Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2014, 02:26 PM

5 posts, read 8,144 times

Advertisements

So I didn't know where else to turn and decided to post here.

My family came to the US from Trinidad but racially I am Indian. Three years ago I met my girlfriend who is of Scandinavian heritage. She is a White female with blonde hair, blue eyes, and pale skin. I am a brown male with black hair, dark brown eyes, and a skin color similar to that of Sanjay Gupta's.

She is the kind of girl that was sought after by a few guys but she came to me, we met through dance class. I have been told I am good looking a few times and she constantly gets hit on. Then some of these guys hitting on her see her with me and end up getting that shocked kind of look on their faces.

We are in Florida and our lives have been made hell by society here for our relationship. What is even more surprising is that some of the racism has come from Black men too. The part of Florida we live in mostly Black and White.

One time we were eating at a restaurant talking about things and one Black guy came up to our table and tried to hit on her. She ignored him. The guy just got up and said "oh okay so you wanna be with this terrorist lookalike but not give a brotha chance, b*tch f*ck you". He got up and left in frustration.

Now I know it isn't too common anywhere in the world to see a man of my background with an attractive White female but I know not everywhere people give this sort of a bad reception.

Is the reception this bad everywhere or what? I need some recommendations on places to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2014, 05:34 PM

733 posts, read 940,028 times
I hear interracial couples are quite commonplace in NYC, shouldn't be that odd in LA.

Oh and where in Florida?

Old 04-26-2014, 05:38 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,212,799 times
Yeah, you don't want to deal with that. But I would also like to know where in FL? I can't imagine it is the Miami area based on how you are describing it. Sounds more like North Florida to me. And in Miami I'm sure you wouldn't be the only Trinidadian of Indian descent and she definitely wouldn't be the only Scandinavian, so I'm sure that you wouldn't be the only interracial couple of that particular mix. I'd also say NYC. Really any major city.. LA, Bay Area, Chicago... but Miami would have been my first suggestion as I do believe it gets good numbers of people from not only Trinidad but also Scandinavia.

Old 04-26-2014, 05:46 PM

Well it is more towards central Florida and the town is a good mix of Black and White people. I will say that it is not so well off financially though, the White population here is generally more redneck in many ways (no offense). Can't say things being too good for us in Miami, heard the Latino population there is racist towards people with a darker skin tone.

Anyone know of a place where a couple like my girlfriend and I might actually be somewhat common? (brown male with white female) I am thinking if such a place exists then chances are that people won't care at all for it and be very accepting of it.

I hear in Seattle it is somewhat common and San Francisco as well.

Old 04-26-2014, 05:48 PM

23,535 posts, read 24,029,400 times
Go west, my friend. Los Angeles, SF Bay Area, Honolulu or Seattle. Much more progressive attitudes towards multi-racial couples and LGBT couples.

Old 04-26-2014, 05:50 PM

Something else I wanted to throw out to people, Florida is surprisingly a really racist place to be in. You wouldn't think of it but North Florida is in every single way like other states in the South. The only places in Florida where racism is hardly an issue are tourist areas like Key West and Orlando but the rest of Florida is really backwards.

Look up "Taylor Chapman", one young White female went into a Dunkin Donuts and started shouting racial slurs at the Indians that worked there. Young women like her are very common in Florida, don't even know what it is about this state but that is just how it is here. Interracial couples (particularly foreign looking men with White women) are not that common and there is a very powerful White nationalist movement in some parts of the state. People don't think this when they think about Florida but it is a very racist place to be in.

Outside of the racism there are many other things wrong with this place that I cannot wait to move.

Areas I am interested in are:

Washington DC
Maryland
Anywhere in New England really
The Upper Midwest (particularly Wisconsin)
Colorado
The Northwest
Austin, TX
Southern California

Are there any areas on the list I should cross out immediately?

Old 04-26-2014, 07:31 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
This again? Auburn and Elmira in Upstate NY are interracial friendly. Seriously.......

Old 04-26-2014, 07:43 PM

2,436 posts, read 2,794,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NormChowwasgoodcoach View Post
Something else I wanted to throw out to people, Florida is surprisingly a really racist place to be in. You wouldn't think of it but North Florida is in every single way like other states in the South.
I'm not surprised at all, actually. Florida was a Confederate state. I've been hearing about racism in Florida a lot recently.

I'd head to the Western states. We're very open to interracial relationships here in Los Angeles.

Old 04-26-2014, 07:43 PM

447 posts, read 496,166 times
I live in Kalamazoo, MI and it is common here.
My wife and I are different races and we have never felt uncomfortable. In fact our next door neighbors on our left are interracial and on the right, are gay.

I cannot believe that this is an issue anywhere in the US anymore, outside of some of the Southern and Plains States.

Old 04-27-2014, 06:23 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NormChowwasgoodcoach View Post

Areas I am interested in are:

Washington DC
Maryland
Anywhere in New England really
The Upper Midwest (particularly Wisconsin)
Colorado
The Northwest
Austin, TX
Southern California

Are there any areas on the list I should cross out immediately?
Given that you're probably going to need to readily secure some decent employment options I would point you
toward the DC Metro area first. The DC economy has remained quite strong even throughout the worst of the recent years economic downturn and most of the city has a very visible presence of interracial relationships. DC proper or the Maryland suburbs in particular would be the best option. Check out DC neighborhoods like Bloomingdale, Brookland (NE) or Brightwood, or for a more urban lifestyle in terms of conveniences check out Silver Spring which is in Maryland on the DC border.

Brightwood: DC’s Northern Neighborhood on the Cusp
Bloomingdale: Where (Almost) Everyone Knows Your Name
Brookland: New Development Could Shake Up Pastoral Peace
Downtown Silver Spring: Experiencing a Resurgence After a Bumpy History
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.