Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2013, 07:56 PM

1 posts, read 955 times

Advertisements

Hello my USA friends, I need some help. In summary here is the situation:

I live in Australia and fairly well settled in terms of job, lifestyle, security, good weather etc. I have 3 kids who are almost finishing primary education. They are highly technical and intelligent and have shown signs of entrepreneurial skills and desire to challenge them constantly. Although they are physically here their minds are in the USA and needless to say Steve Jobs, BillGates and many other entrepreneurs have inspired them so much. They have bigger dreams than that I cannot comprehend myself. We are factoring kids and their future heavily in to this decision than our own lifestyle that we currently enjoy. We always wanted to give kids the best possible environment to succeed. There is one thing that all of us are seriously missing here. The drive, the motivation to excel, the challenge, and the achievements that give satisfaction to human spirit. Things are easy here. The environment does not encourage pushing boundaries and pushing human race forward. The place slows down everyone – I guess for some it is great! No offence intended.

So we are looking for a move (temporary or permanent) to experience USA.
Our top 3 priorities:
1) A good environment for kids to excel in their dreams
2) Good weather so we can have some outdoor lifestyle
3) Low crimes and low racism

The other priorities (employment opportunities, cost ofliving, house prices etc. are also important but not as important as the top 3).

We generally like reasonably bigger towns, cities (at least 200K population or closer to bigger cities) as oppose to remote or rural.
I am fully aware of healthcare issues in the USA (compared to AUS) and have factored that already. I have visited USA 3 times mostly around those holiday spots but never got to experience the life as a resident.

Given the above, can anyone suggest or share their experiences on a town/city in the USA that fits within our requirements?
Much appreciated everyone.

Last edited by Aus1; 12-25-2013 at 08:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2013, 12:25 AM

6,311 posts, read 6,824,391 times
Most cities in the US would give you these opportunities. Are there any factors you can tell me so I can try to narrow down the list?

Old 12-26-2013, 02:01 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,464,367 times
Seattle, Denver, Portland are good fits though there are many more!

Old 12-26-2013, 02:24 AM

51 posts, read 89,565 times
I'm going to be completely honest with you, there are some good cities, but all cities have crime. of course nothing is worse than detroit, but don't expect to never see crime or hear about murders on the news.

Seattle, Portland, Denver ( no beaches though ) and northern california are good choices.

Employment opportunities are pretty bad everywhere. you will be competing with over 1 million out of work americans, so you will definitely need outstanding skills. On top of that the way resumes, job postings and such work here is pretty stupid. you may be applying for a job that was filled 6 months ago and never know it.

I am going to say Portland or Seattle. great weather, great areas ( portland has a worse economy though ) and beautiful beaches in case you feel home sick ( I'm assuming you live near a beach but I could be completely wrong )

Old 12-27-2013, 03:04 PM

27,231 posts, read 43,984,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus1 View Post
Hello my USA friends, I need some help. In summary here is the situation:

I live in Australia and fairly well settled in terms of job, lifestyle, security, good weather etc. I have 3 kids who are almost finishing primary education. They are highly technical and intelligent and have shown signs of entrepreneurial skills and desire to challenge them constantly. Although they are physically here their minds are in the USA and needless to say Steve Jobs, BillGates and many other entrepreneurs have inspired them so much. They have bigger dreams than that I cannot comprehend myself.[b][b] We are factoring kids and their future heavily in to this decision than our own lifestyle that we currently enjoy. We always wanted to give kids the best possible environment to succeed. There is one thing that all of us are seriously missing here. The drive, the motivation to excel, the challenge, and the achievements that give satisfaction to human spirit. Things are easy here. The environment does not encourage pushing boundaries and pushing human race forward. The place slows down everyone – I guess for some it is great! No offence intended.

So we are looking for a move (temporary or permanent) to experience USA.
Our top 3 priorities:
1) A good environment for kids to excel in their dreams
2) Good weather so we can have some outdoor lifestyle
3) Low crimes and low racism

The other priorities (employment opportunities, cost ofliving, house prices etc. are also important but not as important as the top 3).

We generally like reasonably bigger towns, cities (at least 200K population or closer to bigger cities) as oppose to remote or rural.

I am fully aware of healthcare issues in the USA (compared to AUS) and have factored that already. I have visited USA 3 times mostly around those holiday spots but never got to experience the life as a resident.

Given the above, can anyone suggest or share their experiences on a town/city in the USA that fits within our requirements?
Much appreciated everyone.
Given your criteria (particularly in terms of cities/areas where drive, determination and entrepreneurship are heavily ingrained into daily life) I would recommend the NYC metro area. There are many areas that offer relatively affordable living in proportion to salaries and easy access to one of the world's major commerce centers. I would recommend checking out suburban NYC locales such as Montclair NJ, Flushing (Queens) NY or White Plains NY.

Montclair, New Jersey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Flushing, Queens - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
White Plains, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-27-2013, 03:24 PM

93,421 posts, read 124,120,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Given your criteria (particularly in terms of cities/areas where drive, determination and entrepreneurship are heavily ingrained into daily life) I would recommend the NYC metro area. There are many areas that offer relatively affordable living in proportion to salaries and easy access to one of the world's major commerce centers. I would recommend checking out suburban NYC locales such as Montclair NJ, Flushing (Queens) NY or White Plains NY.

Montclair, New Jersey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Flushing, Queens - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
White Plains, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Just to add to this, look into Nyack NY, the Half Hollow Hills school district area on Long Island and perhaps southern Orange County NY. A little tidbit, the Poughkeepsie-Newburgh-Middletown area of NY has some of the smallest pay gaps between Whites and minority groups, as well as being one of the most integrated metros that are in the top 100 in population. Orange and Dutchess Counties in NY make up this area. This may be due to the proximity to NYC, the presence of the US Military Academy/West Point and having some big companies like IBM.

Old 12-27-2013, 07:42 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,528,052 times
I'm thinking Silicon Valley in California, since your kids are into computer stuff.

I just moved from Santa Clara after living there 10 years. I only moved away because I couldn't afford to retire there on my social security. But, it's a great town with good schools, in the heart of Silicon Valley, and safe (low crime), and clean. Great weather. Diverse population. 30 minutes to the beach at Santa Cruz. Most of the other towns in SV are also safe with good schools.

So many learning opportunities here for your kids. These just scratch the surface:

Santa Clara University - School of Engineering -Summer Engineering Seminar (SES)

Fun Explorations at the Intel Museum: Summer 2013

Tech Academy of Silicon Valley

http://www.knightfoundation.org/blog...ate-and-learn/

Silicon Valley summer camps: 5 for your little super achiever - Silicon Valley Business Journal

Learning | The Tech Museum of Innovation

Find a Summer Camp in Silicon Valley - Summer - Cupertino, CA Patch

Really, it goes on and on.

Old 12-27-2013, 07:56 PM

5,654 posts, read 6,224,030 times
Before you go much further in this you should research immigration laws ….. it isn't easy to just move here. In order to work legally you generally have to find an employer willing to sponsor you who will say that the company could not find anyone qualified in the U.S. I also understand you can come and start a business or invest if you have enough cpiatal (the buy your way in option). There are some other categories as well, but I believe those are the most common for people looking to move here for employment. I'm not saying I agree with all this, but you did not mention anything about your immigration status in your post so I wanted to make sure you were aware of the issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.