Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2014, 02:35 PM

1,980 posts, read 3,786,482 times

Advertisements

Where are the "media centers" located in the major US metro areas? For the sake of this discussion, I am calling a "media center" the place where the local TV affiliates are predominately clustered.

In Seattle the media is concentrated predominately SW of Lake Union. All the major network affiliates and the PBS affiliate are located in the neighborhood.

In the Philadelphia area, the media center is currently located around City Ave. in Bala Cynwyd.

The Detroit area's media center is the suburb of Southfield.

Where are the media centers in other metro areas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2014, 03:06 PM

908 posts, read 1,426,182 times
Typically, regardless of the metro area, the "media centers" are in higher elevation parts of the area so that they can reach more of the area over the air with fewer transmission towers.

Old 05-04-2014, 03:49 PM

14,203 posts, read 22,857,692 times
In Pittsburgh, most of the radio transmitters are located either on Mount Washington across the Monongahela River from downtown Pittsburgh, or north of the city near I-279 and McKnight Road. The TV studios are scattered, with WPXI (NBC) and WPGH (FOX) north of the city near I-279 and McKnight Road, WTAE (ABC) east of the city near I-376 and Ardmore Boulevard, and KDKA (CBS) in Gateway Center downtown. Radio stations owned by Clear Channel have their studios in a midrise office tower on top of Green Tree Hill right next to I-376.

In Atlanta, most of the radio transmitters are located near the Fulton/DeKalb County line just south of I-85, not far from Emory University. I don't know where the local TV studios are, but I do know that CNN Center is in downtown Atlanta between Centennial Olympic Park and Philips Arena. Radio stations owned by Cumulus Media have their studios in the vicinity of the Glenridge Connector near the junction of I-285 and GA 400.

Old 05-04-2014, 03:51 PM

22,378 posts, read 39,084,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Where are the "media centers" located in the major US metro areas? For the sake of this discussion, I am calling a "media center" the place where the local TV affiliates are predominately clustered.

In Seattle the media is concentrated predominately SW of Lake Union. All the major network affiliates and the PBS affiliate are located in the neighborhood.

In the Philadelphia area, the media center is currently located around City Ave. in Bala Cynwyd.

The Detroit area's media center is the suburb of Southfield.

Where are the media centers in other metro areas?
Maybe 10 years ago - a few radio stations and one remaining tv station the others are DT again (or moving there)

Actually on a major media center to be in the CTIC including the NBC (Comcast owner) affiliate and Telemundo

In the last 5 years more than a half dozen radio stations moved from Bala to CC again

There is still a few Philly radio station in Trenton (oddly part of the NYC CSA)

Old 05-04-2014, 04:10 PM

1,980 posts, read 3,786,482 times
This thread is about where the media activity epicenters are, not where the transmitter towers are located.

Old 05-04-2014, 08:10 PM

13,704 posts, read 22,023,612 times
In Atlanta, most of the local stations are based in Midtown. WSB (ABC) is on West Peachtree Street near Pershing Point; WXIA (NBC) and WATL (MyTV) are on Monroe Drive; WGCL (CBS), WPCH (the original WTBS) and GPTV (PBS) are on 14th Street.

WAGA (Fox) is on Briarcliff Road in unincorporated DeKalb County, not far from Emory University. WUPA (CW) is on the I-85 North access road in unincorporated DeKalb County. All the other local stations are scattered around the suburbs.

Turner Broadcasting's entertainment networks (TBS, TNT, TCM, Tru TV, Cartoon Network, Boomerang, Adult Swim) are also based in Midtown, on 10th Street overlooking the Downtown Connector. Turner's news networks (CNN, HLN, CNN International, CNN.com) are based at CNN Center adjacent to Centennial Park downtown.

The Weather Channel is based in unincorporated Cobb County near Cumberland-Galleria.

Old 05-05-2014, 07:55 AM

1,819 posts, read 1,986,649 times
For Washington, DC in general for local news, upper Northwest, roughly centering around the Tenleytown station and especially on or near Wisconsin Avenue. In addition to some TV towers typical of this highest elevation of the city, all five major local news stations are in this general area: WTTG (FOX) near Friendship Heights, WJLA (ABC) about five blocks down Wisconsin Avenue, WUSA (CBS) almost a mile down Wisconsin, and then WTOP, the all-news radio station several blocks further down. WRC (NBC) is not too far away from WUSA on Nebraska avenue. There are other networks scattered through the metro though: WETA (PBS) in Arlington, BET television in Brentwood (Northeast), C-SPAN in Capitol Hill, and NPR just north of Union Station.

In Baltimore, three of the four major TV affiliates (CBS, NBC, FOX) are located in the Woodberry neighborhood (just across I-83 from Hampden) that is the highest elevation in the city. The transmission towers are also located there. The FOX affiliate also shares the same building with the CW affiliate. A couple radio stations are also based there.

NYC is obviously Midtown and adjacent areas, especially along Avenue of the Americas between 47th and 53rd where you'll fin FOX, NBC, and CBS along or nearby, with the New York Post located there and the Paley Center. Smaller clusters include around Lincoln Center (WABC-TV) and Times Square (ABC's Good Morning America, NYT, MTV).

Old 05-05-2014, 01:58 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,195,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borntoolate85 View Post
For Washington, DC in general for local news, upper Northwest, roughly centering around the Tenleytown station and especially on or near Wisconsin Avenue. In addition to some TV towers typical of this highest elevation of the city, all five major local news stations are in this general area: WTTG (FOX) near Friendship Heights, WJLA (ABC) about five blocks down Wisconsin Avenue, WUSA (CBS) almost a mile down Wisconsin, and then WTOP, the all-news radio station several blocks further down. WRC (NBC) is not too far away from WUSA on Nebraska avenue. There are other networks scattered through the metro though: WETA (PBS) in Arlington, BET television in Brentwood (Northeast), C-SPAN in Capitol Hill, and NPR just north of Union Station.

In Baltimore, three of the four major TV affiliates (CBS, NBC, FOX) are located in the Woodberry neighborhood (just across I-83 from Hampden) that is the highest elevation in the city. The transmission towers are also located there. The FOX affiliate also shares the same building with the CW affiliate. A couple radio stations are also based there.

NYC is obviously Midtown and adjacent areas, especially along Avenue of the Americas between 47th and 53rd where you'll fin FOX, NBC, and CBS along or nearby, with the New York Post located there and the Paley Center. Smaller clusters include around Lincoln Center (WABC-TV) and Times Square (ABC's Good Morning America, NYT, MTV).
WJLA moved from Van Ness to a hi-rise in Rosslyn a few years back.

Old 05-06-2014, 09:37 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,293,631 times
In Chicago they all have the street-side studios with glass windows onto Daley Plaza, State Street and Michigan Ave.

Old 05-06-2014, 10:05 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,112,485 times
The Twin Cities don't really have a media center; most of the region's television stations are scattered across the metro.

WCCO (CBS) is on Nicollet Mall in downtown Minneapolis, KSTP (ABC), TPT (PBS), and WUCW (The CW) are all in St. Paul, KARE (NBC) is in Golden Valley, KMSP (FOX) and WFTC (MyNetworkTV) are both in Eden Prairie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.