themselves as Catholics simply because they were raised that way yet don't attend Sunday mass regularly? Often they may show up on the sacred days such as Ash Wednesday, Palm Sunday, or Easter. How many of them don't go to church all year long and then show up at Midnight Mass on Christmas Eve?
I once knew a priest who said that many of the people in his old Brooklyn neighborhood were only likely to go to church when they were "hatched, matched, and dispatched". That was back in the 1980s.

Old 05-23-2014, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
This is true-most especially with The Jesuits. I went to Jesuit High School and the mantra was always to question everything. It definitely stuck with me hah.
By coincidence, the Jesuits have been in a mess for many years. Fortunately, Pope Francis is one of the uncorrupted ones.

Old 05-23-2014, 10:57 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,129,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d-quik View Post
If they are against abortion as Catholics are super traditional, why do CA, NY, NJ, CT, MA, ME, and RI all vote democrat. what causes the split? Is it marijuana or the urbanism? But u can be conservative AND urban. Please explain
"Catholic", like "Jewish", has become a largely cultural identification. Most orthodox Catholics, who are committed to the teachings of the church, tend to vote Republican. Examining the statistics, a rise in Republican voters is apparent when comparing those who attend Mass regularly with those who attend Mass irregularly (considered a serious sin in the Catholic Church).

On the other hand, you have a majority of Catholics (especially younger Catholics) who attend church only on Christmas and don't know or don't care what the Church teaches. They are Catholic in name only, pretty much. Maybe a funeral will stir their spirit once in a while, but then it's back to a very worldly existence. With this type of Catholics, religious affiliation and voting habits are mostly unrelated.

Old 05-24-2014, 03:45 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,940,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
By coincidence, the Jesuits have been in a mess for many years. Fortunately, Pope Francis is one of the uncorrupted ones.
Although I don't support the Catholic Church anymore I do like Pope Francis-a breath of fresh air in the world of organized religion.

I also agree that being Catholic is more of a cultural thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.