Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 08:42 AM

5 posts, read 3,583 times

Advertisements

I'm going to be graduating from college with a degree in English in May and know that I want to relocate to an area more aligned with my interests and plans. I am considering trying to work in editing, particularly for a wellness blog or with an animal agency. Also, working for a university doing administration is another idea I'm toying with. As of right now, I live in a small commuter town in New Jersey, but don't necessarily want to work in NYC so I'm brainstorming other small cities or areas that might be good prospects. I'm really attracted to New England, but will take suggestions in the whole North-eastern region of the country. Things that I'm looking for in a place are a great food scene for vegetarians, a strong dog community, decent nightlife, some culture, and primarily liberal politics. The availability of job opportunities and entry-level work are givens. A lively (and preferably historic) downtown is a definite plus as well. I love Portland, Maine, but am just not sure if there are jobs there. Also, I've heard great things about Asheville, North Carolina, but don't want to go that far south. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2014, 09:21 AM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Ithaca NY comes to mind immediately.

Old 02-03-2014, 01:18 PM

I've never been to Ithaca, but have a friend who went to college up there and loved it. I do wonder about jobs. But I'll look into that. Thanks for the suggestion.

Old 02-03-2014, 04:59 PM

This may help: https://apply.icjobs.org/postings/se...&commit=Search

https://cornellu.taleo.net/careersec.../jobsearch.ftl

Departments: Human Resources: Employment

You can look at SUNY-Cortland and Wells College too.

Old 02-03-2014, 05:02 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,269,613 times
Burlington, VT. Eating Well Magazine has a job opening that might be up your alley in nearby Shelburne.
Employment Opportunity: Assistant Web Editor and Producer | Eating Well
You're welcome

Old 02-04-2014, 05:06 AM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hkal401 View Post
I'm going to be graduating from college with a degree in English in May and know that I want to relocate to an area more aligned with my interests and plans. I am considering trying to work in editing, particularly for a wellness blog or with an animal agency. Also, working for a university doing administration is another idea I'm toying with. As of right now, I live in a small commuter town in New Jersey, but don't necessarily want to work in NYC so I'm brainstorming other small cities or areas that might be good prospects. I'm really attracted to New England, but will take suggestions in the whole North-eastern region of the country. Things that I'm looking for in a place are a great food scene for vegetarians, a strong dog community, decent nightlife, some culture, and primarily liberal politics. The availability of job opportunities and entry-level work are givens. A lively (and preferably historic) downtown is a definite plus as well. I love Portland, Maine, but am just not sure if there are jobs there. Also, I've heard great things about Asheville, North Carolina, but don't want to go that far south. Any suggestions?
I would urge you to overlook regional stereotypes and consider Asheville as otherwise it would be a terrific fit given your criteria.

Old 02-04-2014, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
This is really great and helpful. Thank you so much.

Old 02-04-2014, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vter View Post
Burlington, VT. Eating Well Magazine has a job opening that might be up your alley in nearby Shelburne.
Employment Opportunity: Assistant Web Editor and Producer | Eating Well
You're welcome
I actually love Eating Well Magazine and have family in Vermont so this might be a great option! Thank you!

Old 02-04-2014, 12:58 PM

270 posts, read 468,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Ithaca NY comes to mind immediately.
If you like Portland Maine than you should consider the greater Boston and especially New Hampshire area. There are many people live New Hampshire or North Shore Massachusetts that work in Boston or Metro - West (Waltham) area. Even Portsmouth New Hampshire has healthier economy than Ithaca.

Most of the young people tend to move away from Ithaca or Upstate NY due to the economic decline, network isolation, harsh weather and high taxes. Portland Oregon is another great choice that will fit your healthy lifestyle. There is an awesome Vegan restaurant in Beverly Massachusetts called Organic Cafe which is 35 minutes (non-rush hour) North of Boston. Beverly is a gorgeous laid back coastal town rich in history and culture (Beverly Hills is actually named after this coastal town).

Stay away from Upstate NY because the economic situation is not looking good!!

Last edited by JMT; 02-04-2014 at 04:44 PM..

Old 02-04-2014, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superleggera View Post
That's not in New England area and it is the worst advice one can give.

If you like Portland Maine than you should consider the greater Boston and especially New Hampshire area. There are many people live New Hampshire or North Shore Massachusetts that work in Boston or Metro - West (Waltham) area. Even Portsmouth New Hampshire has healthier economy than Ithaca.

Most of the young people tend to move away from Ithaca or Upstate NY due to the economic decline, network isolation, harsh weather and high taxes. Portland Oregon is another great choice that will fit your healthy lifestyle. There is an awesome Vegan restaurant in Beverly Massachusetts called Organic Cafe which is 35 minutes (non-rush hour) North of Boston. Beverly is a gorgeous laid back coastal town rich in history and culture (Beverly Hills is actually named after this coastal town).

Stay away from Upstate NY because the economic situation is not looking good!!
Actually, Ithaca has a low unemployment rate and fits the criteria the OP mentioned. She didn't say anything about just New England and was open to any suggestions. If anything, Ithaca's overall cost of living would be lower than similar places in New England too.

OP, keep in mind that this poster is a stalker, essentially. I'll leave it at that.

Here is some more information: HappyCow- Ithaca, New York Vegetarian Restaurants - Smartphone Edition

Downtown Ithaca NY - YouTube

The Future of Downtown Ithaca - YouTube

Visit Ithaca, NY - Official Site for Ithaca, NY & Tompkins County
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.