Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 08:59 AM

6 posts, read 6,859 times

Advertisements

I am an expat currently living in New Zealand. My husband and I wish to move back to the U.S. but we are unsure what state to move to. This is purely just a notion at the moment but once we find a state we like we are going to try and get job offers there.

We thought that you guys would be a great help to us seeing as you are city/state enthusiasts. To help you help us pick a location we would like to bullet point a bit about us and our requirements.

* We are in our late twenties. Not big party animals, more of a bar type couple, hate night clubs. Our ideal night out would be dinner at a nice restaurant, a walk downtown, maybe a movie or a drink and then home.

* We don't like really busy cities. Anything under 500k is what we're looking for.

* Weather wise we abhor the heat but hate the cold. We would prefer a city that only gets cold weather in the winter (or none at all) but could not stand a hot weather climate all year round.

* My husband is a big sports fan so a state that has a few sports team (preferably an NFL and MLB team) is a pro.

* I hate bugs. I have a big fear factor for scorpions and big spiders. Not too bothered about your standard insects bees, small mosquitoes, but I couldn't live in a state that attracts lots of weird bugs.

* We aren't into the theater but like gigs, sports, and good state fairs.

* We're quite outdoorsy so we'd like somewhere that has hiking trails and is not far from/in a state with lots of rural areas.

* We hate bad traffic, bad public transport links (city must have Amtrak), rude people and bad airports.

* Not into the drug culture. Preferably a state that hasn't legalised weed.

* Political views: Moderate. Pro gay marriage, abortion, better gun regulation. Anti legalisation of drugs.

Our there any cities/states that spring to mind?

Feel free to ask any question that would help tailor a better answer.

FYI. We are not interested in any of the following states:
* Florida
* Arizona
* New Mexico
* Delaware
* Mississippi
* Louisiana
* New Jersey
* North Dakota

Thanks so much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2014, 09:13 AM

3,415 posts, read 5,130,432 times
Cleveland meets almost all of your criteria.

Old 02-09-2014, 09:17 AM

331 posts, read 465,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunder View Post
* We don't like really busy cities. Anything under 500k is what we're looking for.
* We hate bad traffic, bad public transport links (city must have Amtrak), rude people and bad airports.
FYI. We are not interested in any of the following states:
* Florida
* Arizona
* New Mexico
* Delaware
* Mississippi
* Louisiana
* New Jersey
* North Dakota
To narrow things down, here's a list of US metropolitan areas served by Amtrak, updated as of 2006, sorted by size of population. Just start at about #80 (Colorado Springs), strike out the places that are in the no-go states or climates, and you have a list to work with.

Old 02-09-2014, 09:21 AM

93,412 posts, read 124,052,832 times
Pittsburgh would be a good fit too. Perhaps Cincinnati, Kansas City and St Louis too.

Old 02-09-2014, 10:14 AM

Thanks for the replies!

A big requirement that I can't believe I neglected to mention is: LOW CRIME.

I know Cleveland has a pretty bad crime rate.

How about Cincinnati and KC?

Old 02-09-2014, 10:44 AM

93,412 posts, read 124,052,832 times
This could help: http://os.cqpress.com/citycrime/2012...teRankings.pdf

This list goes from lowest rate to highest. Here's another guide: FBI — Table 6

Here's another guide: Uniform Crime Reporting Statistics

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 02-09-2014 at 11:04 AM..

Old 02-09-2014, 10:57 AM

3,415 posts, read 5,130,432 times
Cleveland in the suburbs has a very low crime rate, and we have some very nice suburbs (Shaker Heights, Lakewood, Hudson, Chagrin Falls).

Old 02-09-2014, 10:59 AM

Thanks for the link!

Yes, I am aware that the surrounding area of Cleveland is pretty nice (I was born in Akron and lived in Willoughby until I was 7!)

Old 02-09-2014, 10:14 PM

40 posts, read 74,098 times
Yes i agreed..Cleveland is a very pretty city.

Old 02-10-2014, 05:58 PM

5,522 posts, read 8,775,164 times
Thinking a bit out the box, consider metro Detroit.

While city itself has its widely-publicized problems, places like Royal Oak, some of the Grosse Pointes, and Birmingham, are perfectly lovely little places with walkable downtowns. And a bit further away from Detroit (maybe a 45 minute drive) proper is the cool university town of Ann Arbor, while north of the city there are quasi-rural places like Walled Lake. Metro Detroit meets all criteria: Amtrack station (in the city), four distinct seasons, outdoor activities and boating and rural areas nearby or within a few hours drive at the most, RABID sports fans, plenty of entertainment opportunites (concerts by all sorts of folks regularly play Detroit and Ann Arbor), moderate politics-- and even, IIRC, a state fair! Traffic can sometimes be heavy, but it's nothing like the mega traffic jams you find in LA, NYC, DC, Chicago or Boston.

If you can consider Cleveland, you can certainly think of Detroit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.