Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 11:22 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,939,398 times

Advertisements

Are there any conservative metro areas that exist in the Northeast? I'm specifically talking among the nine states of PA, NJ, NY, CT, MA, RI, VT, NH and ME.

I am guessing that certain areas in upstate NY, such as Buffalo, Rochester and Syracuse. And maybe a few areas in Maine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2013, 11:44 AM

14,352 posts, read 17,015,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Are there any conservative metro areas that exist in the Northeast? I'm specifically talking among the nine states of PA, NJ, NY, CT, MA, RI, VT, NH and ME.

I am guessing that certain areas in upstate NY, such as Buffalo, Rochester and Syracuse. And maybe a few areas in Maine.
You're not going to find a conservative city proper in the Northeast. That said, suburbs vary tremendously from area to area. Overall I'd say the most conservative suburbs/exurbs are found around Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, and Rochester. In all these cases once you get out to white second-ring suburbs you're mostly looking at towns which vote 55%-60% Republican pretty consistently.

Old 11-26-2013, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
You're not going to find a conservative city proper in the Northeast. That said, suburbs vary tremendously from area to area. Overall I'd say the most conservative suburbs/exurbs are found around Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, and Rochester. In all these cases once you get out to white second-ring suburbs you're mostly looking at towns which vote 55%-60% Republican pretty consistently.
Baltimore (and Maryland) is not in the Northeast. It's in the South. What about Burlington, VT? Or Manchester, NH? Or Boston? I would think Boston is ultra conservative, since that's one of the places where early America started.

Old 11-26-2013, 11:57 AM

7,330 posts, read 15,381,291 times
Quote:
I would think Boston is ultra conservative, since that's one of the places where early America started.
... are you serious?

Old 11-26-2013, 11:57 AM

1,772 posts, read 3,517,044 times
I think Lancaster, PA is going to be your best bet.

Old 11-26-2013, 12:03 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,781,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
I think Lancaster, PA is going to be your best bet.
Yup. Even the Lancaster Arts Hotel has Fox News (not CNN) going in its breakfast nook.

Old 11-26-2013, 12:13 PM

27,552 posts, read 28,636,675 times
Quote:
EVERY state in the northeastern U.S. now issues same-sex marriage licenses - except for Pennsylvania.

So, if you're looking for a conservative metro area, then I suggest looking in that state.

Old 11-26-2013, 12:21 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,537,454 times
Quote:
Baltimore (and Maryland) is not in the Northeast. It's in the South. What about Burlington, VT? Or Manchester, NH? Or Boston? I would think Boston is ultra conservative, since that's one of the places where early America started.
Oh please. Maryland hasn't been southern since Georgia grew beyond a prison colony.

Old 11-26-2013, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Oh please. Maryland hasn't been southern since Georgia grew beyond a prison colony.
I know, but according to the U.S. Census Bureau, Maryland is part of the South region. Same with Delaware. I mean, being a New Englander myself, Maryland and Delaware certainly feel a little southern to me.

Old 11-26-2013, 12:56 PM

14,352 posts, read 17,015,156 times
Quote:
You cannot possibly be this ignorant, but just in case...

Vermont is one of the most liberal states in the country. In 2012, there were only two towns in the entire state which were not carried by Obama: Morgan and Maidstone. Both are in the "Northeast Kingdom" portion of the state, which historically tended to be more conservative, but now tends to vote more like 55%-60% Democratic, as opposed to 65%-70% like the rest of the state.

For Massachusetts, I'll just post this image. There are some light-red towns, where Romney got between 50% and 60% of the vote. They're distributed all over the place, but mainly suburbs of Springfield, Worcester, or in clusters to the north or south of Boston, but quite a ways out.

New Hampshire is the most conservative New England state. While Manchester and Nashua are more 50/50 splits, there are plenty of towns around them which are Republican leaning. In some of them Romney got over 60% of the vote. This is right-wing by New England standards, but not incredibly so.

None of these conservative towns are in conservative metro areas, however, because they're all in areas where the core city, and many other suburbs are left-leaning. Or they aren't in any metro area at all.

I agree that if you consider things like Vermont to be "metro areas" you might as well look at Central Pennsylvania. Definately the most conservative part of the Northeast. Seven counties voted over 70% for Romney!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.