Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 11:25 AM

21 posts, read 54,553 times

Advertisements

Right now I live in Seattle, which I love, except for two things . . .

1. No snow! I miss having snowy winters. I miss it a lot.

2. Crazy real estate prices. I'm saving up so I can buy a home eventually, but in all honesty I don't think I will ever be able to afford the "average" or even "below average" home prices in Seattle.

Now I'm wondering if I should move (eventually)? What are some liberal cities that have snow and cheaper housing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2014, 11:41 AM

32,636 posts, read 47,995,345 times
Try Detroit. They have snow, houses for $1,000, and everybody is living on welfare. You can't get any more liberal than that.

Old 02-14-2014, 11:48 AM

Please don't post if you don't have anything useful to say.

If you posted that you were looking for a conservative city I wouldn't come in making snarky, passive-aggressive comments about conservatives, and I ask that you show the same level of respect.

Old 02-14-2014, 11:57 AM

2,722 posts, read 6,109,727 times
Actually Detroit isn't a bad suggestion. I have a friend who lives in Corktown (couple miles from downtown) and she paid 3K for her house. The neighborhood seems to be up and coming, although slowly. Lot of nice condos/lofts downtown as well, if you have 100k to spend. If you can find work in your field, Detroit might be worth looking into.

Old 02-14-2014, 12:13 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,596,557 times
Snarky comments aside, there are some affordable and livable homes in and around Detroit. We also just had the snowiest January on record. Just a little over 2 and a half feet of snow.

Also, it's kind of exaggeration that Detroit is liberal. It's liberal to a point, but there's many other cities that I would think have more obvious liberal qualities. SE Michigan as a whole is pretty moderate. You can easily find people who lean towards either side of the spectrum depending on the neighborhood/suburb(s). Suburbs like Royal Oak and Ferndale tend to attract the more liberal crowd. Ann Arbor also attracts a fair amount of progressive thinkers, however, the city itself is relatively expensive.

Old 02-14-2014, 12:20 PM

1,678 posts, read 3,737,517 times
Minneapolis and/or St. Paul would fit this bill to a tee since the cities themselves tend to be liberal and the real estate costs tend to be more affordable compared with the coasts. Chicago would be another option although it is more expensive (probably not as much as Seattle though).

Old 02-14-2014, 12:21 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,517,476 times
I can't stop singing the praises of Minneapolis. It's very similar to Seattle, but snowy! It's super progressive, very artsy, great coffee, great restaurants, and surprisingly diverse. Though MPLS is cheaper than Seattle, it's around the national average in terms of cost of living.

I'd recommend Pittsburgh second. It's probably one of the most underrated cities in the country. Though Pitt is getting more expensive, you can still get a nice house for a steel . If you'd like a smaller city, Madison, Rochester, Albany, and Ann Arbor are all nice and inexpensive.

Old 02-14-2014, 12:40 PM

Thanks for your replies! I will look into Detroit further, all I really know about it is the recent bankruptcy and the enormous amount of empty houses, which makes me leery. But then again, the ultimate buyer's market, right?

I was actually thinking about Minneapolis / St. Paul because that's where all my extended family lives. (My parents were born in Minnesota, though they moved away before I was born.) Really lovely forests and lakes, too.

Old 02-14-2014, 12:45 PM

93,235 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Bigger Upstate NY cities, along with Ithaca, and near colleges in those cities in particular. Here is a neighborhood in the Syracuse area that would fit: Westcott, Syracuse - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Westcott
UNPA - University Neighborhood Preservation Association
Greater University Hill*

East Lansing MI could work, as well as Lansing neighborhoods near East Lansing. Check out other Big 10 college towns/cities too. Columbus OH would be the biggest of the bunch.

Old 02-14-2014, 12:57 PM

27,185 posts, read 43,876,617 times
Another city that might not have shown up on your radar is Salt Lake City. Yep...really. It's a rather liberal city with a Democratic Mayor and 5 out of 7 City Council seats are Democrats. The better walkable/centralized neighborhoods on the east side such as The Avenues, 9th and 9th, 15th and 15th, Sugar House, Federal Heights, Liberty Park and Harvard-Yale have home prices averaging in the 180K-300K range.

http://www.cityweekly.net/utah/artic...hborhoods.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.