Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 05:19 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by :-D View Post
According to the map, don't live where it isn't white.

Note: I do believe Oregon and Washington are doing ok though. Then again, I'm from Arizona so what do I know.
Not because of climate change because it's going to happen anyway but Oregon and Washington are going to be looking forward to the "Big One" withing the next 50 years. Maybe climate change will have an influence, who knows?

'Big One' is due, quake experts say | MailTribune.com

Oregon Next Big Earthquake | Cascadia Fault | LiveScience
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2014, 11:29 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,811,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Not because of climate change because it's going to happen anyway but Oregon and Washington are going to be looking forward to the "Big One" withing the next 50 years. Maybe climate change will have an influence, who knows?

'Big One' is due, quake experts say | MailTribune.com

Oregon Next Big Earthquake | Cascadia Fault | LiveScience
I was only talking about the drought issue. Coastal Oregon and Washington both get a ton of rain so it's hard to believe they are in a "drought".

Interesting topic on the earthquake. I believe I was watching a TV show a couple weeks ago that was talking about an earthquake impacting the Puget Sound area. While the idea is circulating, I don't think it's getting widespread enough.

I noticed you are from Oregon. Has Portland been trying to prepare for such an earthquake?

Old 02-22-2014, 10:19 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times
Quote:
According to the map, don't live where it isn't white.
Yeah, it's a funny thing about humid parts of the country, they usually have enough water to drink.

Old 02-22-2014, 08:52 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
Quote:
I was only talking about the drought issue. Coastal Oregon and Washington both get a ton of rain so it's hard to believe they are in a "drought".

Interesting topic on the earthquake. I believe I was watching a TV show a couple weeks ago that was talking about an earthquake impacting the Puget Sound area. While the idea is circulating, I don't think it's getting widespread enough.

I noticed you are from Oregon. Has Portland been trying to prepare for such an earthquake?
I know you were just referring to the drought, but interestingly enough, we have had a very dry year up until this last unusual winter storm. Our fall and winter up until just a couple of weeks ago were unusually devoid of rain. We even had a forest fire in January which is unusual since this is normally our wet season.

Crews continue to battle Ore. coast wildfires | kgw.com Portland

As far as Portland being prepared for “The Big One” well, that all depends upon who you talk to.

Susan Nielsen: Not ready for the Big One? You're lame but not alone | OregonLive.com

The 'Big One': Is Oregon quake-ready? | kgw.com Portland

http://www.portlandmercury.com/Blogt...or-the-big-one

Old 02-22-2014, 09:02 PM

188 posts, read 376,268 times
Best places to live from a climate change perspective are east coast cities that are decently far from the coast like Pittsburgh, Richmond or Atlanta; Great Lake cities like Cleveland, Detroit, Chicago; or river cities far from the coast like St. Louis, Kansas City, or Nashville.

Terrible Places to Live (from a climate change perspective):

Cities that will be heavily damaged or erased by sea level rise:
1) Miami
2) New Orleans
3) Charleston
4) Boston
5) New York City

Cities that are running out of water:
1) Pheonix
2) Los Angeles
3) San Francisco
4) Las Vegas
5) San Diego

The above cities are ones that, although they may be prosperous now, may not be viable in the long term. In particular, we know that southern florida is already doomed. There is absolutely no reason whatsoever to put one more dime of investment into that part of the country.

Old 02-22-2014, 10:00 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,744,007 times
Even without climate change, New Orleans was a bad location from the start. South Florida too.

Old 02-23-2014, 07:28 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,829,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
There is no climate change except in the minds of politicians trying to benefit financially.
please, someone (ANYONE!!!!!!), tell me we have at the very least, have reached the point where we can give the climate deniers not only the irrelevancy they richly deserve, but the irrelevancy that deniers of gravity, round earth,earth revolves around sun, and evolution have already achieved (ok, i realize putting evolution on the list would have makes it a stretch because, sure, cavemen had dinosaurs for pets, but i couldn't help myself)

if they weren't so irrelevant i'd love to ask the climate deniers: what exactly would it take for you to believe that the climate is changing? would a couple -20° days in Miami in July do the trick? probably not.

Old 02-23-2014, 07:38 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,829,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
There were hurricanes in Florida and Louisiana 500 years ago.

In 1999, Al Gore told the world global warming would melt both polar ice caps within 15 years. Well 15 years have past and the Great Lakes are freezing over and the polar ice is thickening.
weather this winter globally has been warmer than ever. while the east coast and midwest shiver, California is way too sunny and hot and incredibly dry. it's summer in australia now….they're burning up. ram, it might help if you used something other than looking out your widow or feeling frost bite when you open your door to reach your conclusions. you may even want to check the dictionary for the distinction between "climate" and "weather" (note: it's a book that lists words and their definitions; you can even find them on line)

what part of "global warming" not meaning that everything is heating up at the same time don't you get? how much is "global warning" a misnomer because what is happening to the climate deals a lot more than rising temperatures. just call it "man made climate change" and the idiocy has less room to ferment.

news: global "warming" causes the jet stream to dip further south with colder temperatures producing lots of snow, snow, like rain, which is generated, in part, from the evaporation caused by rising temperatures.

i hate finding myself quoting dick cheney here, but he did once famously say "if there was even a 1 percent chance of terrorists getting a weapon of mass destruction — and there has been a small probability of such an occurrence for some time — the United States must now act as if it were a certainty."

i don't know, ram: wouldn't you say there is at least 1% chance that man is altering the climate?

Old 02-23-2014, 01:38 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,811,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Yeah, it's a funny thing about humid parts of the country, they usually have enough water to drink.
You're telling me

Old 02-24-2014, 08:20 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,615,377 times
Quote:

Build a major city in the middle of the desert (Phoenix, Vegas, etc), drain the local water supply so residents can water their yards, and then blame climate change for the lack of water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.