Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 04:11 AM

4,647 posts, read 8,600,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HermioneGranger View Post
When I searched this question, I got a lot of answers about diverse cities, but diversity isn't really the same as integration. I am wondering in which cities do people of all races live next to each other and work togther the most? I'm trying to find cities with lots of neighborhoods where black, white, asian ect live in harmony. I know that no city is problem free and there's always going to be racist people.. but some cities have less problems than others. Thank you.
This is a flawed logic.

What you're looking for is a tolerant area which can't be measured by integration or diversity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2014, 01:32 PM

4 posts, read 7,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
This is a flawed logic.

What you're looking for is a tolerant area which can't be measured by integration or diversity.
No..I'm looking for inegration...When I think tolerant, I think basic acceptance. Just because you accept other races doesn't mean you would want to live next to them or have your kids go to school with other races..I'd rather find cities where I'm more than just tolerated. Lots of people are tolerant, all that means to me is that you won't go out of your way to make me uncomfterable, thats not the same as being welcoming and friendly to all and forming relationships with other races.

Old 04-07-2014, 01:11 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,974,215 times
I find it easier living in urban cities with a good block by block mixture.

When you have a well established city with hard core segregation lines drawn, you've got a hot mess especially dealing with natives.

A diverse professional class is also a good indicator. If people work together and live together you have more racial harmony overall.

Here in Chicago, the black and white professional class rarely meet. With the exception of Hyde Park, Oak Park and a few other areas Chicago whites are not exposed to blacks who are living well.

A good example of integrated city would be Charlotte NC. A segregated city is Chicago.

Last edited by mjtinmemphis; 04-07-2014 at 01:19 AM..

Old 04-07-2014, 01:56 PM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Sacramento comes to mind. I'd say that major college towns generally work as well.

Old 04-07-2014, 02:21 PM

261 posts, read 418,260 times
Austin is pretty well integrated. I live in working middle class South Austin 78745, I go to the grocery store and I see Hispanics, blacks, whites, and Asians. It seems to be that way all over Austin. Even in Far NW Austin, you see all races and ethnic groups. There doesn't seem to be any strictly white or black or Hispanic area of town.

Old 04-07-2014, 02:37 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,998,067 times
Houston

Old 04-07-2014, 03:03 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,600,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HermioneGranger View Post
No..I'm looking for inegration...When I think tolerant, I think basic acceptance. Just because you accept other races doesn't mean you would want to live next to them or have your kids go to school with other races..I'd rather find cities where I'm more than just tolerated. Lots of people are tolerant, all that means to me is that you won't go out of your way to make me uncomfterable, thats not the same as being welcoming and friendly to all and forming relationships with other races.
Then what you're looking for is a friendly area. In my experience, just because an area is more integrated doesn't exactly correlate to being more friendly to all races. Likewise, just because an area is segregated doesn't necessarily mean people are any less friendly to each other.

In modern times, segregation is based more on income which in it of itself is not evenly distributed among all races because of historical racism. Places with higher incomes are more likely to have Asian and White residents while places with lower incomes are more Hispanic and Black. Even in integrated areas, this still tends to be the case and you don't really see too many social circles cross over income levels except through workplace relationships.

I guess I look at it from the stand point that if people are generally friendly, sincere, and progressive, they're not going to care what race you are which means just finding someplace friendly regardless of how much integration or diversity there is.

Old 04-09-2014, 03:12 AM

1,077 posts, read 1,396,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
Then what you're looking for is a friendly area. In my experience, just because an area is more integrated doesn't exactly correlate to being more friendly to all races. Likewise, just because an area is segregated doesn't necessarily mean people are any less friendly to each other.

In modern times, segregation is based more on income which in it of itself is not evenly distributed among all races because of historical racism. Places with higher incomes are more likely to have Asian and White residents while places with lower incomes are more Hispanic and Black. Even in integrated areas, this still tends to be the case and you don't really see too many social circles cross over income levels except through workplace relationships.

I guess I look at it from the stand point that if people are generally friendly, sincere, and progressive, they're not going to care what race you are which means just finding someplace friendly regardless of how much integration or diversity there is.

You're correct and here's an example:

While the New Orleans area is more segregated than the Atlanta area today, due to New Orleans being historically the least segregated large American city and Atlanta historically the most segregated large Southern city, people of different races still mix more freely in New Orleans than in Atlanta.

Last edited by Aceter; 04-09-2014 at 03:21 AM..

Old 04-09-2014, 03:35 PM

657 posts, read 802,619 times
Awkward moment whern the south is now the most integrated region. The region that has the reputation for being the most racist.

Old 04-10-2014, 08:37 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,136,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceter View Post
You're correct and here's an example:

While the New Orleans area is more segregated than the Atlanta area today, due to New Orleans being historically the least segregated large American city and Atlanta historically the most segregated large Southern city, people of different races still mix more freely in New Orleans than in Atlanta.
How was Atlanta the most segregated large southern city historically?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.