Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the most common reason why people may relocate?
To be near family, marriage with spouse, or other human relationship 11 20.75%
Employer offers or requires job relocation 17 32.08%
Economic depression and job unavailability 9 16.98%
Financial hardship due to high cost of living or low wages 1 1.89%
Safety or health reasons 0 0%
Retirement 1 1.89%
Personal desire to relocate to a new area 14 26.42%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 11:15 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,937,475 times

Advertisements

What are the most common reasons why people may relocate?

U.S. Census Bureau statistics show that the average American only moves once every 8 years, and when they do move, most of them stay within the same county. Also, the stats show that the average American stays in the same metropolitan area their entire life or moves just once from one metro area to another.

I'm shocked. Based on these forums, it seems like people are constantly relocating, moving, etc. But statistics show that the vast majority of people don't really move too often or too far from one particular county.

Do you think these stats are believable? You can see them here, if you wish:

Geographical Mobility/Migration - Geographical Mobility: 2012 to 2013 - People and Households - U.S. Census Bureau

Also, what do you think are the most common reasons why people may relocate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2014, 11:35 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,840,284 times
Almost everyone I know has moved far more than once every 8 years and far further than the County or metro they were bone in. A few have stuck close and haven't ventured out, but they are the exception for the group I grew up with. Granted, most of us are back where we started again, so they might just be looking at that. If someone were to look where I was born and where I live now 50 years later, it is only a couple miles difference.

Most common reasons for me personally: Try a different location, different job, never for money or relationships.

It will be interesting for me to see others answers. I really think the group of people I grew up with are kind of an anomaly in this subject.

Old 01-26-2014, 02:56 PM

27,164 posts, read 43,857,618 times
I think other reasons may have dictated so in the past but feel Americans are going to have to suck it up and move in order to survive the "new economy". Some may wait and exhaust their finances looking in the same place over and over again without success but as that happens repeatedly I would hope others might begin to notice...as clearly the writing is on the wall for many cities in the US in terms of future job prospects and a living wage.

Old 01-26-2014, 06:59 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,979,445 times
All of the above.

Old 01-26-2014, 07:07 PM

7,723 posts, read 12,614,165 times
I couldn't validate those statistics because I'm not the average American. I've moved around so many times that it isn't even funny. But I will say that perhaps there is some truth to this. I've lived in Texas and I'm from Florida and most natives of those states have lived there their whole lives.

Old 01-27-2014, 11:55 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
Didn't do the poll because it only offered one choice.
Personally I've moved for at least 3 of those reasons (job, relationships, personal choice) and in another 10-15 years I'll move due to retirement.

Old 01-27-2014, 09:20 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,182,497 times
You're shocked that on a forum that helps people with relocation decisions to new destinations that many of the posters are moving to new places? I'm not. But to answer the question, it's tough because it's very much a combination of family/friends, finances, and job opportunities. It really comes down to two things: relationships and cost of living (incl. income).

Old 01-28-2014, 02:39 PM

12,882 posts, read 18,736,837 times
I've known this for quite some time. Like I always say, the only thing wrong with anywhere else is it's not here.

Old 01-28-2014, 08:03 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,496,781 times
I think things are changing and people are moving farther for jobs, internet and more affordable air travel has changed need to be close to family. I have moved 7 times across country since 2005. I've always moved b/c of a job or b/c I wanted to be there.

Old 01-29-2014, 04:33 AM

647 posts, read 1,216,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
I think things are changing and people are moving farther for jobs, internet and more affordable air travel has changed need to be close to family. I have moved 7 times across country since 2005. I've always moved b/c of a job or b/c I wanted to be there.
I don't think you are the norm at all based on people I know.

Seven times in 8 years a lot. Most people I know who ever moved moved once by 50 years old, and not more than two states away. 8 in 10 I know have never moved out of the same metro or state. The statistics are aligned with my anecdotes, since most people who moved stayed within the same county, let alone move out of the metro. Most people don't even go that far from home to attend college.

The only group I know who move as often as you do as a way of life is military people.

How do you make lasting friendships to depend on emotionally moving once every year?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.