Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 07:05 PM

9,192 posts, read 13,296,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarraLynnFrench View Post
Hello all!

We would love to move to the New England area, but I'm looking for an area with a mild winter. I understand that any place in the northeast gets a full blown winter, but we are looking for a compromise. My husband is from upstate NY, but those winters are too harsh/long for me. I would also like a hotter summer (if possible). We love the fall foliage, and the summers up there are nice too - it's just the long, brutal winters that I'm not interested in.

I'm from the midwest, so it's not like I can't take the cold and am looking for a southern climate. We're in Marlyand now.

Any thoughts on an area with the "best" fall and summer but mildest winter?

Thanks so much!
Southern New England near the coast is the warmest part of New England, especially I think Rhode Island and southeast Massachusetts. Problem is that this area is not exactly warm or much cheaper then Maryland and is the furthest from the best ski resorts.

According to the below list of Eastern Ski resorts (everything from Maine to North Carolina but does not include inland areas like Ohio), Rhode Island has one ski resort. And I am sure it is nothing to write home about.

So what about somewhere in Pennsylvania? Look at how many ski areas are in Pennsylvania. And Pennsylvania is cheaper then many other Northeast states.

All Eastern US Ski and Snowboard resorts

http://mountainvertical.com/best-ski...ding-pa-ny.php (Best Ski Resorts in Pennsylvania, New York, NJ)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2014, 07:39 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,996,133 times
I would choose Connecticut. You get 6 months of no-jacket weather. And the snow really wasn't that bad this year, except for one storm. There was a 40-day period of time from late Feb to late March where we had NO snow whatsoever this year. However, this winter was COLD. It was like a high of 20's almost every day and March highs were in the 30's at best. It is now April 23rd and things are just starting to bloom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.