Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2006, 10:13 PM

10 posts, read 21,926 times

Advertisements

my husband and I are looking for a good place to relocate our family to from nyc, brooklyn. We are interested in affordable living, decent schoools and an open job market. it's rough in the city here, been here all my life Im tired and the cost of living is to high. Were looking for a nice town with houses for rent before we buy with low crime, drug activitty ang racial violence. A nice divesified place would be excellent!
ANY INFORMATION WOULD BE VERY HELPFUL IN OUR SEARCH FOR A BETTER LIFE FOR OUR CHILDREN WITH MORE EDUCATIONAL OPPRTUNITIES.THANKS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2006, 08:10 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,413,910 times
Default Look at TN!

East TN maybe just what you are looking for. However, you would have to be willing to lead a much slower pace of life, be accepting of others, to be a bit humble at first as it does take a little while for the natives to really warm up to you. Oh, they will be very nice and polite from day one, they just want to see if you will adapt or try to change the area. We have 4 beautiful seasons with mild winters. Schools are great! Sulivan County and Oak Ridge are rated some of the best in the country. Knoxville and Johnson City areas both have several really good colleges. crime and drugs are low, sure they are here, don't know of a place that doesn't, but not even a fraction of the likes of NYC or any other large inter city in this country. I moved here 10 years ago, raising 2 teenage boys and we LOVE it here! We enjoy life and get get a lot more for our hard earned money as far as housing ans such. Property taxes and insurance are cheap! The sales tax is high 9.75% on everything including food, but no state income tax.
So, look into TN!!!
Hope that helps.

Old 10-19-2006, 01:40 AM

38 posts, read 348,043 times
Default Relocating

Hi empress, I posted a reply yesterday morning, it was quite helpful and I see that it has been removed from the thread, though I cannot imagine why.

Hope you get some good info from posters on this msg board.

I mentioned Stark County, Ohio. Check it out and pm me if you would like any info. Good Luck!!

Old 10-19-2006, 05:30 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,773,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glasshouses View Post
Hi empress, I posted a reply yesterday morning, it was quite helpful and I see that it has been removed from the thread, though I cannot imagine why.
You can see the reason when you go to the post you wrote. If you can't find it just click on your name and "view posts by user". If you need further help send me a private message to Yac .
(press ctrl+f to use search feature in your browser and type "private message")

Old 10-20-2006, 03:48 PM

38 posts, read 348,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glasshouses View Post

Hope you get some good info from posters on this msg board.

I mentioned Stark County, Ohio. Check it out and pm me if you would like any info. Good Luck!!
**This is my second reply as moderator has chosen to remove my post asking to know why my original response, which was well thought out and helpful, was removed.

I am not a realtor, nor responded with any negativity or other msg which could have been misconstrued.

Mod told me to pm him/her, which I did, and have not been able to ascertain what original msg prompted the deletion.

Having a.. you know why... thrown out into the board raises lots of questions. I don't appreciate the implications. You won't find me making nasty remarks. Check out my previous posts where I asked questions and responded in kind.

Thanks and Goodbye.

Old 10-20-2006, 04:16 PM

Question starting fresh

hi I recently posted a thread in need of info for pennsylvannia, maryland and virginia info on decent places to relocate my family to thats affordable, clean low crime gangs and drugs with excellent schools. Can anyone help????????
My post was recently removed I'm not exactly clear on why , so here goes I'm new to the site not sure how the system works yet so please bare with me all and modereator mike

thank you

Old 10-20-2006, 04:54 PM

26,357 posts, read 49,427,247 times
Default Here's why....

Your posts were removed because you posted the same inquiry to many states. Our guidelines permit you to post such a message only one time and when you have no idea what state you want to go to, we end up putting it in the General U. S. forum until you narrow it down.

When you narrow down your search and have specific questions about a certain city or state, then you should go to that state forum and ask specific questions. Everyone in the country wants an affordable place with great schools and low crime....to ask for generic info like that you many as well ask for all the phone books in the country....most anyplace will do

For anyone to give advice worth hearing, you must tell people how much rent can you afford, now many bedrooms do you need, what kind of jobs do you need, etc.....

But please, don't post the same question in multiple states, as we'll delete all but one. There are hundreds of thousands of nice places, you must narrow it down and be specific. Until then, read some postings in states you may have an interest in.

There is a wealth of information already here in each forum, thousands of users before you have already asked about affordable rents, low crime and great schools. In every state. Multiple times. Don't re-invent the wheel. Search out those existing answers. Use the Search Forum tool with key words like "affordable" "schools" "crime" "rent" or whatever your need is and see what pops up.

There are postings in General U.S. with tools and tips for how to find a place, or try this link:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/gener...here-move.html

Cruise the site, see how others do it, you'll do fine.

s/Mike

Old 10-20-2006, 05:33 PM

thank you mike i will do that

Old 11-29-2006, 03:57 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,178,052 times
Well if you want to avoid gangs, you need to avoid the D.C. area, which cuts out a big chunk of Virginia and Maryland.

What fields do you and your husband work in? Do you prefer city, suburban, or country living?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.