Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2014, 01:47 PM

4 posts, read 3,641 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I'm trying to narrow down the best places to look into to move and raise our family. We LOVE nature!! So trees are a must. Low crime, good schools, outdoor activities and all 4 seasons. If there is a place by the water that would be a wonderful bonus! My husband is a software engineer so a tech area within a 30 min drive is a must. I'd really like a beautiful town with farmers markets and areas to raise horses.

Thank you for your advice!

So basically:
- farmers markets
- tech town
- water nearby
- low crime
- good schools
- outdoor activities
- all four seasons
- places to have a horse

Side note: We love Bend, Oregon. The only problem we have found is that my husband can't easily find a job there because tech jobs aren't easy to come by in Bend. Other then that it meets all our standards!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2014, 01:54 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,032,817 times
Just drive over the mountains from Bend to Portland. My employer needs software engineers right now.

Old 05-13-2014, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
Just drive over the mountains from Bend to Portland. My employer needs software engineers right now.
We've actually thought about Portland! What company, maybe my hubby can apply? And is there really as much rain as everyone claims?

Old 05-13-2014, 06:27 PM

57 posts, read 68,552 times
I'm a software engineer and I work remotely, just like lots of colleagues. In that case, it doesn't at all matter where I live, in terms of jobs. I know that not all companies allow that but maybe he can/should search for that?

Old 05-13-2014, 06:49 PM

93,793 posts, read 124,527,296 times
Maybe some areas near the Great Lakes could work. Are you looking for a city/town of a certain size?

Old 05-13-2014, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Maybe some areas near the Great Lakes could work. Are you looking for a city/town of a certain size?
No certain size really. Prob more medium sized I suppose. Not to big or to small. I forgot to mention family oriented community.

Old 05-13-2014, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcacciola View Post
I'm a software engineer and I work remotely, just like lots of colleagues. In that case, it doesn't at all matter where I live, in terms of jobs. I know that not all companies allow that but maybe he can/should search for that?
We would love for him to work from home, it's just a matter of finding the right job to do so. Are they easy to find?

Old 05-14-2014, 08:28 AM

93,793 posts, read 124,527,296 times
You may like an area like this: Visit Ithaca, NY - Official Site for Ithaca, NY & Tompkins County

I would probably look into a community like this outside of the city: Trumansburg Area Chamber of Commerce

Old 05-14-2014, 01:12 PM

57 posts, read 68,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacelovemama View Post
We would love for him to work from home, it's just a matter of finding the right job to do so. Are they easy to find?
I suppose no job is easy to find

Besides just looking as usual on job boards but searching specifically for "telecommuting" positions, he could start out doing "junior-type stuff" on places like the following, if you can afford the "investment".

Hire Freelancers & Find Freelance Jobs Online - Freelancer.com
https://www.odesk.com/
https://www.elance.com/
Find Jobs and Hire skilled Freelancers, at a click - PeoplePerHour.com

Then if he does a great job, he might end up fully hired remotedly by some of the companies in there.

In any case, feel free to PM me, just in case he happen to match the skills and experience we typical seek.

Old 05-14-2014, 03:04 PM

98 posts, read 208,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacelovemama View Post
Hi,
I'm trying to narrow down the best places to look into to move and raise our family. We LOVE nature!! So trees are a must. Low crime, good schools, outdoor activities and all 4 seasons. If there is a place by the water that would be a wonderful bonus! My husband is a software engineer so a tech area within a 30 min drive is a must. I'd really like a beautiful town with farmers markets and areas to raise horses.

Thank you for your advice!

So basically:
- farmers markets
- tech town
- water nearby
- low crime
- good schools
- outdoor activities
- all four seasons
- places to have a horse
Greater Cleveland meets all of your requirements. Your DH could work at NASA or one off the companies which supports NASA, or within the Cleveland Clinic/University Hospitals medical community. There are farmers markets within and surrounding Cleveland. All 4 seasons. On the southern shore of Lake Erie. Plenty of outdoor activities. Crime rate and schools depends on which suburb you choose. Several places to raise/board a horse in the inner-ring suburbs and more slightly further away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.