Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2014, 03:49 PM

2,233 posts, read 3,164,553 times

Advertisements

A significant portion of the Great Plains was populated by agrarian German Catholics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2014, 04:20 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,335,752 times
Louisville, KY has a lot of them as well.

Honestly I think America has a lot of German Catholics. Germany itself is more Protesant leaning I know, like 66-33% but America must be at least equal there.

Old 05-18-2014, 11:26 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Lots of ideas about pockets of Catholic Germans but I don't know of any state where the immigration/settlement patterns of same have so heavily influenced the culture of the entire state like it has in Wisconsin.

Old 05-19-2014, 09:26 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,984,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
Louisville, KY has a lot of them as well.
Prior to WW I there was a large German-speaking Catholic community (of mixed southern German and Swiss heritage) in Louisville centered on Bardstown Road, complete with German language newspapers in addition to churches and businesses. My mother's grandfather came to Louisville around 1850 and opened a beer garden. When that didn't work out, he switched to running a dairy. The farm, complete with the original log cabin my great grandfather built when he first arrived, was still in the family until about 20 years ago. I cried and cried when we had to let it go.

The onset of anti-German sentiment at the start of WW I was the beginning of the end for that community. My grandfather grew up speaking German at home, but had to give up speaking it in public during the war years for safety's sake, and by the time I was born he'd all but forgotten it. (He remembered how to yodel, though!)

Old 05-20-2014, 08:17 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
There are many Catholic Germans (and Czechs) in central Texas.

http://sophienburg.com/blog/?p=2231

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westphalia,_Texas

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 05-20-2014 at 08:28 AM..

Old 05-20-2014, 08:39 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OuttaTheLouBurbs View Post
German Catholics were likely most prevalent in the big Catholic cities of the Midwest, such Milwaukee, Chicago, St. Louis, Cincinnati, etc. Coastal cities like NYC, Baltimore, or Boston likely saw a high concentration as well.
From what I've heard, and from people I talked to, the German population of the NYC area was more Lutheran than Catholic. There must have been some Catholics though:

The Germans Came - Now They Are Us - An Ethnic Queens Neighborhood Is Melting Away Into America - NYTimes.com

Old 05-20-2014, 09:09 AM

32,095 posts, read 34,702,478 times
One question is why German settlement tends to be so much heavier in the Midwest (PA excluded). The Chicago MSA has more Germans than the NYC MSA despite being about half the size.

Old 05-20-2014, 09:21 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
I know part of the reason is the coastal Northeastern cities attracted immigrants who couldn't afford to go further west nor buy any land for farming. Being the first destination for immigrants meant they had a labor glut (wages declined in NYC at the end of the 19th century even though the city got wealthier). So those with means might be encouraged to go elsewhere. Western cities, such as San Francisco, were in the opposite situation. Compared to the Irish, Italians or Eastern European Jews, Germans were on average a bit better off. Also, since more Germans came to farm, and the best farmland opening up in the 19th century was in the Midwest, when the Midwest urbanized, more of those flocking to the cities from rural areas were German. New England had few farming areas for settlers to move to, though oddly the farming areas in western Massachusetts are heavily Polish.

I wonder if the Germans moving to the Chicago area came more from Germany directly or from rural Midwest to Chicago.

Old 05-20-2014, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Prior to WW I there was a large German-speaking Catholic community (of mixed southern German and Swiss heritage) in Louisville centered on Bardstown Road, complete with German language newspapers in addition to churches and businesses. My mother's grandfather came to Louisville around 1850 and opened a beer garden. When that didn't work out, he switched to running a dairy. The farm, complete with the original log cabin my great grandfather built when he first arrived, was still in the family until about 20 years ago. I cried and cried when we had to let it go.

The onset of anti-German sentiment at the start of WW I was the beginning of the end for that community. My grandfather grew up speaking German at home, but had to give up speaking it in public during the war years for safety's sake, and by the time I was born he'd all but forgotten it. (He remembered how to yodel, though!)
I am also descended from German-Catholics that immigrated to the Louisville area around the year 1850. I only recently found out they were catholic actually. I learned from my grandmother who divorced from that side of my family decades ago. From the stories my family tells their religion was beer and cigars. Lol.

WW1 must have been a hard time for the community. It is so funny but also so sad tracing my ancestors through the censuses with them all saying their parents were born in Germany and then in the 1920 census all of them state their parents were born in America. Trying to hide from discrimination no doubt.

Old 05-20-2014, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
From what I've heard, and from people I talked to, the German population of the NYC area was more Lutheran than Catholic. There must have been some Catholics though:

The Germans Came - Now They Are Us - An Ethnic Queens Neighborhood Is Melting Away Into America - NYTimes.com
My fathers family is Catholic and from NYC. They are Czech and German. The Catholicism could come from the Czech side or both sides. We don't speak to each other so not sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.