Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2020, 07:29 PM

14,022 posts, read 15,028,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
But, yet, you named numerous cities that were cool. Funny, that.
Sure I think that those cities are cool cities. I am not infallible.

Like I know people who just up and moved to Nashville, NYC and LA with no plan just kinda moved there to be there and figure the rest out later. I also know someone who moved to St Louis and someone to Charleston, SC but they went there after they got a job. They were not looking to move there. They wanted a job and the job they got was out ther

I just think the idea in the OP that Chicago is considered cooler than Philly as something as a fact is presumptuous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2020, 07:36 PM

142 posts, read 86,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Sure I think that those cities are cool cities. I am not infallible.

Like I know people who just up and moved to Nashville, NYC and LA with no plan just kinda moved there to be there and figure the rest out later. I also know someone who moved to St Louis and someone to Charleston, SC but they went there after they got a job. They were not looking to move there. They wanted a job and the job they got was out there

I just think the idea in the OP that Chicago is considered cooler than Philly as something as a fact is presumptuous.
No you gave Nashville, Atlanta and Seattle as up there with LA NYC cool. You did. So you also lessen Philly. You see less cool in older legacy cities but for LA and NYC. I see that in your post. Then you add examples of older cities people moved JUST because a job happened to br there. No because the really wanted it as if nothing cool there.

Last edited by ThinkPositiveRespect; 04-16-2020 at 07:45 PM..

Old 04-16-2020, 07:36 PM

7,271 posts, read 10,601,386 times
Quote:
People move to Miami, Portland or Nashville because they want to live there and they’ll figure out the details later. People don’t dream of moving to Houston, it’s a calculation.
There's probably a good amount of truth to that, but I think there's a chicken-egg conundrum here.

Are cities "cool" because lots of people want to visit or even relocate to them, or do people visit/relocate to certain places because they're "cool"? It's difficult to answer, because coolness isn't a quantifiable trait. It's really a "je ne sais quoi" that no one can quite put their finger on.

That said, it's clear that some cities really benefit from great PR and media buzz. But the irony is that the cool factor that many cities may have possessed at one time is undercut by becoming more mainstream and previously being only on the radar of those "in the know," like the neighborhood speakeasy.

Old 04-16-2020, 07:55 PM

142 posts, read 86,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Are cities "cool" because lots of people want to visit or even relocate to them, or do people visit/relocate to certain places because they're "cool"? It's difficult to answer, because coolness isn't a quantifiable trait. It's really a "je ne sais quoi" that no one can quite put their finger on.

That said, it's clear that some cities really benefit from great PR and media buzz. But the irony is that the cool factor that many cities may have possessed at one time is undercut by becoming more mainstream and previously being only on the radar of those "in the know," like the neighborhood speakeasy.
1st bold is yes and tourist feed it with feedback, word of mouth, social media etc. It can be earned by a city too. Desirability can be more then being the newbie city that is growing fast and have more corporate relocations. But it clearly helps them get a boost forward.

2nd bold is a yes as above. They earned it despite or in spite of their bad points we hear. They did something right. and got recognized by it.

Simple and any city wants these to gain...

Last edited by ThinkPositiveRespect; 04-16-2020 at 08:06 PM..

Old 04-16-2020, 08:59 PM

6,808 posts, read 6,049,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoNgFooCj View Post
It's just a fact that compared to Chicago, no one really cares about Philadelphia. It's just too insignificant. All people ever want to associate with it is Rocky, Cheesesteaks, Bad white sports fans, Cream cheese, or Danny Devito. They don't really even think about the city and probably think it's a neighborhood of Brooklyn. Chicago's also associated with tons of TV shows and songs and stuff similar to Philadelphia, but it seems like its identity as a city is 10 times stronger and it inspires interest to actually move there unlike Philadelphia.
Oh, come on now. I feel like Philadelphians seem to have a serious inferiority complex. Many people in my social circles consider Philly to be very cool and desirable.

Old 04-17-2020, 12:05 AM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
Oh, come on now. I feel like Philadelphians seem to have a serious inferiority complex. Many people in my social circles consider Philly to be very cool and desirable.
I don't think that they care.

Old 04-17-2020, 02:43 AM

700 posts, read 422,416 times
Philly is cool to me. Cool is also subjective. You have people out there that think Detroit is cooler than NYC. Liberal/White collar cities doesn’t make you cool automatically. It all depends on the taste of people.

Philly gives you that real blue collar environment which might be cool to someone who can relate. Not going to lie as someone with many family members in Philly I like eating there and seeing regular people instead of the constant hipster crowds i see in Brooklyn who most of the time lack sauce.

Old 04-17-2020, 07:20 AM

9,380 posts, read 9,342,287 times
Quote:
I think Chicago is known as an important cultural and economic center . But like Boston, or Houston I don’t think it’s thought as a particularly cool or trendy place like NYC, LA, Atlanta, Seattle or Nashville.
None of these are in the same league as NYC or LA. Nashville is cool and fun though.

Atlanta is just a no, I don't know anyone or heard of anyone who just up and moved to Atlanta because it was cool... I have heard of that scenario for only NYC and LA. I haven't heard it for Seattle and wouldn't really expect it. Nashville, wouldn't surprise me, and DC is another potential move just to move.

Old 04-17-2020, 08:45 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,262,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I don't think that they care.
You’re right. I moved to Philly because I think it’s cool. And it is cool. Who gives a flip what some teenager on the internet thinks?

Old 04-17-2020, 09:10 AM

14,022 posts, read 15,028,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
None of these are in the same league as NYC or LA. Nashville is cool and fun though.

Atlanta is just a no, I don't know anyone or heard of anyone who just up and moved to Atlanta because it was cool... I have heard of that scenario for only NYC and LA. I haven't heard it for Seattle and wouldn't really expect it. Nashville, wouldn't surprise me, and DC is another potential move just to move.
Atlanta is an “it City” for African Americans

Portland at least was a city like that where people just moved to with no plan. It was a big problem in that city from 2005-2015ish that migration was much higher than job growth. That IMO is what a”cool city” is.

Chicago if anything is hampered by the lack of migration.

Now being a “cool city” at least excessively so might not even be a good thing like it probably hurt Portland
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.