Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 04:09 PM

581 posts, read 968,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Delaware and Rhode Island?
Delaware's got the urban northern half and "Lower Slower Delaware". And they don't seem to like each other very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2013, 04:09 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Delaware and Rhode Island?
Rhode Island barely has rural areas, so it might not count.

Old 11-14-2013, 09:43 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,800,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I remember stooping at a convenience store in Vermont...
Did you drop something?

Old 11-14-2013, 10:29 AM

14,352 posts, read 17,012,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tezcatlipoca View Post
Delaware's got the urban northern half and "Lower Slower Delaware". And they don't seem to like each other very much.
Plus Wilmington is a poor, majority black/latino city, and semi-ghetto in places as well, so it's not really very much like the rest of Delaware.

Rhode Island has some of the same issues. I mean, there's less political split between Providence and the rest of the state, but it's still a majority-minority city which is low income and not viewed as a tremendous asset by the surrounding suburbs.

In general, for little urban-suburban-rural division, I think you need two out of three of the following.

1. The cities have to be not significantly racially different from the state at large
2. The cities have to be not particularly lower income than the state at large
3. The cities have to not vote appreciably different from the state at large

One option which hasn't been discussed which also fits this model is New Mexico. Albuquerque's politics are right around the norm for the state, it's racial balance is pretty similar, and I don't think it's appreciably wealthier or poorer.

Old 11-14-2013, 10:34 AM

132 posts, read 545,584 times
Of all states that have urban areas, I nominate Arizona. No matter if you're in Phoenix, Tucson, Yuma, Prescott, Bisbee, Show Low, or Bullhead City, you'll generally fine a lot of libertarian-leaning Republicans, visible leftist-hippie and Tea-Party minorities, Mexican-American culture, "snow birds," a laid-back approach to to punctuality and styles of clothing, pickup trucks, and guns.

Yes, Tucson leans Democratic, but the attitudes of the people are the same as the rest of state, though the demographics in that one city might be a little different.

Old 11-14-2013, 12:50 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,676,186 times
What about Alaska?

Old 11-14-2013, 01:06 PM

14,352 posts, read 17,012,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
What about Alaska?
Good point.

Some other states not suggested so far.

Hawaii: There is some animus between Oahu/Honolulu and the outer islands, but minus the tourist retiree factor the outer islands are pretty similar. The level of friction is more similar to that between Boston and the rest of Massachusetts.

Oklahoma: Although OKC and Tulsa are a bit more diverse than Oklahoma as a whole, they're pretty right wing as major cities go. They also don't tend to be viewed as local Detroits by the local population

Idaho: Boise is very white and only slightly less Republican than the state as a whole.

Old 11-14-2013, 02:12 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
What about Alaska?
Hmm. I'd think Alaska would have a rather large one, considering how remote and isolated the rural areas while the largest cities aren't too different from typical mountain cities. Nearly half the population lives in or around Anchorage.

Old 11-25-2013, 05:45 PM

375 posts, read 799,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I'd also nominate Maine and New Hampshire. There's a bit more of a split between Portland and rural Maine, but it's a matter of degree. And in New Hampshire, the biggest cities (Nashua and Manchester) are actually more right-leaning than a lot of the small towns in the western part of the state.

There isn't a huge difference between Charleston and rural West Virginia either. I haven't spent much time in them, but from what I gather the differences between the cities and the rural areas in the Dakotas, Nebraska, and Iowa are pretty minor.
Being from Nebraska and having spent a lot of time in Iowa and South Dakota (maybe your'e accurate about North Dakota, i'm not sure) i'd say only South Dakota's main urban areas are similar to their rural areas. Granted the state of SD is decided into the hardcore conservative/libertarian west river folks, and the east river which is more like western minnesota, kind of conservative, but a decent amount of liberals.

As for Nebraska and Iowa, it depends on the city. Omaha is way different than the rural areas since it has become a decently large city and more well known. It's also split down the middle politically. Lincoln is too thought its more because it's a college town. The rest of state is very Republican. As for Iowa, it depends on the city. Some cities are different than the rural areas. Iowa has some cities that are different. I think Iowa City is pretty different just because it's extremely liberal, but I guess you could say most of the cities are like the rural areas (a slight democratic tilt for the most part, but not as liberal as IC)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.